FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weird sound from my case!

Post Date: 2016-09-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Weird sound from my case!
    Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 2:52pm
Hi everyone!

I bought a Bolt3 more or less a month ago!
I noticed that sometimes, when the PC is in ''Auto Mode'' selected from Control Center (so when I'm not playing), a strange sound come from my case, I don't know how to explain that: It's like a pitched up Jet that turns on its engines (best way to explain that, I'm sorry ).
The ''onomatopea'' it's like a pitched up ''UUUUUUE'' (read them letters like you'd read them in the alphabet), you can heard that for 1 sec and then it stops and the volume of the sound it's quite loud, not an aggressive sound but
easily listenable (I know it's difficult to understand, but record it is very hard becouse this sound starts without notice that it's coming and it's 1 sec long, impossible to record but I'll give a try again!)

Can someone help me with this?
I can't understand which component can do that sound, I was thinking about hydrocooling or GPU fan!

What do you think about??
Thanks in advance!

MY SPECS:
GPU - GeForce GTX 1080 (NVIDIA Founders Edition)
CPU - Intel Core i7 5930K @3.5GHz
RAM - 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Digital StormCertified Performance Series
OS - Win7 Professional
120GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO and 1TB HDD Western Digital - Black Edition

EDIT: Yeah, I searched ''Jet Engine Sound'' on YouTube
. It's quite similiar to this one without white noise in background,pitched up and with loud volume not aggressive: https://youtu.be/QNr7YLrQH3M?t=174 (of course it's not equal, but now you can have an idea. ) it's long 1 sec and then it stops!

Waiting for comments and Thanks in advance, again! :)

Edited by LowRoid99 - 15 Sep 2016 at 3:15pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 11:43pm
what kind of cooling do you have? is it coming from one of your fans?
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 4:00am
Hi DST4ME!

I don't remember the precise model of the cooling, I'm going to the Digital Storm site and I'll check the name of it (I can recognize it from its picture)
I'm sending to you two pic of both sides of my PC so you can check the situation :)

It's hard to recognize what it's doing this weird sound, It is quite short and I can't understand which component makes it :(

PICS: https://postimg.org/image/ckf29a6bv/ (left side) https://postimg.org/image/a4w82wpa3 (right side, don't look at the red square, it's not usefull :D )

PS: The case is not opened atm, I opened it a while ago for another problem I posted here, now it is closed (pics are from some weeks ago)

EDIT: I checked on DS site, on Bolt 3 configurator, and I'm quite sure the cooling is a Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator H20 CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)

Edited by LowRoid99 - 16 Sep 2016 at 4:03am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 5:50am
That noise could be any of the fans.   The 240mm rad has 2 fans.   If there's any consistency to the noise at all, I would unplug one of the rad fans at a time and see if the noise goes away.  The gpu also has a fan.  Process of elimination might take you there. 

You can use a program like EVGA Precision to set a fan profile to kick the fan on earlier at a higher rpm is help check it.

The power supply , I believe, also has a cooling fan internally.   Some psu's have the fan remain off until needed but not sure about the model # of your psu. 

If its only a 1 second sound, that could be real tough to find.  

The pump in the 240mm cooling unit, attached to the cpu, has been known to make a noise, but that's more unusual. 

Could be when a fan just kicks on it makes the noise.

Good luck. Big%20Smile

LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:05am
Hi bprat22!
Thanks for answer!

Oh ok so we are pretty sure it's a fan doing it, right? The question is: which one?

My GPU is not a EVGA model, Are you sure this probram will works with my Founders Edition?

I think I'm quite good with computers, but only software stuffs. I'm always a little bit scare when I have to touch components (so I'll be scare if I'll have to unplug that fan), I'd prefer to not do that

What do you mean with the sentence: ''The pump in the 240mm cooling unit, attached to the cpu, has been known to make a noise, but that's more unusual''? You mean that the 240mm cooling makes a noise but it's different from the sound I'm listening?

And, the important question: Do you think this can be something that can decrease the life of my PC or that can take to me other (most serious) problems? Or Do you think this is sound it's not a problem and I can go ahead without thinking about it?? :)

Edited by LowRoid99 - 16 Sep 2016 at 11:06am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:16am
EVGA Precision can be used for any manufacturer's card.  You can also use MSI Afterburner.  The same deal there.

The block mounted to the cpu, with the tubes coming from it to the rad is where the pump is housed.  Its a small, not very robust pump, but gets the job done.  Those have been known to make grinding type noises, but its not common.   Not sure it matches what you have.  Sometimes putting your finger on the pump when it makes the noise, f\if you hit it just right when the noise happens, you might feel the vibration.

As far as the life expectancy...  that type of noise isn't normal and usually points to a fan with a bad bearing.  The fan might eventually seize up if that's what it is.  

My guess is its safe to run, just keep an eye on it getting worse or a fan not working all of a sudden, or temps rise.  Use HWMonitor to occasionally check your cpu and video card temps.   Eyeball the fans on a regular basis.

If its the psu, power supply,  fan, you might get crashes or system restarts if the psu overheats, assuming the cooling fan in it goes bad.

I'm thinking a fan is the likely culprit and might eventually seize or just the noise will go away.    Impossible to tell. 

LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 2:57pm
Hi bprat22!
Thanks for the great explication of all these poits!

I downloaded EVGA Precision but I don't understand what I have to do precisely with it, can you help me with this?
Quite sure it's not a grinding type noise, It's what I tried to explain in my first post! It's like a fan that starts up and makes the kind of sound I explained for 1 sec, then it stops! (this is my interpretation of the sound, I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure is something like what I wrote)
I dind't see any other ''complications'' releated to this sound: Temperatures are normal and I don't heard this sound when the PC is in ''Extreme Mode'' selected from DS Control-Center (so not when I'm playing) but only when I put the PC in ''Auto Mode''. Temperatures are normal in both situation and that sound doesn't increase/decrease temperatures!

Today I was trying to record it, but I failed! It's quite impossible :( However today I noticed it 1-2 times if I'm not wrong, Some days it happens 3-4 times, some days never and some days 1-2 times, so I'm understanding that this weird sound is randomic!

What you suggest now?

Thanks for helping!

EDIT: I unistalled EVGA Precision and I installed MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision asked me a lot of not usefull things like name, last name and a Serial Code of something that I don't understand I downloaded MSI Afterburner and it starts up so, please, tell me what I have to do precisely with that! :)

Edited by LowRoid99 - 16 Sep 2016 at 3:05pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 7:18pm
set the fan to max for your gpu and see if the noise is becomes louder or changes in any way.

If not we are going to assume its not the gpu fans and start to disable the fans one by one.

are those your full specs of your system in your first post? aka did you leave out any hdd or anything?
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:45am
Hi DST4ME!

I don't want to do a mess so here's a screeshot of MSI Afterburner: https://postimg.org/image/a4qpg4xml/
Can you tell me EXACTLY what I have to do, please??

Specs I wrote in first post are full specs, I noticed now I just forgot the motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac (Intel X99 Chipset) (Mini-ITX). I don't have any other HDD/SSD exept that two I mentioned in the specs! :)

Keep me informed and Thanks for helping!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say an important thing. I noticed that this sound starts (not only in this case but the 80% of times is for what I'm going to say now) when I leave the PC powered on without using it for a while. After I move the mouse and I open a thing (it can be a folder or a program) the sound starts.
I tried and tried many times to record it but I failed again! :(

Edited by LowRoid99 - 17 Sep 2016 at 5:53am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 10:39am
Are your case fans stock or did you order extra fans?

if your case fans are stock then I'm thinking its the fan or pump on cpu cooler.

for afterburner:

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 10:40am
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 12:23pm
Hi DST4ME!
Thanks for that ''poit per poit'' explication! :D

Ok So I did it, I put the speed to 85, I clicked ''Apply'' and I heard a normal ''air-noise'' like all fans do when them are going fast! No weird sounds! But it's the second time that when I double click on MSI Afterburner I heard the famous weird sound! I'm so confused!

I recorded two videos, in this one you can heard GTX 1080 fan set to ''auto'' speed: http://sendvid.com/56nd2p54
And in this one you can heard the fan when I set the speed to 85: http://sendvid.com/cgort4b8
I recorded these videos really really close to the window side.

What do you think about this?? :)

Edited by LowRoid99 - 17 Sep 2016 at 12:23pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 12:36pm
That site senddvid.com is not a nice site, nasty popups.

ok so as far as I can tell the sound is not coming from your gpu fans you agree right?

if so then I'm thinking its your cpu cooler, Vortex aka asetek is probably having a bad fan or pump.

I think asrock has a utility that allows you to control fans or maybe speedfan or just go to bios and set the fan speed higher and the pump if you can, do them one by one and see which one sounds like the noise we are looking for.

LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:38am
Hi DST4ME!
Yeah, sorry for that site :( I was having problems with youtube and that one was the only site I found! Sorry again! :(

Which is this utility for Vortex fans? I have bad experience with BIOS, I broke a lot of PCs in past so maybe an utility is better

So are you sure it's definitely not GPU fault??
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 9:27am
Nobody can be sure.  If you upped the rpm with Msi afterburner, and no noise, probably not the card.  Unless the noise is coil whine, but that's a distinct whining sound.

