Trying to Overclock my GPU

Post Date: 2012-12-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
redsoxfanatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote redsoxfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Trying to Overclock my GPU
    Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 4:23pm
Ive recently started to try to overclock my GPUs. I have 2x GTX 570 HD in SLI, and am using EVGA Precision to overclock. I am able to adjust voltage/clock speed fine, and I can run the stress test that is built into Precision just fine. I have been trying to get to overclock to 797mhz (from 732) core clock. Everything works fine, until I go to play a game. I have tried Battlefield 3 and Planetside 2. In both, temps are fine (~40C) and after about 15 minutes, or less, I get a BSOD code 116 and my computer locks up.

Any idea why this might be happening? I just got my GPUs liquid cooled to help with overclocking, and so far Im having no luck. I thought that it might be my PSU not pulling enough power (corsair gs800), but I have tried the 797mhz clock with no change in voltage, and I still got the crash.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 7:16pm
It could simply be the voltage not being enough for your overclock or the GS800 is not able to provide enough clean juice. When you're overclocking, components become very sensitive to DC output noise from the power supply. If a power supply is already being pushed 80%+ of it's capacity, it can start to show ripples.

I also wanted to say, I'll be honest with you, it's not really worth overclocking the graphic cards. You're going to increase the heat output and only get a small gain in FPS.

Plus, you run the risk of the cards going bad really quickly too.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote redsoxfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 8:31pm
thanks Alex, that is what i was starting to think myself. i will leave well enough alone before i end up breaking something
Groupie
Groupie

Quote redsoxfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 3:27pm
apparently i just cant leave well enough alone

i just picked up a seasonic x1250 to replace the GS800. installation was a breeze, and a fully modular PSU is great for cable management.

havent had too much time to spend working on the overclock, but so far i have gotten up to 850mhz core @ 1.1v. hopefully this weekend i can fiddle with it some more to work the clock up/voltage down.

temps after 25 minutes in BF3 on maxed settings was 55C, which i think is pretty darn good for the ~10 increase in FPS i got.
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 5:33pm
I had same issue with my 680, never got a blue screen though, but anyways I had to lower the overclock when in games to be stable but would pass ANY stress test know to man!...and turning the power target to max didn't help! I don't know why that is I didn't care to research it further, all I know is when I hit 88% on core clock in black ops 2 my game would close and my card would down clock itself back to msi defaults! I am at 1135 base/1200 boost now, any more than that and thats what happens lol

And I really don't think it has ANYTHING to do with the PSU, cause it does that same in my friends computer with the 1500 watt big boy lol

Edited by Divine - 01 Apr 2013 at 5:38pm
Haf-932
Asus Maximus Iv Extreme
2600k Overclocked ~ 4ghz
8gb Corsair Dominator DHX RAM
160gb Intel SSD
WD Black 500GB
850 Corsair PSU
Msi Twin Frozr Gtx 680
Groupie
Groupie

Quote redsoxfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:00pm
the problem i was having, was that the overclock was drawing more wattage than my PSU could supply. w/ the overclock on my CPU, lets say it draws ~150W at load. at factory clocks, my GPUs (gtx 570 HD SLI) were drawing ~300W each. so i am already pushing ~750W with just those 3 components, which is living on the edge with a 800W PSU.

when i overclocked the GPUs, their power draw increased to ~375W. which meant a total of 750W just from the GPU. when testing using the EVGA Precision stress tool, your CPU isnt under too much of a load. so i was able to get seemingly stable clocks in that test. but when i went to play BF3, where the CPU *is* at load, my PSU just couldnt pump out enough juice to keep everything running, and my GPUs would conk out.

now that i upped my PSU to a 1250W, ive got tons of power to spare.

im not sure exactly what your issue is, im not familiar with the 680 cards. it doesnt sound like the clock is stable tho, maybe try giving it more voltage, or lowering the overclock a bit to see if you can find a more stable overclock.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:40am
Hey redsoxfanatic,

Thanks for sharing your details, that will likely help anyone who searches for the forum for a similar issue. If you don't mind my asking, what is your wattage draw when the system is idle, or close to idle (browsing the web, etc.)?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote redsoxfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 2:59pm
i think idle is around 500 watts, i didnt pay too close attention to it. the load power consumption was what i was most worried about, since then was where i was running into problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply