FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what should I update next??

Post Date: 2015-06-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smarty_771 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote smarty_771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: what should I update next??
    Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:35pm
Budget:
$500

Expectations:
speed up performance of computer

Okay. So, I am new to computer gaming, computer customization, and understanding how they work. I took an interest in it, and got my First gaming computer here: A vanquish II level 3. I am very happy with it!! I love this computer. But, I wanna take the next step, and improve it in some way. What is the next logical step to take to improve its functionality and speed? I am interested in faster loading times, more FPS, and also my CPU gets really hot when I play games like the witcher 3. Is a SSD next? or a different graphics card? running another one along with the one already installed? I'm not sure what the next step is, and I'd love some input! here is my rig:
Processor: Intel Core i5 4590 3.30 GHz (Quad Core)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2H (Intel H81 Chipset) (MATX)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Corsair CX
Storage Set 1: 1x (1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)

Thanks in advance!!
ChromeMax View Drop Down

Quote ChromeMax Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:44pm
You could either sell the 960 and buy a 980 TI, or you could upgrade your power source and buy another 960. At this stage in your PC, it's mostly about the GPU and it's capabilities.

Quote smarty_771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by ChromeMax

You could either sell the 960 and buy a 980 TI, or you could upgrade your power source and buy another 960. At this stage in your PC, it's mostly about the GPU and it's capabilities.

Thanks! I've heard something about bottlenecking your CPU or something.. will that happen if I buy a better graphics card?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 2:27am
Hi smarty_771...... Your cpu is fine. Its not overclocked but will still keep up.

I agree with the gtx 970, 980 or 980ti.   I'd stay single 970 or 980 over sli 960.

You said the cpu is getting hot?   What's the temp?   Use HWMONITOR to check it.   Temps in the low 80's or below is good.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Jun 2015 at 2:29am
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 9:49am
Regarding your faster loading times need, and SSD would definitely improve that.  It would also improve speeds in Windows and non-gaming applications.

But it depends on which of your needs is most important since you won't be able to upgrade your GPU and SSD both based on your budget.  An SSD could also wait as prices on those continue to drop.

Quote smarty_771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi smarty_771...... Your cpu is fine. Its not overclocked but will still keep up.

I agree with the gtx 970, 980 or 980ti.   I'd stay single 970 or 980 over sli 960.

You said the cpu is getting hot?   What's the temp?   Use HWMONITOR to check it.   Temps in the low 80's or below is good.

Hope this helps.

you sure? because playing the witcher, my CPU gets up to 100% capacity. will running a higher end graphics card not make a difference because of that? and I have a program called "RealTemp," and whenever I play the witcher for about 4 or 5 hours, it gets up to 60 degrees C according to that program. But I guess that isn't too bad! Thank you for your suggestions and feedback, I look forward to hearing back from you!

Quote smarty_771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

Regarding your faster loading times need, and SSD would definitely improve that.  It would also improve speeds in Windows and non-gaming applications.But it depends on which of your needs is most important since you won't be able to upgrade your GPU and SSD both based on your budget.  An SSD could also wait as prices on those continue to drop.

Thank you for that! I'll for sure keep that in mind!! Thank you so much for your feedback!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:26pm
The Witcher 3 is very demanding with any processor.   Your cpu is present generation so you're good to go.  You'd have to replace the mobo and a new cpu to get any more performance because your mobo doesn't  allow overclocking.   Not saying another cpu won't give a bit more performance but not enough to justify the added expense.

The video card upgrade won't know the difference. with the cpu and will add to what you have. 

Those temps are excellent. 

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Jun 2015 at 12:27pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:58pm
Even if a much stronger video card adds to some cpu bottleneck, for most, there's not much you can do short of spending lots of money for a new system. Upgrading a video card is usually the best, cheapest way to boost performance. If you do get some bottleneck, which in my opinion is overblown, its still very game dependant and not worth worrying about. Just me.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by smarty_771

Thank you for that! I'll for sure keep that in mind!! Thank you so much for your feedback!

You're welcome.  And like others are saying—especially as Witcher 3 is a punisher of GPUs—the GPU would probably be a better choice for the initial upgrade.  980Ti if you can swing it.  Best bang for buck, but probably clocking in a bit higher than $500, so let's hope there's some flexibility to your budget.

Quote smarty_771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Even if a much stronger video card adds to some cpu bottleneck, for most, there's not much you can do short of spending lots of money for a new system. Upgrading a video card is usually the best, cheapest way to boost performance. If you do get some bottleneck, which in my opinion is overblown, its still very game dependant and not worth worrying about. Just me.

You've been such a huge help. Thank you so much for explaining all this to me! I'm eager to learn, and you're really helping me out! I'll start my research. thanks!

Quote smarty_771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

Originally posted by smarty_771

You're welcome.  And like others are saying—especially as Witcher 3 is a punisher of GPUs—the GPU would probably be a better choice for the initial upgrade.  980Ti if you can swing it.  Best bang for buck, but probably clocking in a bit higher than $500, so let's hope there's some flexibility to your budget.

thank you for the explanation! It's a huge help. :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:05pm
Our pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply