FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Think Twice On McAfee AV Install! Other options?

Post Date: 2017-05-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Think Twice On McAfee AV Install! Other options?
    Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:46pm
If you ever have the option to install McAfee AV, think twice about it! If the system comes with it installed, you might want to get it removed! As for alternatives, I'm uncertain at this time. Someone recommended to me to just stick with Windows Defender and use Google Chrome for web browsing instead of IE, because a lot of the AV products tend to develop problems as time goes on with all of the updating, but if that were the case, then Windows Defender would be prone to the same issues, would it not?
Nevertheless, I still prefer having something extra working proactively for web browsing that can work without any conflicts. This way if a website or link exhibits suspicious behavior, I'll be alerted and just avoid/blacklist it. I've heard mixed reviews about Windows Defender, and I really don't have much faith in MS when it comes to AV protection.

Ever since approximately 2 weeks ago, trying to open the McAfee control panel takes around 3-5 minutes(or even longer), and then another 3-5 minutes for it to respond. I checked resource usage of the system and I don't see anything going on(high CPU use with fans running, large amount of reading/writing to the drive, updates, etc.) in that area which would explain it.
Basically, it tells me McAfee software is going down the toilet when my system and all of the other applications work fine while in contrast, accessing and using the McAfee control panel is like working in frozen molasses. 10 days left on the 3-year subscription which I definitely won't be renewing!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:47am
I've seen lots of people on here recommend Eset Nod32 and i decided to bite the bullet and buy a year's subscription to see how well it fairs against defender.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2017 at 12:26pm
I use Firefox for ISP and Norton for AV.   Even though Norton might be a more resource hungry than others and do a little worse in false positives, etc, I have had no reason to change from Comcast free Norton to paying .   

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2017 at 1:24pm
ISP= Internet Service Provider @ Bprat. Think you mean browser....lol
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:04pm
    Yes, you re right.   I'm so confused.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:51pm
I can't wait until I get a Digital Storm desktop, then I won't have to deal with this nonsense and need to worry so much about being picky with AV software. I use a laptop that has a 5700 rpm HD in it, so backing up, scanning, updating, etc., can be a slow process. Plus I don't like to leave it on like I would a desktop.

I'm going 1Tb or greater on the M.2 slot for the primary OS drive, but haven't decided on anything beyond that. I'm all about security & protection and have been fortunate enough with avoiding viruses, malware, etc., since the mid 90's when I first started using the internet.

I'm probably going to just go with Faronics Antivirus. Its a bit pricey, but the big plus for it is it will be able to update whenever it needs to without having to disable Deep Freeze. The US Army uses it, so it must be decent enough for a home user.
 Post Reply Post Reply