FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox Review

Post Date: 2017-08-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox Review
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:20am
Note: Huge kudos to "bprat22" and "DST4ME" (wherever you are) for the input on the builds.

After 6 years in service it became painfully obvious that the computer that I had built, and was top of the line when I built it, could no longer support the tasks I needed it for, which is primarily gaming.

So after moving from Sweden to the US I started looking into getting a new top of the line computer that would last me another 4-5 or maybe even 6 years. I considered building myself again but after some thought I realized that I did not have the time to do so and also getting warranty on the build was something that I would like to have on top of the warranty on the parts. The fact that Digital Storm also allow you to make your own upgrades without voiding the warranty is a big plus.

So after searching the internet for custom PC's and looking through many different vendors I decided to try Digital Storm as I was looking to get an aesthetically pleasing to look at as well as a powerful PC. I opted for the Velox since I was going for a mostly fan cooled rig and looking at the images and speaking with other users on the Digital Storm forums this seemed to be the best option.

Digital Storm offered me the customization that I wanted and specifically the parts that I wanted. They also special ordered the graphics card that is put in since they did not keep that in stock.

During the entire process Digital Storm kept my updated of every stage of the build process and estimated delivery times which is both great and a bit annoying as it gets closer to delivery you get more and more excited.

I must admit that I was a bit concerned about shipping my new rig from California to New York via ground shipping, but I was pleasantly surprised that the box the computer came in was in such good condition and even if if the box had been more manhandled it looks as if the inside protection would have been enough to make sure that nothing would break.

After unpacking and re-seating one memory module that had become dislodged I was able to boot the system up without any issues.

I have been using it for just over 2 weeks now and I can fully say that have been enjoying every minute of it. The performance has been rock solid so far with everything maxed out in every game, please note that I have yet to upgrade from a 1920 x 1080 screen, and I have been keeping an eye on the temperatures, something I'm a bit obsessive about, and I'm very pleased that even at full load it keeps the temperatures at a good level.

Getting a pre-built Computer will always be more expensive then if you do it yourself, but you also have to factor in the time it takes to build and test the system. Given that fact, I fully recommend Digital Storm to anyone that want a new computer but does not have the time/skill to build their own, it does not matter if you just need an entry level gaming/office PC or as in my case a rig with the power of a small nuclear plant.

The specs:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING 11GB GDDR5X (Custom order)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Yellow - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans

Edited by Spjutulf - 17 Aug 2017 at 9:46am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 9:43am
Very very nice Awesome. Thanks for the review, acknowledgments (DST4ME is missed and bprat22 is the guruWink) and images. DS sure builds a nice system.StrongBig%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 17 Aug 2017 at 9:45am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:58am
That is a sweet looking rig.      Gotta love the Velox. The extension sleeves really add to the looks.

Congrats and Enjoy.   

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Aug 2017 at 11:00am
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:29pm
Sexy ! Sexy ! Sexy !

Very nice build

Very nice case

Nice Review as well

Congrats and happy gaming

bprat22 and DST4ME got it right as usual

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:55pm
Congrats! Strong
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 2:29pm
Thanks guys!

It has been a long decision process, mainly held up by my move here to the US and getting used to everything. I was looking at the first post I made and it was made 1 year ago. Even though the build we settled on 1 year ago was a good one, I'm very happy that I did take some extra time so that the 1080 Ti could arrive as the difference in price at that level is not that much and gives that extra umph.

Cheers

Spjutulf

Edited by Spjutulf - 17 Aug 2017 at 2:35pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:27pm
Thank you for sharing your review!
Ron64 View Drop Down

Quote Ron64 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:01pm
Congrats. Nice build
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 4:17pm
nice build and thanks for sharingAwesome
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply