FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Watching and learing about ready to order

Post Date: 2012-08-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mike CG58 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mike CG58 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Watching and learing about ready to order
    Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 5:07am

I have been watching the forums for sometime now trying to learn from all the posts. All of the great help provided as well as the responses from DS have made me sure that this is the right place to get my next system from. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Here is the configuration I have been looking at:

Ticket number – 719555

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (PhysX) (Classified Overclocked EVGA)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi Forte 7.1 (Model: AZT-FORTE) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Motherboards – what benefits does the Rampage IV have over the others, does it allow DS to be able to do a better overclock, more stable etc

Graphics Cards – does going with the over clock version create any problems – stability , heat etc

Fans – what fan is used for the additional top fan

Monitor – plan to get a Dell IPS 30” and a second one after 6 months or so; which video connection should be used - DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, Display-Port?

Cabling – A number of pics systems have all the wiring all colored (all blue, or green etc) is this standard or an option? If option any idea on what all the choices are and what a cost is?

Thanks in advance for your help

SpicierMire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SpicierMire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 5:36am
Hi there Mike, rig to begin with!

Let's go things over one by one:

The Motherboard - the Asus RIVE is bar none THE best performing X79 motherboard on the planet and comes equipped with a very robust cooling system. In addition, it has a solid sound solution that supports 192 KHz/24-bit with a SNR of 110 db, meaning a dedicated sound card won't improve your sound much (unless you're an audiophile, that is) and will even occupy one of the PCIe slots. Might help to think that over.

Graphics Cards - The Gtx 680 Classified cards are the cream of nvidia cards and come with an incredibly powerful blower fan. You will want to OC even further, let alone settle with the def frequencies

Monitor - The choice most definitely varies from person to person here; some people claim once you go 120+ Hz gaming you cannot go back, others defend the color quality of IPS monitors religiously, justifying the giveaway of high-refresh rates and lower latency (which also make 3D-Vision possible). For this, I suggest you test both cases --the IPS and the 120 HZ TN panels with 3D-- with thine owne eyes and decide which one to pick.

Make no mistake, you're in the right place, asking all the right questions
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 6:23am
Hi Mike CG58....     Yep, what SpicierMire said.  That is a quality build from top to bottom.

The top 200mm fan is the CoolerMaster MegaFlow200 Silent fan..non-led.  DS might be using a comparable fan, but that's what it used to be.

The colored cabling are cable sleeves.  You'd have to ask DS for colors and cost.

Don't forget the free t-shirt.

Best of Luck. Big%20SmileBig%20Smile

Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 10:07am

Hi Mike CG58,

Unless DS has changed things they require liquid cooling for a X79 CPU.  The Vortex 240 is a sealed unit so no maintenance. DS will mount this to the top of the case so it replaces the normal fan located there.

All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 10:37am
Mike...  Asangard is right, but things change all the time.  They said that about the 3820 chip but then it changed if I remember correctly.   If they allow you to keep the D14 cooler then we would appreciate some feedback so we can help others.

I'd rather have the D14 but DS has final say. 

Thanks.

Mike CG58 View Drop Down

Quote Mike CG58 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Mike...  Asangard is right, but things change all the time.  They said that about the 3820 chip but then it changed if I remember correctly.   If they allow you to keep the D14 cooler then we would appreciate some feedback so we can help others.

I'd rather have the D14 but DS has final say. 

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

SpicierMire - sounds like sticking with that motherboard will save the cost of a sound card - thanks.

Asangard/Bprat22 - I will check on the cooler and let you know.  If they do want liquid cooling then is the Vortex 240 the way to go?  Would this cooler replace both top fans or only one?

Thanks
Mike
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 2:27pm
The Vortex 240mm rad would be the one for that cpu and it would mount under the top, taking up the space of both fan locations.     It does work very good.   I just like the reliability of the D14.     Good luck and stay in touch.           Just something to consider.....   if you really want the D14 to stay away from the Vortex, the 4 core 3820 chip is all you need for gaming.   The 6 core 3930 k is more for Photoshop, Lightroom and other editing, rendering applications.    The 3930k is a great chip, so your call of course.    

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Aug 2012 at 2:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply