FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading Graphics Card Help

Post Date: 2015-03-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bhop11 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bhop11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading Graphics Card Help
    Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 3:12pm
Hey guys,

I bought a Digital Storm desktop many years back and I think it might be about time to upgrade some areas. Specifically, the graphics card. Unfortunately my minimal knowledge of computers has all but left me, so I'm looking for some opinions on if I should replace anything and what areas are best to focus on. I'm a pretty casual gamer, but would like a system that can run newer rpg releases (such as the upcoming Wither 3).

Below are the specs for my current system. I think my main question would be what type of graphics card I should go for, and if a "bottleneck" would exist if I were to upgrade the GPU (for example, if I upgraded to an Nvidia GTX 970 would any other part of my system prevent the implementation/optimization of the card?). Feel free to address any other areas you think might be bringing me down.

There is definitely a potential that I might as well just get a new system rather than upgrade some areas, but hopefully not.

Thanks for the time and help,
Bhop

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
CPU Boost: Overclock the processor between 3.6GHz to 3.9GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 3:24pm
You should not need anything else for an upgrade to a GTX 970. Your PSU is overkill, so no problem there and the rest of your system looks good.
gbutts55 View Drop Down

Quote gbutts55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 4:09pm
lol cant believe you bought a computer with a 1000watt powersupply and just a gtx 570. Did you have sli plans back in the day that did not come to fruition or something?
 Post Reply Post Reply