Vram temps

Post Date: 2016-06-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vram temps
    Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 11:41am
Just a quick question, i just recently installed the Hybrid cooler on my Titan X and dropped temps from 67-70@60% fan speed on load to 46 degrees full load overclocked 115 on the clock and 300 on the memory. I know i could go higher but im concerned about the vram temps. Does overclocking the gpu clock or memory cause the temps to raise? or just  the general heat from the card and the oc'ing. It does have a backplate and has a fan blowing on it. 

I have tried using GPU Z to check the temps but this card doesn't have the sensor, i have used a digital temp reader and it says 111degrees but not sure how accurate it is..any thoughts?
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 12:13pm
Also would like to note..i do not need to increase power target if everything is stable with core clock and memory clock being boosted correct? it's only needed for stability? I did tests with 110 and 100, no difference. If i kept it at 100 that would bring the vram temps lower right?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 2:27pm
first off, that cooler looks like it only covers the gpu and is not a full cover water block.  however, you still have the fan (it's a hybrid) cooling the VRM and other components.  try increasing the fan speed if you need more cooling over the VRM's and other components.

as for overclocking your unit, you definitely want to increase the power target first and foremost.  this will allow you to achieve your maximum potential oc.  some cards allow only +10%, some up to +25% over base.  i would tune this to max.  i would also increase the temperature target to 90C (you aren't going to hit that so don't worry).

next, see how stable you can get the card w/o increasing the voltage and only increasing the clocks (offset values).  you can then decide if you want to increase the oc further by adding some voltage to achieve stability. 

use Unigine Heaven and/or Valley to test stability. 

my 980ti's are: +215 (core clock offset); +500 (memory clock offset); 110% power target; +17mV (gpu voltage) for 1.18V

these (titan X and 980ti) are essentially the same gpu.  in the 980ti's case just with fewer cuda cores. 

Edited by db188 - 16 Jun 2016 at 2:34pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 2:40pm
My power target goes to 110%, currently my card is at 115 core clock and 300 memory with 103% power target..while testing valley i never saw it go above 101..but what im worried about is the vram temps because of the position they are in..i know they are on the backside of the card under the backplate. I do have a fan positioned few inches to the right of the card up and angled down (140mm aeroshark) . If im not seeing power go above the 101, is 103 fine? or do i absolutely need to push to 110 even if im not going to oc anymore.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 3:15pm
all of the stuff (VRM and Memory) that needs to be cooled is on the same side of the pcb, where the drum fan also resides.  this fan is what cools all of the components besides the gpu (which is cooled by the AIO cooler).  the back plate is for looks and some protection to the circuitry on that side of the pcb. 

46C (as you reported) is very good for this cooler.  i see no cooling issues.  i also see that you have room to push the oc higher and gain more performance while still maintaining low temps.  it's up to you.  you have to judge for yourself how much power limit you need.  you can tell if you hit a wall and the card starts to throttle down.  it's all a balancing act.  

fyi. the VRM's are the square things aligned in a semi (squre?)circle around the gpu.

Edited by db188 - 16 Jun 2016 at 3:26pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 3:19pm
If your vram is under 97c which is suppose to be the max then you are ok.
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 3:25pm
Wish gpuz was able to tell me my vram temps but they dont show on it. Ive read that the vram temps are what limit people on high they can push the oc because of how hot they get on this card. Everywhere else is cool just not sure about the chips

kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 3:51pm
Did some re-testing and found the sweetspot that OC i stated and that is 107% power target..if i go higher then ill easily put at 110
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 3:56pm
sorry bro, i was unaware that there were memory modules on both sides of the pcb. i still don't think you should have trouble overclocking this card's memory.  as long as your ambients and overall case cooling (perhaps a directed fan at the back plate) are fine.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 4:09pm
i know Enzotech has some cheap heat sinks you can install on the memory ic's on the rear of pcb.  you'd have to remove the back plate.  they supposedly drop temps pretty significantly.

http://www.enzotechnology.com/air_cooling.htm

Edited by db188 - 16 Jun 2016 at 4:14pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 4:38pm
Yep I do have a fan blowing on the backplate..about 4-5 inches away 12v full speed. Im still using my 800d so its not the greatest for aircooling but i also have an 80mm 31 cfm fan intaking at the front that supplies that 140 mm im talking about..so i "think" i should be okay.
The backplate that im using did have thermal pads for each ram module as well.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 4:56pm
Why don't you get a side window with 4 x 140mm fans on it like I did for my 800d
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 5:00pm
It would destroy the look for me and just add to the noise levels, I'm looking into getting the Caselabs SMA8 or SM8 with the pedestal and going from there.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 6:13pm
Get quiet fans, with fans and you can always control them, mine is not loud at all, no louder then then all the fans on the rads.

Custom case is nice but IMHO not necessary, also that case looks a lot like the 900d
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 6:42am
Yeah i will never buy the 900d...i went down that road already and the quality was so awful. Id rather spend the money on something higher quality and allow me to change anything i want whenever. I couldn't believe how flimsy it was, the door never lined up correctly, hinge was defective and the plastic pieces that hold the front plate were broken on arrival. Heard nothing but amazing reviews on caselabs cases so ill be going that route.

BTW I just realized that the handheld ir temp gun i have was set to f and not c so after checking the backplate during gaming it was at 45c.  so with heat dispersion along the plate i can expect the vram to be little higher but still safe..think im okay now. My temps never hit 50 during anything so i set my fan speed to hit just below audible(65%) around 48-49 degrees to help with internal cooling.

Edited by kernols - 19 Jun 2016 at 6:45am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 6:54am
Perhaps you have shipping issues, I have the 800d, and you are right the sides don't match up prefect but as far as moving stuff around and or anything breaking, I had no issues.

But at the end of the day its about want you like and if that is what you want go for it.

Glad to see your temps are fine, one of us should have double checked the C vs F with you but we sometimes forget.
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 7:09am
Well the 800d im using has been fine, all lines up no issues for the years ive had it. when i tried the 900d i was very unhappy. i see a lot of people with same complaints so i figured meh im not gonna try again.

Lastnight i switched a fan that angles down towards the card. Put in my noiseblocker 140mm pk3 and right now its idling at 22c.

Was on GTA 5 this morning at had no issues with temps so im pretty happy, only spent 60 on the pump and 30 on the led shroud from ebay..nice little upgrade to allow me to match and pass the wife's 1070 sc acx she just got LOL
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 8:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply