FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ultra wide screen

Post Date: 2017-04-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ultra wide screen
    Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:58am
The monitor I am looking at getting is 29inch 21:9 2560x1080.
The monitor I have is a square 23/24inch 1960x1080.

Is it worth getting the ultra wide screen or is it not really worth it. I don't watch any movies. I do a lot of internet surfing, some you tube videos, play only a few game series (all totalwar, ck2, Sims 4, ultimate generals.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:49am
That to me would be a strictly personal choice.    You won't be getting a better picture, the added 2560 resolution being used to render the wider screen beyond 1920.   

I would have to game on one to say for sure, but off the top of my head, don't think I would like a look.   

Maybe others with actual experience with ultra wide will chime in.

mrdarcey View Drop Down

Quote mrdarcey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:15am
I have a 34" 3440x1440, and I love it. The increased real estate gives a better field of vision for both gaming and productivity without the annoyance of bezels. I can open up to four windows comfortably, and if I'm gaming with friends I see far more than they do (as long as they aren't running three monitors). I don't think I could go back to a single 16:9 screen at this point, and I actually prefer my 21:9 home monitor to my 3 screen work set up.

You do need more GPU to drive it, obviously, but for the games you play, @ 1080p, the refresh rate isn't a huge issue. If I switch to 2560 x 1080, I can run TW Warhammer @ 60 FPS+ with an OCed 970, though not on Ultra.

I also like the curve, if you're wondering. Though if I were doing any video/photo editing that's a no.

You don't watch movies, but I will say that if you stream, almost all content comes 16:9 with bars embedded. You don't actually get to use all the screen without using a Chrome add-on that inevitably crops the picture. That's annoying.

There are also still a lot of game titles that don't have native 21:9 support, though this is getting better. The revised Skyrim, for instance. You can usually find some kind of fix at wsgf.org, though they will also sometimes crop or have HUD problems. TW and CK2 both have native 21:9, and are awesome.

Like anything, there are pros and cons. It was the right choice for me for a single monitor set-up, but YMMV.
 Post Reply Post Reply