Post Date: 2016-09-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: What happened to Noctua?
    Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 12:52pm
Alex what happened to noctua? Its not in the configuration anymore. Please don't tell me the shipping companies are now deciding for us what we can get.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 12:52pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 3:10pm
We stopped selling it due to the high rate of damage during shipping. It's simply not worth taking the risk for our customers upon new delivery.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 3:20pm
Its a sad day when a company punishes customers due to crappy shipping service.

If the shipping is the problem use a different shipping company.

When it comes to bad shipping we keep telling you guys to complain to ups and instead you say Nah we rather eat the cost ourselves. Looks like now the customer is eating the cost via not having the options.

Sad day Alex, I'm not sure why as a customer I can't get the part I want because you guys dont' want to hold your shipping company responsible for bad shipping, instead you want to make it sound like you are doing me a favor by not offering me a part that is top of the line but the problem is that your shipping company can't do their job right and get it to me.

This makes as much sense to me as my lambo dealer telling me they can't sell me a lambo due to their shipping company not being reliable

I guess now I should call up UPS first and ask them which of your parts they think they can deliver without damage so I can order those parts.

Now if you are in the market for air cooled pc DS is not the place for you. Since there is no decent air cooler offered.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 3:31pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Alex

We stopped selling it due to the high rate of damage during shipping. It's simply not worth taking the risk for our customers upon new delivery.

Hi Alex,

I think that not offering the Noctua is a good move. I stopped recommending it sometime ago due to the potential for damage and its size. Digital Storm offers other cooling options that does as good or better than the Noctua.

Frank
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi Alex,

I think that not offering the Noctua is a good move. I stopped recommending it sometime ago due to the potential for damage and its size. Digital Storm offers other cooling options that does as good or better than the Noctua.

Frank

I'm sorry FW but I will have to disgree, limiting your customers options is never a good idea.

You are making a mistake of thinking all customers are like you and are fine with lc/aio and most are not.

From a business point of view its a bad idea since now customers that are not interested in LC will no longer shop here.

Also please stop blaming a great cooler Noctua because of shipping, I just bought a notcua from the store explain to me what the problem is with it.

The potential problem is the shipping company.

I just don't understand how this makes sense, based on this type of thinking (aka does not do good in shipping) both amazon and newegg should close up shop or just offer a few products that will survive shipping. But they don't, because its foolish to limit your customer because of your shipping, instead amazon will make the shipping company pay for the mistake, here DS does not even complain to UPS.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 4:39pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:02pm
I'm not surprised. I actually expected them to drop Noctua and maybe all air coolers some time ago.     Most of the reputable builders I consider DS competition dropped them long time ago.

Plan B.... if someone wants Noctua, order it from Amazon and install it if one is comfortable doing it.

Before anyone jumps on me , I'm not condoning it just stating real world.

And the band marches on.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:24pm
Unfortunately Plan B is go somewhere else.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:29pm
You weren't active when Haf X was dropped.   Now that was traumatizing.       Still one of the best cases.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:42pm
Are you trying to ruin the weekend for me? I still not over the loss of haf and now this

but at least the velox can give us haf like airflow tho.

I just don't understand how it makes sense to not complain to ups and instead tell me that I can't get the noctua anymore because ups can't do its job right, and nobody is ever gonna tell ups that they are doing a crap job.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 5:53pm
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 6:11pm
Does UPS not carry insurance to replace things they break during shipping?

All the shipping damage complaints with Noctua is why I went liquid. Not that I won't have damage anyway but it did scare me off.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 6:24pm
Alex says they don't even mention it to ups and eat the cost.

If there is going to be damage due to shipping then its not just gonna damage noctua, shipping damage will damage whatever it can in the pc. sure noctua is heavier so it will give to damage sooner, but its shipping damage its gonna damage whatever you got, its not after your noctua.

Also now I have to open myself up to leaks and pump failures.

Ask yourself this:

Great I skipped noctua due to fear of having to reseat the noctua because of shipping damage, but a year later my corsair aio leaked and damaged my mobo. Now what, its past the 1 year part warranty, so I'm stuck paying for and changing my corsair cooler and my mobo. Well that was a smart choice on my part. Now sure that is not gonna happen every time but that is not the point, the point is that someone that does not want to deal with that at all had an option of going with noctua, getting the same performance and none of the worry of leak and pump failure or other parts getting damaged due to leak, but now these customers can't do that anymore and have to go elsewhere.

