FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time for a new PC!

Post Date: 2014-10-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
frnk55 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote frnk55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time for a new PC!
    Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 5:12am
Hello all!  I would appreciate help with my build!

Budget is up to 4k.
Usage is for 90% gaming 10% internet.
I game at 1900 x 1200 but will go up in the future.  Running duel monitors would be nice.  Oh and I play Skyrim and the new Fallout when it comes out.

Configuration Code: 1067051
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,365.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1067051

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Military-Grade TUF Components)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance <br><strong></strong>
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Hole: Graphics Card Area Only: Laser Cut and Mount a Side Window 140mm Fan <br><strong></strong>
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Here are some questions.
1.  I'll stick to 16 ram but is it worth spending more money on a different brand or specs?
2.  Storage set as far as SSD goes I don't have a clue except 500gb would be nice.
3.  Cooling.  I've never had H2O.  Maybe you can talk me into it.  I'm paranoid of overheating so if not H2O can I get the max # of fans put in?  And if so what are where?
4.  Is this the best case to get to keep stuff cool?
5.  Graphics card.  Is this the best Gforce 970 SLI to get?
Thank you all so much!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 8:48am
Hello and welcome to DS, the Hailstorm is mainly for watercooling setups so not sure how it would fair out as a aircooling setup. Someone would have to say for sure. The corsair air 540 i hear is a good case for an aircooled setup
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 2:09pm
The higher priced ram isn't needed. What you have works great. The faster 2400 speed will give little or no difference. If you wanted to get into overclocking your ram to max values, that's when the better batched ram with taller heat spreaders might help.

The Noctua works great and for reliability, is tops.   The liquid coolers like H100i for example also work great. Sealed with no maintenance and have a good reputation. The smaller pump assembly of the H100i does give easier access to the ram sticks. Noctua is quiet and just works for years.

If you want greater airflow while keeping the Noctua, the top can accommodate added fans.   The h100i rad mounts up there, so no added fan, but it does have 2 fans.

All the fans mentioned for the Hailstorm is if you went with water cooling. The added fans would be for the radiators mounted top and bottom.

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Oct 2014 at 2:10pm
frnk55 View Drop Down

Quote frnk55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 3:28pm
Cool.  Ty both for the replies.  Now I just have to decide.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 3:34pm

1.  I'll stick to 16 ram but is it worth spending more money on a different brand or specs?

Not really necessary for gaming, stick with what you have or go with the DS certified.

2.  Storage set as far as SSD goes I don't have a clue except 500gb would be nice.

The Samsung 550 Pro is the best SATA SSD available right now. This motherboard supports SATA Express (SATAe), which is faster, but I don't know of any SSDs that are readily available right now. I find 256 GB of storage on my SSD works, but I don't keep a lot of games installed. Right now I have Lord of the Rings Online and Civ 5. If you want lots of games installed you can put the ones you play less onto the hard drive.

3.  Cooling.  I've never had H2O.  Maybe you can talk me into it.  I'm paranoid of overheating so if not H2O can I get the max # of fans put in?  And if so what are where?

Liquid cooling can lead to better overclocks, with the Stage 1 OC you chose you should be fine on air. Closed loop coolers are a viable option. The Custom loops for everything get really expensive fast.

4.  Is this the best case to get to keep stuff cool?

The Corsair 900D case you selected is targeted at those going for custom water cooling, not air cooling. Here is a review you should read before you make your purchase: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6900/corsair-obsidian-900d-case-review-think-big-thats-only-half-as-large. I would suggest the Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 for the superior air cooling, here is a review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7124/corsair-carbide-air-540-case-review or the Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Apollo), here is a review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7904/corsair-graphite-760t-case-review.

5.  Graphics card.  Is this the best Gforce 970 SLI to get?Thank you all so much!

At 1900x1200 two GTX 970's ought to be more than enough. I don't play either Skyrim or Fallout, so I can't talk to the needs of those games. If you are going for SLI, you should ensure that those games actually use SLI. If not, you would probably be better off with a single GTX 980.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by danjw1 - 19 Oct 2014 at 3:43pm
frnk55 View Drop Down

Quote frnk55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 4:24pm
frnk55 View Drop Down

Quote frnk55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 4:27pm
If I decided to go to H2O (the cheapest one) would it be overkill to add 2 fans on the top and upgrade all fans to Corsair airflow?
frnk55 View Drop Down

Quote frnk55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 3:33pm
Alex or someone please give me you're opinion.  I would really appreciate it!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 3:41pm
Hi frnk55,

When you select liquid cooling, if you mean the cheapest one, are you talking about our HydroLux systems? It doesn't really matter which, if our team feels you need additional airflow, they will automatically add it for you during testing and contact you.

The Corsair Airflow fan upgrade is nice, it's not necessary but looks great and has a small performance advantage.

Based on your questions and overall budget, I highly recommend that you contact our team directly for sales help on the configuration you would like to buy. This way they can walk you through the process.

Cheers!
frnk55 View Drop Down

Quote frnk55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 4:06pm
Ty Alex and all!!Awesome
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 4:39pm
You're welcome!
 Post Reply Post Reply