FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what do i need?

Post Date: 2012-06-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mrrichway View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: what do i need?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:53pm
hey guys i was wondering if you could help a noob out. i was going to call ds directly to ask but i figured id throw it out here first:

i want a gaming rig. GAMING only, i won't be using this for anything else. i will NOT ever be gaming on more than one monitor, however, my one monitor is 2560x1440 and i want to be able to play bf3 and all crysis' and whatever super demanding games come out for a long while with everything maxxed out at 90+fps. i wanted to spend between 4-5k, but if this won't do for what i want, I'm willing to go a little higher.

id rather spend the money up front, and not have to mess with it for a while. i know future-proofing a computer is impossible as its obselete the day i receive it, but like i said before, i want to be able to play every game maxed out at super high frame rates for years to come. i was looking at the hailstorm.

what chipset? which and how many gtx's would you recommend? i realize that for what i want, ill need to go overboard a bit, but doesn't matter to me how its cooled. the less hassle and more efficient, the better. I'm for either one (air or liquid).

i want it to be blazing fast also. i have the patience of a 2 year old. what do i need?
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 3:02pm
i forgot to thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:09pm
Hi mrrichway.... Welcome to the forms.     I'm not at my pc right now so am a bit restricted.    Check out Config # 697135    Cost $ 4115       For the gaming monitor you stated and high 90 fps the tri-sli gtx 680 would be needed.     I meant to put in stage 1 overclocking for the 3820 chip.    For a higher oc you'd need to go to the 3930k chip.      See what you think and others might help.   
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:17pm
thanks for the reply. now do i want the 4gb 680's? or stick with 2gb.
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:25pm
do i need to stick with the cooler master? will i gain gaming performance if i upgrade to 3930? also would i benefit from upgrading the mobo to the asus extreme 4?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:45pm
Good catch on the vram.   Yep, the 4GB card will help with the higher resolution.   The 240mm Vortex is the minimum DS will want for the cpu cooler.   You could go to the satge 4 cooler which gives you individual pump and reservoir replacement options.     But the Vortex 240 is a sealed unit.., so your call.     The Extreme mobo would be if you wanted the option to add another video card or add a sound card to your tri-sli build.   The Extreme mobo has more PciE x16 lanes and more usable Pcie x1 slots add cards to.   Upgrading to the 3930 would be for higher oc option. Otherwise, the 4 core 3820 cpu is all gaming needs.     

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Jun 2012 at 4:47pm
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 5:47pm
based on what your config i just added to it and came up with 697185. i just like the hailstorm case so much more than the all grille look of the cooler master. as long as this case will also efficiently keep everything cool, I'm on board.
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 5:49pm
im assuming that the stage 4 liquid cooling is maintenance free too. i really don't want to have to be taking anything apart because i have very little understanding of all this.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:34pm
The stage 4 cooling is not maintenance free.    For that go back to the stage 2 Vortex 240mm rad.     The Hailstorm is a great case but is designed for a full water cooled system.     If you compare the fans in that to the HafX you'll see what I mean.   But, the Hailstorm will work especially with the 240 mm rad being mounted to the top with its two fans as long as they blow out which I think DS will do.      When DS stresses the system to check thermals , they will add fans if needed.   They might not have to with the gtx680s blowing most of their heat out the back.    . Just that more smaller fans mean more noise.   Any case will work.   Just that some are much better. Also, ram speed of 1600mhz is all you need and is more stable with oc'ing.   No HDD for data, old games, music, downloads, etc?   Those SSD's will load up pretty quick.

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Jun 2012 at 6:40pm
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 7:20pm
how much of a pain would the stage 4 liquid cooling be? i have a second 120Gb ssd on there as well. the only thing that will be on here is windows and games. is that still not enuf? should i go with 120Gb sad for the hard drive one and stick with the 1tb western digital drive for hard drive 2?

Edited by mrrichway - 08 Jun 2012 at 7:25pm
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 7:24pm
i guess id the "stage x" cooling is unnecessary its moot point. if i don't need it, ill stick with fans and the 240 mm sys. i guess its just for looks because ill still have super noisy fans either way, huh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 3:45am
Here's a listing of the build we've been talking about for others reading this.  I don't think it's the final build, but in the ball park.

