Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Using Hot Swap Bay in Corsair Air 540
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:10pm
Hey Folks,
Probably a stupid question. When I first ordered my Air 540, I purchased it with a 1TB SSD. I think I want to add some storage eventually. For that I'll probably go with a large HD as the price point is probably more cost efficient. I was thinking of just plopping that into the Hot Swap bay (there are 2 in the Air 540). A couple of questions:
1). Is there any issues adding this way via the traditional way?

2). I'm assuming I just 'snap' these in with the label up?

3). Any recommendations for a good size hard drive? I know WD Black seems to be the popular one recommended. Also, as a side note, what are the differences that the colors denote for WD (i.e. Black vs. Red vs. Blue etc)?

4). I'm assuming that DS would hook up these bays so that all is functioning (i.e. power to them and hooked to the motherboard)?

Thanks in advance!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:08am
Hi Dax......Adding a drive through the hotswap bay is the same as the convential since hotswap is just prewired with SATA and the psu power cable.

They just slide in like you said but some need a little extra push to seat properly.

Last I looked the Green was slow and not recommended for gaming but just cheaper storage like photos, etc.   The Blue is the fastest with its single platter but only 2 year warranty and use to be limited in size because of the single platter.     The Black is the most reliable and has the longest warranty at 5 years.   

DS should have hooked the backplanes up during the building.

Have fun.

Edited by bprat22 - 11 May 2017 at 12:09am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:44am
Thanks for the response bprat!! So it's just click in and play essentially. Cool! I just bought the 4 TB black and will try to swap it in today.   
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:09am
Hmmm - OK so I was psyched as a 4 TB WD Black hard drive went on sale at New Egg (yay for timing) which I snapped up immediately. I've plugged this into the hot swap bay. It sounds like it's powered up as I can hear the platter spinning (I think anyway). However, I see no sign of this hard drive. Is there some other step I need to take? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:45am
Bummer.    Look at the back plane of the hotswap bay, from the back side,  and make sure a SATA cable is running from it to a SATA header on the motherboard.

Does it show in Disc Management.   If not, either the hot swap is bad or not wired or you have a bad drive which is a stretch.  If it shows and no blue bar on top, then right click empty space and you might have to enable, initialize or format it.  

Good Luck.  Big%20Smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:23am
It doesn't show in Disk Management. I've tried both bays now. If they didn't hook these up, I'm going to be a bit peeved to be honest. Unless they are both dead, I'm not sure what's going on to be honest...I can't really tell about the cabling as the first bay is directly in back of the power supply and the other has all the wires covering it on the 'closed' side of the Air 540...I am fairly certain that I hear it 'whirr' though...

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 17 May 2017 at 8:24am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:12am
It could be whining, spinning up, if the power from the psu is connected to it, but still no show if the data line, SATA, isn't. 

Start at the mobo and trace each SATA cable  from the SATA headers and see if any head behind the psu or where the other hot swap bay is.

You could, to check the drive, just lay it in the case, hook the psu and run a SATA cable from it to the mobo and see if it works.  That'll definitely tell you if its the drive or hot swap.

Edited by bprat22 - 17 May 2017 at 11:13am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:17am
Another thought....try hard rebooting the rig after mounting the hdd in the hot swap bay.  Or, slide it in while there's power on.  Could be a finicky Bios but who knows.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:50am
Thanks bprat. I did the hard reboot thing which didn't work. Unfortunately I don't have any cables (unless they're in the box that came with the computer when I purchased it) to check the hard drive. I've tried to actually trace the SATA cables and it isn't easy with the divided format of the case and all the wires basically behind one and the power supply behind the other and then there's the divide. I've actually threw an email into Support about this. I'm hoping it's an easy fix but knowing me with computers it probably won't be - lol.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:01am
Hey Dax.    I looked up the 540 yesterday just to brush up and the Hot Swap  bays come with the wires already hardwired into the back.   There should be a small bundle of wires, probably 2 cables, the power and the kinda flat SATA , coming up from the backplane.   But I see your point. With the psu and the other wires all sharing space it could get messy untieing the bundles.

There is a possibility that a Bios tweak is needed for it to recognize the HotSwap, like making sure AHCI is selected for the controller its plugged into.   Most mobo have 2 SATA controllers, Intel and Maxwell as an example,  and sometimes changing which one is used can help.   But, you need to know which one.

DS, hopefully, has a quick Bios fix for this.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:00am
Thanks bprat. That's mighty nice of you to do the extra leg work and I appreciate your help. Hopefully it is something that simple and not a bad hot swap bay or something - lol. *crosses fingers*
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:31am
Always a pleasure.Big%20Smile

I'm dying to found out what it is.  I hate unresolved issues.  Hahaha
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:18am
That's a true tech support reply!!   
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:28pm
Hey bprat, where did you see that information about the hot swap bays being pre-wired out of curiosity?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:42pm
I read the review thru Anandtech....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7124/corsair-carbide-air-540-case-review

On the 2nd page, the last pic has a great pic of it.   

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:49am
Ahhh - thanks for that. So here's what happened. I did contact tech support for DS. Once I got them on the phone, they sort of kind of tried to help - lol. The phone connection was terrible. I was on a landline and the tech's phone seemed to cut in and out pretty frequently where I couldn't hear most of the sentences he was saying. Tried to call back and the same thing - I'm not sure what was going on there. They did try to direct me to check to see if the cables were hooked up but the tech had indicated that I needed to start pulling things out (i.e. video cards etc) which to be honest I didn't want to start 'monkeying around' with if I could only understand every 5th and 6th word. In addition, it didn't seem as if he was overly familiar with the case (thus my question to you previously as to where you found that information about the pre-wired). So, I bit the bullet and went to the local shop near me. I purchased a WD Black 4 TB SATA hard drive.   Come to find out, the hot swap bays are perfectly fine according to the place I brought it. The issue is that the 4 TB Hard Drive is too big and isn't in the bios. I can't go higher than 2 TB. So now I have a 4 TB hard drive that I can't use (I don't want to mess with flashing bios etc even if there is an update to the bios - if it ain't broke, don't fix it) and now need to buy a 2 TB - lol. So that's where I ended up with this (and somewhat frustrated)!! I appreciate the time you took to try to help.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:17am
Thanks a ton for the info, Dax. 

