FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Three similar options, tough choice

Post Date: 2014-12-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ShrikeArghast View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Three similar options, tough choice
    Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 4:16pm
Budget:
$2000 (roughly)

Expectations:
Flawless ultra settings on most current games/MMOs.

Usage:
8 hours daily.

Special Needs:
N/A

Saved Ticket #:

Specifications:

1) Budget option:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Bolt II
Processor: Intel Core i5 4590 3.30 GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS H97I-PLUS (Intel H97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition (Quiet) (Gold Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

2) Midrange option:

Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z97N-WIFI (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition (Quiet)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

3) High-end option:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z97N-WIFI (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition (Quiet) (Gold Plus Rated)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking

So, here's the scoop.

I recently got into graduate school... again (first MA I earned has turned out to be worthless; going back to get a more practical degree. Life lesson, folks -- never go to school for something you love D:).

The university offers a one-time $2k loan to get a new PC. Intially, I was hedging on whether or not to accept it, but 4 days ago my 2009 Alienware suddenly suffered some kind of catastrophic MOBO/GPU/Power Supply combination failure. Given its age and specifications (it was a single-core based machine with a very dated AMD-make GPU), I have elected not to repair, but move on with a complete system replacement.

I'm not a tech-savvy individual in the slightest, and am not the type of person to swap out hardware piecemeal anyway. I normally transition from machine to machine every 5 years or so, and tend to 'overbuy' so that upgrades are not a looming necessity. Typically, I see a rig wear out physically long before its so dated as to be unplayable.

So, over the past couple of days I have been doing extensive research on CPUs, GPUs, motherboards, RAM, cooling systems, etc. I've explored many brands, and have finally narrowed the field to three makes of the Bolt II -- all of them listed above. The price points range, without seasonal rebates, from $2088 at the high end, to $1887 on the low. None of the systems represent massive differences in performance benchmarks; none represent enormous fluctuations in price. I'm just trying to zero in on the right one.

Here are my two big concerns.

Overclocking vs. not.
Neither option 1 nor 3 is overclocked. I tend to be very shy of overclocking -- I have never done it to a CPU myself, and never owned an overclocked machine (actually, the Alienware may have been overclocked, but it was done at the factory). However, the 240mm liquid cooling system is clearly enough to handle OCing the i5 4690K. The question is, should I?

I have read multiple debates on wear vs. performance, and there seems to be no solid consensus either way. Some people favor buying higher-end cards rather than messing with OCing; others lower performers and going all-out on the overclock. I simply do not know which to go with, particularly since taking the i5 OCed is roughly $100 less than the i7. What's more...

i7 vs. i5
... I'm not sure if there are other considerations here beyond processor simple speed. I know that the base i7 processor is the more capable performer than even an overclocked i5 in most benchmarks (though not by much), and is capable of hyperthreading. Finally, the i7 is regarded as the superior candidate for 4k gaming. But, while I find 4k intriguing, I simply do not have the disposable income for that kind of a spread at the moment.

Since most games do not require hyperthreading right now, this seems to be a question of buying for now or buying for the future. But am I likely to see a bevy of software released in the next half-decade that does demand the performance of the i7? Or is that yet still further out? Like I said earlier, I prefer to overbuy... but I don't want to buy something totally unnecessary in the foreseeable future (which is the same reason none of the PCs have over 16 GB of RAM -- nobody I have talked to seems to think that's going to be needed anytime soon).

Ultimately, I want a machine capable of ultra settings in MMOs (notably WoW, but also pending games like EQ Next). I know that, even with the i7, my performance in raids is likely to drop below that 60 FPS mark. But even Warlords of Draenor isn't exactly pushing the threshold of visuals in online gaming, and I need to think about a future (sooner, rather than later) where I am playing more demanding software than Blizzard's.

Yes, a $200 spread doesn't seem like something to agonize over, but I have been going back and forth over this decision for almost two days now and am no closer to making the choice. Should I take the 'risk' (if there is even one on a modest 4.0-4.4 overclock) on the i5... take the plunge on the i7... or simply settle for something more basic considering that I am not likely to be 4k gaming anytime soon?