Have you unplugged each fan separately and ran it for a while to isolate the noise? 

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:30am
@LowRoid99 as bp mentioned its probably not your gpu fan, so we are left with case fans and vortex fan/pump.

Since you are not comfortable call DS and have them walk you through the bios to check fan/pump on vortex.

If your case fans are connected to the psu then its probably not them, since they spin at the same speed all the time, but it does not hurt to check like bp said.
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 2:21pm
Hi guys! Thanks for explication!
Ok so it's prefered if I call DS to check this, and I agree!

Today I monitored my PC more then other days and, after I did what I did with MSI Afterburner I'm not hearning that sound from a day (I did my test more or less 24h ago) Do you think this things can be releated or Do you think it's just a case?? I'd love to record and share the sound with you, today I tried to record it 10 times but I did't exerienced it!

Tell me what do you think about this, and tell me if I can take the PC to a local shop that do these kind of things becouse I don't live in America, It's difficult to receive a support from DS exept for an ''Online Support'' :(

Edited by LowRoid99 - 18 Sep 2016 at 2:22pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 5:08pm
They can email you the steps its not that difficult, local shop can do it but its not needed its not that difficult.
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 3:35am
Hi DST4ME!
Ok then, can you give me DS support email please?

However what do you think about what I said in the other post? ''Today I monitored my PC more then other days and, after I did what I did with MSI Afterburner I'm not hearning that sound from a day (I did my test more or less 24h ago) Do you think this things can be releated or Do you think it's just a case??'' and also, I didn't noticed it today too (so others 4-5h)

Tell me, please, what do you think about this and give me, please, a DS support email and I wont bother you anymore! :D

Cheers!

Edited by LowRoid99 - 19 Sep 2016 at 3:35am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:55am
You are not bothering anybody.

if you go here and fill this out and check email for support you should get an email back.

if you don't hear from them soon contact Alex directly or contact him now.,

[email protected]

he will get you in touch with the right person.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Sep 2016 at 8:56am
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:40am
Hi DST4ME!
Perfect! I'll do one of these things in the next days!
However you didn't give me you opinion on what I said. I'm not hearning that sound form two days (from after I did what I did with MSI Afterburner to now), I used to hear that sound 2-3 times per day, after MSI Afterburner I'm not experiencing it from 48h! Can you tell me, please, if do you think this can be just a case or if speeding up the fan caused something positive to it, So maybe that weird sound was GPU fan fault but now we fixed it with Afterburner? I don't know, maybe I'm saying a stupid thing ahah :D But please, tell me what do you thing about! :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:57am
Sorry I missed that

Ok so the sound not happening its too soon, lets wait and week and if you still have not heard it, then honestly I don't know what to tell with the exception of you are lucky.

Since we never were able to pinpoint the source I don't like to speculate and say well maybe it was something stuck around fan and got loose, or perhaps something changed in the fan in the process of us speeding it up, or maybe it was the bearing or a coil whine, So I'm not gonna say those things, to be honest I still don't think it was your gpu fan at all.

lot of times with these types of stuff either the noise gets louder or goes away, sometimes they go away and comeback and get louder.

Don't call DS for support till the noise is back otherwise it will be impossible for them to trouble shoot a trouble that does not exist right now I'm sure you have better things to do with your time

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Sep 2016 at 10:58am
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 2:24pm
Hi DST4ME, thanks for the explication!

Take what I said about the noise and cancel that.. I heard it right now!
Like always, I hear it after I leave the computer turned on for some hours and I left home. When I come back I move the mouse and the screen turns on (becouse the screen only go always in Sleep mode after 15 mins of inactivity) and after I open a folder or a program I can hear the weird sound!
Maybe I'm going to say another stupid thing but I'm thinkig about another theory: I hear the sound, after the situation I explained, only when I open a program or a folder.. Can the sound starts from the HDD?? I'm not that genius with componets but I know that HDDs have a kind of little disc on it, maybe when I open or start a program located in the HDD the ''mini-disk'' makes that sound?? Don't kill me if I said a BIG stupid thing, I was trying to be helpful ahahah

Tell me what do you think about, and thanks for help!

Edited by LowRoid99 - 19 Sep 2016 at 2:26pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 2:37pm
Hard drives can and do make noises as they start to fail.    If you simulate it again, after leaving it idle and then opening a folder, touch the HDD case and see if you can feel any vibration.    It does make sense.

I have heard of whining and grinding noises, some subtle and others more pronounced.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 3:13pm
I missed that you have an hdd, didn't get pass samsung.