Config #  697185               Cost $  5761

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (White)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty

For just the OS and a couple of games, the 120GB SSD should do it and put the 1TB Western Digital Balck as the 2nd drive for lots of storage.  Just me.Big%20Smile

The Stage 4 liquid cooling isn't really much maintenance.  If all goes well, its just topping off the fluid evey year or two.  Like you said, the stage 4 for looks is nice, with the UV tubing, seperate reservoir, etc.  Either the stage 2 or 4 , the 240mm rad with fans will mount to the top.

I forgot to put in the free t-shirt.Oops

Lots of decisions.  Good Luck and keep us posted.Big%20SmileBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Jun 2012 at 3:46am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 8:47am
Hi mrrichway,

I know that bprat22 has this under control with great advise as always.

I just think you are making a big mistake on your case. The Hailstorm is built for LC cooling and you don't have LC cooling on your GPUs. The things that make the Hailstorm a good looking case also make it a poor choice for air cooling. Anyone who buys a case because it looks good over efficiency of operations is making a mistake. If you want the Hailstorm case then go with full LC. That is a super setup and worth the extra money as far as I am concerned.

If you keep the Hailstorm you have to mod the case and add a 120mm fan that blows air directly on the GPUs. Or, you can accept the looks of the HAF-X case and it comes with a 200mm fan already installed on the side to cool the GPUs. Plus, you can add an interior 120mm fan that also blows directly onto the GPUs.

It is true that the 680 dumps the majority of its heat out the back of the case but you have three of them and they are mounted very close together. In my opinion you need better cooling on the GPUs than you have right now.

Keep in mind that I don't own a Hailstorm case with three GPUs so my comments do not come from direct experience with that setup. At the very least you need to mod the case and add a GPU fan.

Frank
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 9:20am
I understand and appreciate ur concern, ive decided to go w at least stage 4 lc
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 9:35am
Do i absolutely need to lc all 3 gpus too? Or is it enough to go stage 4?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 10:21am
The reason Frank and I emphasis the 800D is primarily a full water cooled case is because it really is.  Only a single 140mm fan feeds air into the mobo/gpu compartment.  If you look in the configurator, under Chassis Mods, you'll see the Hailstorm and one other singled out for the option to drill and mount a side panel fan to help with the graphic cards.  The case does have minimal air flow.  Google 800D and lots of forums have questions about how to mod it for better airflow.
Those three gtx680's are gonna be looking for air inside the case to pull into the card and cool the heatsinks. 

I perfectly understand the aesthetics involved.  Not everyone wants the military look, as some call it, of the HafX.  Other cases like the 600T, 650D and 500R are better looking and have much better airflow.

I'm certainly not saying the Hailstorm's 800D will not work.  DS, when they mount the parts and stress it for days will determine if its ok or call you with the option to mount other fans.  DS will not let it leave in-house unless it all works.  I'm sure lots others have a 800D for air cooled systems.

Hope this helps and we just try to recommend the best parts for the job.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Jun 2012 at 10:34am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 10:27am
The case is built for stage 6 LC. The CPU is fine with the Vortex or stage 4 as far as cooling goes. The problem with the Hailstorm case is it only has one 140mm fan blowing upward that is intended to cool the GPUs and the CPUs. If you look at a picture of the case you will see the 140mm fan mounted at the bottom of the case is behind the power supply. The majority of the air is going direct to the top of the case and exited. If you are going to air cool the GPUs you need a side fan that blows directly on the GPUs. In my opinion the Hailstorm case is built for LC and using it for air cooling is a mistake. Go to your configuration and click on "More Info" under the case and look at the picture that DS shows. It is set up for full LC cooling. Look at the center bottom and that is the only fan providing air to the interior of the case where the CPU and GPUs reside. With LC on both the CPU and the GPU the fan makes no difference. It does make a difference if you are trying to cool three GPUs with air.

Frank

Edit:

Well it seems that bprat22 and I were typing at the same time with similar thoughts. Bprat22 is correct that we only provide information and it is up to you what you choose to do. If DS will build you a Hailstorm system with three GPUs that are air cooled then go for it. I am pretty sure they won't do it with out modding the case.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 09 Jun 2012 at 10:35am
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 1:36pm
maybe i was typing at the same time as both of you as well, i understand and appreciate ur info and will go full liquid cooling if i stay with the hailstorm case. i knew $4-5k was quickly going to go out the door...