I apologize for the length of this post, but any guidance would be exceedingly helpful.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Edited by ShrikeArghast - 09 Dec 2014 at 4:22pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:46am
Hi Shrike and Welcome to the forums. 

You can't go wrong with any of the builds, but I would opt for the i5-4690k with oc'ing.   For gaming, the i7 does little right now but does help with multi-tasking and most other tasks.  If in the budget go for the i7.  But, i5 is all you need right now.  I would also get oc'ing.  It is safe and will not effect the longevity of the chip.  Only in those that push the vcore to the max for higher oc'ing does it effect it.  

On the surface, the 4670k Turbo mode clock and stage 1 oc'ing doesn't appear to matter much, but with oc'ing the speed is on all 4 cores, while with Turbo its only on a single core.  Not a huge performance leap, but does help.

I would go for the 16gb ram.  8Gb is all most need right now but memory is starting to get better utilized.  Plus, the mini mobo only has 2x DIMM slots for ram sticks, so you won't be able to just add 2 more 4GB sticks later on to get 16gb.  You'd have to swap the 2x 4gb for 2x 8gb .  Not a big deal, but more money. 

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 10 Dec 2014 at 5:47am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 6:25am
Another way to go, to save some money being a struggling studentHahaha, is to check out the Vanquish level 4 for $1400.    It has the same i5-4690k cpu overclocked, the gtx 970 and the same SSD and HDD drives.   It also has a full size motherboard with 4x DIMM slots for adding more ram if ever needed. 

Just a thought, not knowing if the Bolt's smaller size is the primary draw.  Big%20Smile

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:51pm
I very much appreciate the feedback. However, as I am prone to do, I actually went a completely different way in the end, heh. I decided not to get the nice chassis and just go with the very basic Virtue. The result was a LOT more bang for my buck, minus the lighting and appearance frills. This is the final result:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm VIRTUE
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97M-PLUS (Intel Z97 Chipset) (MATX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 600W Corsair CX600
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking

Ultimately, I think I ended up with a more robust, future-proofed system with the flexibility to upgrade should the need ever arise. Yes, the i7 is probably unnecessary (but I also don't need to OC it to achieve 4.0 GHz, which I think is just fantastic), as is the 16 GB of RAM. The larger SSD? Probably also debatable. And, of course, the Virtue is in no way 'sexy.'

The price difference, though? $20 more than the original 'midrange' option in the OP. Not bad, IMO.

Edited by ShrikeArghast - 10 Dec 2014 at 5:59pm
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 9:05pm
Nice build Congrads
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 3:04am
Very nice build.    Congrats.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 4:15am
Nice build. You did a good job of keeping the price down with out sacrificing too much performance. Too bad you didn't go with the Stage 1 OC for $50.

Frank

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Nice build. You did a good job of keeping the price down with out sacrificing too much performance. Too bad you didn't go with the Stage 1 OC for $50.

Frank

Thank you!

My feeling on it is this: the i7 turbos at... what... 4.2? I think it's 4.2. Anyway, until yesterday I was going to get the i5 and wind up with an OC that was between 4.0 and 4.4. So, really, I'm getting essentially that performance without having to OC the card.

If I come to a point in a couple of years where I feel like I am really hurting for that performance, I will send the PC back to DS (or take it to some reputable local company) and get it overclocked. But I felt like overclocking it right now was just overkill... especially since I have no imminent plans (or money) to put together a 4k setup. Why stress the card if it's not necessary?

Edited by ShrikeArghast - 11 Dec 2014 at 1:29pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 7:18pm
You have an ASUS board and unlocked processor so you can go into the BIOS or AI Suite on the desktop and run the EZ Tuning Wizard. The board will test itself out and overclock the processor on its own (it won't get the absolute most out of the processor, but it will get most of the way, in addition to running a dynamic overclock, depending on the load the processor is under at any given time).
Krudd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Krudd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 8:46am
^This.

Intel builds these processors to be overclocked, and Asus and other manufacturers have the same mindset when designing motherboards. There's no reason not to do a basic overclock with the tools provided to get the most out of your system.
Aventum II
HydroLux Copper
i7-5930k
ASUS Rampage V - X99
32GB DDR4
4 x GTX980
3 x ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift
 Post Reply Post Reply