I would've thought that the 4Tb drive would have at least shown as only a 2Tb drive, but still would've worked, sassuming it was formatted as a MBR drive..  But not sure.

I also thought you might be able to mount the drive, right click it in Disc Management and select "convert to GPR" to get the 4Tb to show.  But, you couldn't even get tjhat far.  Last I looked, MBR only went to 2TB and GPT was needed for above 2Tb.

That drive might be no good.  But, who knows with all the different variations going on. Hahaha

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:58am
Actually they did confirm the 4 TB drive did work. They also tried to partition it into 2 TB per partition and that didn't work either. I'm not sure what to do with the thing. Maybe give it to one of my nephews - lol...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:12pm
Got it.   Quite the experience you just had. You gave it a hell of a try.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:28pm
Mehh - it's all good I guess. It is what it is. I guess the good news is, is that NewEgg is running a special promo on WD Black 2 TB drives today and tomorrow so I'm getting a decent price on it at least - lol.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:07pm
Been keeping track, hope you get that 2TB one plugged and playing. Big%20Smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:15pm
Thanks hoserator!! It looks like it may be delivered tomorrow. Let's hope it works!!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:53am
Well, I got my 2 TB drive and plopped it into the hot swap bay and lo behold it's there. Yay!! Now what to do with the 4 TB WD Black drive that I have - lol. I guess I could always get a USB bay and use it that way one of these days if needed...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:13pm
Nice.

Not to beat it to death, but I still think that 4tb drive should be usable. If you feel like checking it and I understand the will to move on, Wstern Digital gives you free access to Acronis True Image software for cloning, formatting, etc.   I have it for my backup WD drive.     I'm just wondering, and don't know for sure, if Acronis will see and format your 4tb drive.

Maybe it won't help since it doesn't even show, but maybe worth a look.

Enjoy the new drive and good to know the hot swaps work.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:27pm
Hey bprat,
So you're not buying that this is a mother board limitation? To be honest, I didn't even check the Asus Rampage V to see if that was the case. Hmmm...maybe I'll check when I have a couple of minutes and the mode strikes me. I'd prefer to use it than not obviously (though then I'm pretty much in storage overkill - lol)...
Cloverking View Drop Down

Quote Cloverking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 11:52am
I know this is an old post so it may fall on deaf ears, but I have this rig as well, got it about 7 years ago. I just recently picked up a 1TB HDD that I wanted to use as a seperate storage from my SSD which runs my OS and game files. I inserted to the slot, confirmed SATA cables and Power cables were connected but drive wouldnt show up in Disc Management or BIOS ( thinking i needed to format there first) I have a MSI z370 A Pro MOBO. read through the comments to see if there was anything I havent tried, not sure if yall think the cables might have gone bad. however I dont think i hear the drive spinning so there may be an issue with power getting to it somehow

Quote Cloverking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 11:53am
Correction, was trying to connect to the Hotswap bay as well, just wanted to clarify
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 1:22pm
Hot swap slots can be very finicky.   Sometimes it’s necessary to jiggle and push the hard drive into the slot. Hitting it a little harder than normal has been needed for drives to seat.   Make sure the power and SATA are connected both at the back of slot and the other ends, power from psu and SATA plugged into the right motherboard slot.

You can double check the drive itself by connecting it outside the Hotswsp slot….power plug and SATA directly to the drive. If no power or showing in Device Manager then could be a bad drive.   

Try different SATA connections on the motherboard.   If you have a multimeter check the power plug has juice. Try a different power adapter from the harness.

Good luck.

Quote Cloverking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 1:51pm
Thanks bprat! I will try those out, sometimes I can be err on the side of caution when using too much force on connections, Im trying to tell if there is power getting the to drive, can you hear most HDDs spinning once power is connected and PC is on?    I have about 6 SATA connections, is it safe to powerdown every time? even if this drive is new/doesnt have OS or anything?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 2:11pm
The only time I can usually hear a spinning hard drive is when it’s failing.    I guess getting close enough to it might work if it’s spinning.

Perfectly safe to power down all you want.   If your old HD has an OS on it then no problem.   The Pc already knows which drive to use for booting and will ignore a different drive and any OS on it, unless you unplug the original drive and boot with the new.

Quote Cloverking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 2:27pm
yah, i guess i should have rephrased that, if im testing 6 ports, i was seeing if I can just keep the PC on and try each SATA port without rebooting, not sure if I will have to reboot anyway for it to recognize it or if it will pop up on the BIOS once one works, just seeing if theres a time saver at all
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 2:39pm
I have plugged in to SATA ports while the pc was live, no problems, but wouldn’t recommend it.    Can’t remember if I had to reboot anyways.

Quote Cloverking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 2:54pm
ill play it safe, not worth saving a few minutes of time and risking it
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 4:52pm
Interesting!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/

Quote Cloverking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 11:47am
update: after more research and prime day deals lol ive decided to just make the switch to a m.2 1Tb storage and use that as my primary OS and game storage and use my 500gb SSD that is already installed as secondary storage. the m.2 is only $100 and I really dont store alot of data other than gaming on this computer, appreciate the help on here though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>