FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which product line for me?

Post Date: 2018-02-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Redbird14 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Redbird14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Which product line for me?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 4:18pm
I'm looking to buy sometime this summer - maybe as late as this autumn - so there's no urgency to this. I saw a reference to DigitalStorm in another forum and thought I'd check it out. Ultimately I ended up configuring a 'Slade 2' desktop but there was 1 significant problem. I need as the primary (operating system/boot) drive a 500GB SSD (NOT M.2) and in the configuration dialogue, that's not available. I have a strong preference for the Samsung Pro line SSDs but would consider an SSD in the WDC Black line. Is there another desktop (mid-tower) product line of yours I should be looking at?

This will be a Win 10 Pro computer. I do a lot of video processing and the software I use primarily works best with Intel's i5 processors (not i7 or i9). I do a LOT of backing up and will undoubtedly need to add a PCI card to give me more USB 3.0 ports (its common for me to be backing up to 5 external HDDs at once.) UNLESS you know of a case/motherboard combo that can provide me with 1/2 a dozen UBS 3.0 ports + another 4 USB 2.0 or 3.0 for stuff like speakers, mouse, keyboard, printers (wireless devices have never worked very well for me). I am not a gamer. Other than that, my computers are used for standard stuff like internet access, office work (email, document processing; spreadsheeting; some light database work), etc. I will also need the ability to connect to my cable modem via both WiFi and ethernet (RJ45). Finally, I will be installing my own internal HDDs (quantity 2) and at some point a 2nd SSD so there needs to be PSU cabling and 3 open SATA ports available to do this. I'll also have you install an Optical (DVD) drive for me so that'll use up a SATA port as well. If absolutely necessary, I can get by with 1 HDD and use an external caddy connected to a USB 3.0 port for the 2nd HDD. But the capacity to add at least 1 HDD and a 2nd SSD are 'gotta haves'.

So, my main question, to repeat, is what product line of yours should I be looking at given my needs stated above and give that a 500GB SSD is not available for your Slade 2 model?

In advance, thanks for any guidance you are able to provide to me.

P.S. Also, I strongly prefer NVIDIA GeForce graphic cards to anything based on AMD chips but given that only GeForce cards are available in the Slade 2 line, I'm guessing that's not going to be an issue. Almost forgot, 4 DIMM slots are also a must. I'll have you guys put in 16GB for me but I'll likely expand to 32GB at some point.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 1:51am
DS has transitioned to M.2 drives, replacing the selection of SATA SSD they use to carry.   Their selections are the same across all the product lines, like Slade, Lumos, etc.    The different lines are just the different cases.

You can ask them to order and install a specific part not carried, but there’s an extra charge.

Redbird14 View Drop Down

Quote Redbird14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 3:30am
Thanks for that information. Looks like a phone call is in order...
 Post Reply Post Reply