And why? not because of noctua, not because something is wrong with noctua, No, because of ups's crappy job of shipping, job so crappy that we are never even gonna tell UPS about it, no sir instead of complaining to ups about bad shipping we are go take away our customer's option of air cooling and not offer them the noctua. That will fix the bad shipping problem from ups.

or even better.

I sell ice cream, you want ice cream, great we are in business, the only problem now is that I can't sell Ice cream because the delivery company I use, does not deliver my ice cream fast enough, so when it gets to you it has melted, therefore I can no longer sell ice cream. I will not change delivery companies and use one that will get it to you on time nor will I complain to my delivery company about slow delivery service either, no sir, the right thing to do here is to stop selling ice cream in order to help my customers.

I said my peace, I guess I wish they would bring it back but somehow I doubt it.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 7:54pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 9:12pm
I am a person who prefers air-cooling. Always have, always will. Noctua just so happens to make the best air-cooler I have ever owned (not saying it's the best ever, but it's the best I've had). As such, if I have a machine that can fit an air-cooler (e.g. not Mrs. Bojingles Big%20Smile ) then I'd prefer to have it air cooled with a Noctua. For what it's worth Mr. Bojangles arrived with his HAF-X self and Noctua cooler unscathed, but I realize it's a common problem.

I think I'd probably go bprat's route and buy the most chinsy air cooler DS offers then install my own Noctua - but many might not and I can see DST4ME's point.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 3:00am
I was debating whether to go lc , AIO or Lite, next build, just to try it but always came back to Noctua.   I have a 5+ year old A70, small step down from Noctua, and it just works, no pumps, liquid, firmware updates, nothing .     

The Lite , at least from the forums, seems to be more prone to leaks because of the larger reservoir and doesn't really interest me.   Decades of field service says, KISS.

The H series is doable, IMHO. Probably my next route. If it survives shipping, and most do, the chance of a leak is very small.   

Too bad an option wasn't offered to ship the Noctua unmounted, it being so easy to install, but that's from my perspective. Most wouldn't feel comfortable doing it and would prefer a delivery that is plug it in and play.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 3:04am
There is very little DS can do regarding shipping companies' damage to their products. They can complain and claim all they want and like all one sided agreements, you don't like it , you can change. In the case of shipping there is so much that can be done before the cost becomes unrealistic. DS could drive their product themselves so that here would be 99.9% damage free shipments and the cost for one of their systems would be.....$$$...   It is much easier (cheaper) to make changes to the product that is having problems with shipping. If Lambos had a wing and that wing always ends broken at arrival to destination, you can bet the wing will be a dealer installed option real quick. Using the same analogy, you want Noctua, order the cheapest air cooler and change it when you get the system. Newegg and Amazon carry it and they don't have to worry about shipping because the cooler when shipped is not attached to a pc.
So, life is full of changes and the older we get the harder it becomes to adjust. Personally, I would prefer air cooling (have had my share of leaks), but the latest of the greatest (Titan Pascal) seems to work better with lc than air, so maybe air is on the way out for cutting edge gaming systems. We better adjust or .......
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 3:25am
From a shipping standpoint, this makes perfect sense.

Claims to shipping company, for damage, can drag on for 6 months or better.. and the claim is for the original shipment. In the meantime, the shipper is eating the cost for return shipping both ways, cost for extra and unnecessary customer service hours, the cost of damaging their reputation on social media with people who continue to blame DS for shipping mishaps, etc etc.

Way too much cost involved.

And, yes, while Alex & company can boast of a 2% failure rate (of machines arriving in working order), that 2% is going to add up over time to quite the sizeable amount.

Since you can't change the inherent dangers and pitfalls of shipping (doesn't matter which company, they are all the same, trust me), it would make more sense to do what you CAN do to mitigate the problem.

What did Einstein allegedly say about the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result... Same with this situation...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:00am
    That's also the definition of stupidity.         
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 6:47am
Anybody know what kind of LC I would have had on my rig from 7 years ago. I don't remember having an option of different kinds back then. Had a resevoir up top that I had to top off every 6 month or so with 30 cc of distilled water. Never had an issue

Edited by Doc - 18 Sep 2016 at 6:49am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 9:51am
Liquid filled Frostbite ?    Here's a link to way back when DST gave you a build.   Can't say exactly what it was composed of.

http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/getting-closer-tidf3983-pidf39724/

Big%20Smile
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
We're not going to sell a product that ruins the customer experience. The Noctua is too large and heavy, and there are better options we sell, such as the Corsair all-in-one liquid coolers. The Noctua also blocks access to memory sticks which makes it difficult for customers to service their system.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:35am
edited

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Sep 2016 at 11:50am
EdgeCrusher View Drop Down

Quote EdgeCrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:48am
Here goes DST4ME with his swarmy (I know better then you) smug BS.

You have wrote this same tired argument in so many different threads its ridiculous. Alex or anybody else isn't going to respond to you for the millionth time about the problems with a large air cooler.

Its bulky and heavy and doesn't ship well it also blocks access to the memory. Simple as that. STFU with this bad ram being sold argument its convoluted. People want access to their ram whether its working fine now or not. I may want to upgrade later without removing my cpu cooler and re-pasting it back down.

I'm not sure where the AIO has bad touched you in the past but I'm not sure why you are so hard on getting people to think that their AIO is going to spring a leak and ruin their system at any moment. The things are plenty reliable and the chances of that happening are smaller then the chances that your motherboard comes cracked because the Noctua cooler has got banged around.

So really what it comes down to is preference no matter how delusional you are into thinking everything you prefer is fact. Neither solution is inherently better for all situations. As far as DS discontinuing them, I can understand a bit of disappointment but I think Alex's point is a valid one. The option is not worth it if it means extra risk shipping it.

Edited by EdgeCrusher - 18 Sep 2016 at 11:48am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:49am
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher

People commenting about Noctua coolers are putting them on themselves not shipping them installed, big difference. Your stupid charts are out of context as usual.

Thank you for admitting the problem is with shipping.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Sep 2016 at 11:56am
EdgeCrusher View Drop Down

Quote EdgeCrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:50am
People commenting about Noctua coolers are putting them on themselves not shipping them installed, big difference. Your stupid charts are out of context as usual.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:53am

We're not going to sell a product that ruins the customer experience. The Noctua is too large and heavy, and there are better options we sell, such as the Corsair all-in-one liquid coolers. The Noctua also blocks access to memory sticks which makes it difficult for customers to service their system.

Alex you really should try and not contradict yourself.

On one hand you say customers rarely have issues and then above you make is sound like customers have to service their ram often.

So pick one it can't be both.

1. Is it that the ram you sell is not great so it goes bad and people need to service/change the ram often?

2. Or is the ram fine and your are exaggerating since most people do not need to service their ram but maybe twice in the life of the system?

If its #1 then the problem is with bad ram being sold not noctua.

If its #2 then there is no problem with customers servicing their ram since it like twice in 6 years.

Also I'm sorry again I'm 2 + 2 = 4 kind of a guy so please explain to me how a cooler than can leak and ruin my system is better then an air cooler that gives me the same performance without the possibility of ruining my system, And it last much longer then an aio.

Lets have a look at how much customers of nocuta hate it shall we:

looks to me like customers love noctua Alex, so the problem is not with noctua.

out of those few negative reviews none of them complained about having trouble servicing ram.

Lets get real now, the reason DS no longer offers noctua is because they have to eat the price of shipping damage and since they love ups and do not want to complain to them they can no longer sell noctua because ups can't do their job right.

Yes noctua does cover the ram but ram rarely needs to be touched unless its faulty ram, in which case again its not noctua's fault it the ram's fault for being faulty.

BTW if you like I can start posting customers who have had leaks and pump failure with the aio, and also post people who needed to service their ram, and I bet you whatever config avantum I like, that the number of people with problems with aio is lots more then people that have to service their ram on the forums here.

Care to take the bet?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 12:37pm
A large portion of our builds are with the Vortex or Corsair liquid coolers, they are a great solution. This is also why a lot of other companies use them as a default -- just like us.

Such liquid coolers have been around for so many generation refreshes now that the manufacturers have perfected the pumps and assembly of these products. We hardly see any issue with them, which is why we recommend them.

The customer's unboxing experience is very important to us, and this means we must make sure we offer options that will provide our customers with a good overall solution.

Any customers that would like to purchase a system with a Noctua are more than welcome to, however we will have to special order them, and those customers must agree that there is a risk of shipping damage due to the size and weight of the cooler.

Any customers that wish to discuss options are more than welcome to contact me via email "[email protected]".
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 12:58pm
So basically you admit the problem is with shipping (unboxing) and yet you still wont' let the shipping company know that are pcs are being delivered damaged.

