FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Watercooling and intercontinental travel...

Post Date: 2016-09-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
narmio View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote narmio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Watercooling and intercontinental travel...
    Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 6:11am
So, two months ago I was all set to order a new all-liquid Velox. Then I found out that in about 9 months I'll be relocating for work to somewhere 9,900 miles away. In about six months all my stuff will be going in a shipping container. That's a bit terrifying.

I'm now back and ready to order again, but I have some questions about open vs closed loops and arduous international travel.

* How risky is it to ship an open-loop watercooled system leaks-wise? Is going for Hydrolux Lite (which I believe is a closed loop system?) safer in this regard? I'm a watercooling novice and shipping it back for service is probably not going to be easy...

* Can I re-use the packaging the machine will come in? Is there some non-reusable component (expanding foam, etc) I need to buy? I hear DS packaging is great stuff, would they be willing to sell me an extra set of whatever they use in the box?

* Would it make sense to disassemble the machine (or at least remove the GPU) for the big move? How complicated is this in an open loop? In a closed loop?

* For reference, here's my current thinking, although this is far from finalised: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1478598

(Mods: Should this be in config discussion? Please move it if you think so.)

Edited by narmio - 12 Sep 2016 at 6:14am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 9:46am
With LC and shipping there is always a possibility, leak will happen due to shipping damage, and if there is shipping damage then no matter what you get will leak.

If you are a novice and don't want to mess with liquid cooling (lc) then IMHO don't get it. get air cooled.

hydrolux lite is not a closed system. corsair is closed system, but just remember between air and corsair there is barely a difference.

I got may pc with a crate and I kept it and all the packing that came with it, and it came in handy when I needed to send it back three times due to shipping issues/damage.

For a novice it may be a little much putting the gpu back in the loop and close the loop and add fluid but overall its not that hard. Tho not sure if it makes sense. Again if you are worried about it getting damaged then that will happen during shipping and as mentioned if shipping damage happens no matter what you do stuff will get damaged.

build looks good but why 64GB of ram?

narmio View Drop Down

Quote narmio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 12:02pm
Thanks for the advice. Is there somewhere I can go to read more about draining/disassembling hydrolux lite and pro loops? I'm not averse to learning how to do this stuff.

The 64GB RAM (and the Titan, for that matter) are because I'm a machine learning researcher by day. Sometimes you just want to load an entire dataset into memory, but have to write some complex batch-loading code because of RAM limits. More RAM than I need lets me be lazy and fast. :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 1:45pm
Ok just wanted to make sure you have use for it, some people pick 32/64GB of ram for gaming and I just have to let them know that is not needed, but you are good to go.

the pro is gonna be different than the lite as far as maintenance. Just keep in mind that lc is not needed in your case, but if you really want it, with lite there will be less to deal with with pro its more complicated. ask for a drain valve
 Post Reply Post Reply