Edited by mrrichway - 09 Jun 2012 at 1:36pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 2:14pm
It does take time, advice from many and research to get the build you really want.     You are definitely on your way to a dynamite rig, whichever way you go.     DS could also answer some of your questions.    They are great and stand by what they build.    Keep us updated and best of luck.
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:33pm
well guys, here is what i went with:     waiting anxiously! definitely getting a divorce

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Triple SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color: White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Scythe Kaze Master Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade) (KM01-BK)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:55pm
That is a real nice build.         You've got some awesome gaming heading your way.       You can blame the money spent, on me, to keep the marriage together.      Seriously, you did it right and best of luck and keep us updated.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 7:14am
Hi mrrichway,

Great build but you did miss your free T-Shirt. I also see that you got Win-7 Home version. You won't be able to add any more memory with the home version. You might want to get the Pro version for $32 more. If gaming is all you do you will be good with 16Gb of memory

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 13 Jun 2012 at 7:18am
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 2:09pm
yeah ill be gaming only. i know, ridiculous to spend this money on a gaming only device, but it is what it is. i do have an eligible version of win 7 home premium at the house. can you add memory to that? if not i guess i could upgrade to win 8 when it comes out if need be. but as long as 16gb isn't going to slow my gaming down in any way, I'm set
Ghost-Ryder View Drop Down

Quote Ghost-Ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:10pm
win 7 home premium (64 bit) can only handle 16 gb memory max.
You have 16 gb plus 12 gb video ram = 28 gb

You need win 7 pro or up

pro can handle 192 meg

Limit on X86    Limit on X64

Windows 7 Ultimate      4 GB    192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise    4 Gb    192 GB

Windows 7 Professiona   4 GB    192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium  4 GB    16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic    4 GB    8 GB

Windows 7 Starter       2 GB      N/A

mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:16pm
they add up like that? should i wait for ds to contact me? I'm assuming they'll catch that and contact me, right?
Ghost-Ryder View Drop Down

Quote Ghost-Ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:21pm
It’s a total made up of system RAM, graphics RAM, PCI memory range, ACPI and a few other bits and pieces
Yeah it all adds up.
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:26pm
i sent them an email. thanks for catching that mein.
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:27pm
hopefully they throw 'er in for free? riiiight
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:37pm
heres a good question for ya. if all this is true, why would windows 7 home even be an option available with the hailstorm? even with no gnu, ur up to 16gb?
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:38pm
no gpu i meant
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 6:37pm
I have no idea, for that particular model, because you cannot downgrade thee RAM below 16GB, and the X79 chipset requires a graphics card, because there is no integrated graphics on the Sandy Bridge E cards. Essentially, you are taking a performance hit, but it only occurs if you use up a large amount of the RAM and graphics performance. In your case, it only requires 4GB of RAM to be consumed before graphics performance could suffer.

However, if you only went with a 1GB card or a single 2GB card, you would need to use 15 or 14 GB of RAM before graphics performance suffers. Many people only get single or dual 2GB cards. These people will never notice, and they can save $32. It may make sense for them. However, for people with crazy graphics card setups or crazy amounts of RAM, it makes no sense at all, and they need to spend the extra money.

Other people are probably just waiting for Windows 8, so they can "upgrade," at which point they will get professional or ultimate.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 6:50pm
ok so if you were in my shoes, do u actively call and have them upgrade it? am i going to have issues if they ship it with win 7 home premium? I'm sure you already saw but its 16gb memory and 3 gpus. thanks for ur input. much appreciated
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 3:24am
also are you saying i should have went with more memory? or just upgraded windows to pro
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 4:16am
Here's my thoughts for whatever its worth....Wait for DS to tell you for sure.  I have read both sides of this, where vram doesn't add to the Win7 physical limit and others that say it does, with both sides giving a good explanation to back their side.. 

In your case, a gaming rig with no ram intense apps like rendering, video editing etc, you'll never even use 8GB for gaming, so the added 4GB of vram isn't an issue.  Vram doesn't stack, so 3 cards with 4GB each is still 4GB vram.  

If you're a bit nervous and can't get a definitive answer, then just for $32 add the Win Pro and all is covered.   For a 16GB system, Win 7 Pro is smart move anyways, just in case you venture into things and want to add more ram..

Good Luck.Big%20Smile
mrrichway View Drop Down

Quote mrrichway Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 4:32am
thanks man. and thanks for the prompt reply.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>