And your answer to the bad experience due to bad shipping due to the shipping company being negligible, is to blame a perfectly fine product and take away customer options.

The customer's unboxing experience is very important to us, and this means we must make sure we offer options that will provide our customers with a good overall solution.

great so why don't you complain to the shipper that your customer experience is being ruined due to crappy shipping? or better shipping options.

how many people here have to complain about shipping damage before DS decides to say something to the shipping company?

1 customer with bad experience due to shipping is enough to complain but you guys don't and you keep saying shipping damage is not that much, well 1 is more then enough if you care about us customers.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Sep 2016 at 1:00pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:23pm
We don't make such decisions based on small cases, we look at a large scale of data, and simply put, the Noctua has too high of a damage risk upon arrival to the customer, we don't want our customers to deal with those risks.

We pack every PC to be able to withstand a reasonable amount of shipping mishandling. A system with a Noctua can easily arrive with a bent cooler by a small drop which UPS or FedEx consider normal.

We have direct relationships with our shipping vendors, and if there are any issues with shipping, those are usually addressed quite quickly and properly. Something such as this situation, with a Noctua cooler, is not at the fault of UPS or FedEx, it's the cooler itself that is too prone damage from small shipping shocks and vibrations.

I have tried my best to clarify this as much as possible. Moving forward, any customers that would like to still obtain a Noctua knowing the risks can special request it with their build.

Any new customers that would like help with this or have any other questions, feel free to contact me directly via email "[email protected]".

Edited by Alex - 18 Sep 2016 at 4:23pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:32pm
Alternatively you could add a:

"Hand Delivery by Alex" option for $10,000. Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:37pm
   If on the East Coast, I will deliver for $ 5K. What a deal.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:50pm

Something such as this situation, with a Noctua cooler, is not at the fault of UPS or FedEx, it's the cooler itself that is too prone damage from small shipping shocks and vibrations.

So there is the problem, you guys are ok with the shipping company putting our pc through what you like to call a small shock, just explain to me how a small drop can cause a system with no noctua knock gpu loose or ram loose or the block for the aio loose? Those of use that don't have noctua would hardly call what happened to our systems a small shock.

According to you the shipping damage is noctua's fault???

I'm sorry Alex I'm not sure what you are talking about, if there is damage during shipping then its the shipping companies fault.

Does anybody here oder stuff from amazon and when they get it and its messed up they blame the product and not the shipping or packing?

There are plenty of people here with shipping damage that don't even have noctua and I'm one of them. I personally am not at all happy to hear DS put shipping damaged caused by the shipping company on any product.

I'm sorry but if I order a product from you and it arrives damaged the problem is either with packing or shipping or both, its not rocket science anybody can add that up:

shipping damage = bad shipping practices + and/or bad packing.

We have always had DS's back when there is been shipping damage we blamed the shipping companies regardless of what it had inside. Now it sounds like you want to remove the blame from shipping company and put it on the product inside.

again:

shipping damage = bad shipping practices + and/or bad packing.

I'm am in the delivery business for longer then DS has been in business (over 20 years) so I know what is what in shipping.

You don't want to carry noctua because of the deal you have with ups and fedex that is fine and your business just don't insult us by telling us that a shipping issue has anything to do with anything other then bad shipping practices. I consider that an insult to my intelligence. What next I blame the china plates that broke during shipping the china sets's fault?

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Sep 2016 at 4:57pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Alternatively you could add a:"Hand Delivery by Alex" option for $10,000. Big%20Smile

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I'm tempted to order a PC to Killiniq, Newfoundland since you didn't restrict "East Coast" to the US LOL

Edited by Tidgxor - 18 Sep 2016 at 7:40pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:24pm
Heck, I'm 30 minutes from DS... I'll deliver anything to anyone for $10k... within the 50 States. Drive right over, pick it up and be at your door within a week, guaranteed.

Never not a good day for a road trip..
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Originally posted by bprat22

I'm tempted to order a PC to Killiniq, Newfoundland since you didn't restrict "East Coast" to the US LOL

Hmmmm, might have to redefine East Coast.        Any electricity up there.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:02am
Delivery by Alex: $10,000
Delivery by Snaike: $9,999 [putting a price in his mouth Hahaha]
Delivery by bprat22: $5,000

Sounds like an ole' price war.

Looks like we'll have a Noctua after all. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>