So as bp said hdd can make that noise but I doubt what it is tho I could be wrong.

the wd black edition is great hdd, but anything can go bad.

the folder and stuff you say you are opening when you hear the noise, are they on the hdd? If not then its not the hdd, since your os and everything is on the ssd.

we need to have a way to make it happen each time we want so we can locate what it is, but we can't do that right now. And since it didn't happen for 2 or 3 days, anything we tell you to remove or isolate will have to be like that for at least 2 to 3 days.

can you test and see if you can get it to make that noise every time you wake the pc up and open a folder? open a folder on the desktop as soon as you wake it and see if you can duplicate it.

in the meantime try changing the fan/pump speeds of the cooler and see if that makes a difference.

You can try and put your pc under heavy cpu load for a good while and see if we can raise the temp of the cpu a bit, and by doing so making the cooler's fan run faster and see if you can hear the sound during that time, if so then we know is the cooler, either fan or pump.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Sep 2016 at 3:15pm
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 4:02am
Hello guys, thanks for explication!
Softwares and stuffs I open when I get the weird sound are on HDD, but I don't get it every single time! I get it after the situation I explained in past posts and even if I go to open a folder or a program after some hours of inactivity I don't experience the sound everytime, It's A LOT randomic!
Just right now I turned on my PC and I recognized that the weird sound I hear it's the same sound I can hear when I turn on my PC, So now I'm going to turn off my PC, turn on it again so I can record that sound becouse it's the same!

DST4ME, you said: ''You can try and put your pc under heavy cpu load for a good while and see if we can raise the temp of the cpu a bit, and by doing so making the cooler's fan run faster and see if you can hear the sound during that time, if so then we know is the cooler, either fan or pump.'' I don't understand this part very well, What I have to do? Can you explain it more clearly, please?

EDIT: Ok, guys, finnaly you can hear that sound too: http://sendvid.com/cwivntrs
The sound is that one that seams a ''turbine'' sound. The first one is me pushing the power button and the other is the fluid of the cooling so don't think about them, just about the ''turbine'' sound becouse is the only one I hear in the situation I explained (Sorry again for sendvid.com :( Don't kill me for the pop-ups)

With the sound Can you now understand in a better way the situation, I think! :)

Edited by LowRoid99 - 20 Sep 2016 at 4:17am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:15am
I can't hear it on this one but I did hear it in your earlier posts.

Ok so now we have a way of producing it which means now we can perhaps find out what it is by process of elimination.

So if you think its the hdd, turn pc off, disconnect the psu from the wall socket. disconnect both power and data cable from your hdd. reconnect the psu to the electrical socket, turn pc back on and see if you hear the noise. if not then its the hdd, if yes then its not the hdd, move on to disabling other fans and etc one by one as you did hdd and do the same test and see if you hear the noise.

LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 5:18am
Hi DST4ME!
Apologize me for the late on the answer!

So, did you hear the sound? Before trying to disconnect every component that can make that noise one by one, I want kindly ask you If you can understand which component can do that sound, by hearing that from my last vid!
Then, like I already said in past posts, I'm not that excited to open my PC and disconnect components So if we can detect which can be the most probable component that makes that sound, I can disconnect only that one!

So tell me, please, If the sound you can hear on this video http://sendvid.com/cwivntrs from 0:02 from 0:03 sounds familiar to you and if you recognize which component can do that!

Keep me posted! :)

Edited by LowRoid99 - 22 Sep 2016 at 5:18am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:26am
I can't tell the sound LowRoid99 and that site is full of nasty of stuff boss. Also your noise is not one that somebody can tell what it is.

I think at this point its best if you ask DS via email to help you, If you are not comfortable working on your pc, then its gonna be difficult,, I'm not familiar with the vortex and how they set it up or how they set yours up.

It gets a little complicated here and its best that you have somebody that can walk you through so its best if you called DS.

Or just let the noise go and if it gets worst then you will know what it is.

To test the pump and fan with your cooler is a little complicated for somebody who is not comfortable with working on their pc and I am not aware how your pc is setup to help you, so I think it best you either let it go and see what happens or be on the phone with somebody to whom you can explain what you have and then they can walk you through on the phone step by step.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Sep 2016 at 11:29am
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:06am
Hi DST4ME! thanks for your great explication!
Yeah, I think I'll do that: I'll wait and if this sound will give me some errors, I'll prepare me to solve the problem. From now, no problems releated to this sound (luckly )

I'll keep you posted about what will appen with this, I'll keep monitor the sound and I'll see what to do in future!

Thanks to everyone for help, I appreciated it!
Cheers!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 4:03pm
My pleasure

Please keep us informed
 Post Reply Post Reply