FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Curious Case of the Color Changing Coolant!

Post Date: 2016-12-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Salangsang View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Salangsang Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: The Curious Case of the Color Changing Coolant!
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 7:22pm
Been a while Digital Storm Forums!

Salangsang here. I had a couple of threads a while back regarding my Bolt 3. It's been a dream so far.

However, I recently stumbled upon an irksome issue: the color of the liquid inside my LC loop has changed from red to dirty yellow. Should I be worried? Is some chemical reaction going to implode the solar system because my fluid has shifted color?

Here are some before and after shots:

Day One (July 1st, 2016)

This first image is a screencap of a video I took (hence the slight blurriness). Nevertheless, the fluid is pretty clearly identifiable as red.

Current State (December 29th, 2016)

This second image was taken with my phone camera. Flash was on and the fluid is evidently YELLOW. Without flash, you cannot see the liquid very well. One thing to note is that this color change is not noticeable when my purple LED strips are on.

I do not know exactly when this shift occurred. All I can say is, so far, there has been no performance dip. Thus, this issue seems benign (until further notice).

Now I put it out to you, the esteemed gentleblokes of the Digital Storm forums.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Salangsang

Bolt 3:
LC'edIntel i7 6700k @4.6gHz
LC'ed nVidia GTX 1080 @2038mHz
16GB 3000mHz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum
250GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1TB WD Caviar Black
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 7:36am
Heat, contaminates and oxidation can alter the fluid.  Not sure what it is in your case, but give DS a call and ask them.   Let us know.  Big%20Smile

Quote Salangsang Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:18am
Originally posted by bprat22

Heat, contaminates and oxidation can alter the fluid.  Not sure what it is in your case, but give DS a call and ask them.   Let us know.  Big%20Smile

Thanks for the info, Bprat22!

Since you mention heat, I feel that might be a culprit (I've put this thing through some serious Star Wars Battlefront marathons at max settings!)

I'll update this thread when I get the chance to contact Digital Storm.

Cheers!
Salangsang
Bolt 3:
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 1:21pm
You have to regularly change the coolant in that particular model. How frequently this has to be done depends on how hard you're pushing the OC & how much heat is continuously being handled by the cooling system.
Looking at the fluid in the photo, I would say you need to completely drain the coolant, flush the cooling system out with distilled water(not tap water or anything else that could potentially have metal cations, minerals, microbes, etc.), dry it, and replace it with new coolant(typically consists of distilled water with additives such as an anti-microbial and other compounds that lower the surface tension of the coolant).

I do not have any personal experience with this particular liquid coolant setup(or any liquid cooling systems in general), but to me 6 months doesn't seem to be a very long time. It could be just from handling a lot of heat on a regular basis and/or a small amount of contaminant(i.e. microbes). Anyway, I would get it tended to as soon as possible since a change in coolant composition could reduce the longevity of the pump.

Quote Salangsang Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 2:59pm
Thanks for the input!

I actually don't have a lot of time right now because of college applications and school, so marking out a time slot to deal with this will be tricky.

I definitely the overclock/daily workload is pretty intense: I have been pushing 2050mhz on the core and 11000mhz on the memory.

--Salangsang

Bolt 3:
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:53pm
Good so that means you won't be gaming much, if at all, so I would at least lose the overclock temporarily until you can get the water cooling system cleaned and the fluid replaced. Otherwise, like I pointed out before, you're just decreasing the life of the pump by continuing to run that same coolant through it.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned anything about temps, but not sure if this was one of the things that fell under "performance".

Quote Salangsang Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:39pm
Acetylide,

My temperatures are pretty good actually. In Star Wars: Battlefront, my most demanding game, my GTX 1080 usually settles between 54-57 degrees Celsius depending on the map. As for my CPU, again depending on the map, temperatures will hover between 72-80 degrees celsius.

The CPU seems a little high to me, but it is on the same loop as the GPU, which I think might be why.

--Salangsang
Bolt 3:
 Post Reply Post Reply