FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will The Aura Get an Option To Add a 1080Ti ?

Post Date: 2017-03-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acuraice View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Will The Aura Get an Option To Add a 1080Ti ?
    Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 10:53pm
Just checked to see if the Nvidia 1080Ti was an option to select when configuring an Aura AIO desktop, but it isn't. Wondering if it ever will be in the near future. It's the only holding me back from my purchase

Edited by acuraice - 18 Mar 2017 at 10:54pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:23am
Alex et al. will have to field this one, to be certain.

I would think that it would, though.

Here's hoping.
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:34am
"Alex et al. will have to field this one, to be certain"

??????????????????????????
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 2:48am
By Alex, Snaike means a DS employee.   

The 1080ti does have a 40 watt higher tdp , so not sure the Aura power supply will have a bearing on it.

Will be interesting to see.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 3:06am
Why install a card that is not necessary for the screen it has?Im%20with%20Stupid A second screen option?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 5:08am
Originally posted by acuraice

"Alex et al. will have to field this one, to be certain"

??????????????????????????

My apologies. I forget that I'm not speaking/writing to regular forums users from time to time and I tend to bring my work habits over to this forum.

What I meant was that you'll have to get that information directly from Digital Storm. Alex is usually the one from DS who patrols these forums, although Nav would be a good source as well.

Cheers.
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 7:42am
Thank you to all who responded to my post. I know a Ti is a bit of overkill but i want to make sure i future proof the Aura as much as possible at the time of purchase. I could have sworn i read that the 1080 Ti uses less power draw than a standard or founder's edition of the 1080, which the power supply currently can handle easily. I'll take ur advice ,and wait till Alex responds.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:51am
I've seen test results where the 1080 ti used 279 watts as opposed to the 1080's 184 watts under same conditions.   The specs are 180 watts for the 1080 and 240 for the 1080 ti.

acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:23am
Originally posted by hoserator

Why install a card that is not necessary for the screen it has?Im%20with%20Stupid A second screen option?

thanks for calling me stupid when i asked a simple logical question.

Edited by acuraice - 19 Mar 2017 at 9:23am
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:24am
Originally posted by bprat22

I've seen test results where the 1080 ti used 279 watts as opposed to the 1080's 184 watts under same conditions.   The specs are 180 watts for the 1080 and 240 for the 1080 ti.

But doesn't the Aura have a 450 watt power supply built in??? That would easily handle a Ti with the increased power draw

"Standard equipment also includes a 450-watt, 80 Plus Gold Rated power supply, and an unknown number of standard factory chassis fans. There are options for adding an optical drive, additional hard drive, or solid state drive. Users can also change the motherboard, the processor, the memory, and more."

Edited by acuraice - 19 Mar 2017 at 9:26am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:34am
If the psu was only used for the graphics card then I would agree.  But, the psu is used for the motherboard, memory, drives, cpu, etc.    A typical desktop system figures 200 watts for everything but the graphics card, but that's a very general number.   Plus, you don't want to max out a psu all the time.  80% is considered the optimal configuration by many. 

All that said, the Aura and any All In One system will probably have a smaller draw than a full size rig.   Maybe it could power a 1080ti.  This is just speculation since I haven't seen any actual test results.

acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:47am
Hmm, interesting. Thank you for all your input. Im fairly new to the PC gaming scene, id say the past 8 years of so and this would be my first semi-rig, lol. There are many downsides to an all in one, but this one would be good for at least 5 years especially if i threw a 1080 Ti into it, if it could handle it. I just wish they would refresh the model, give it a better higher resolution screen, upgrade the psu, upgrade to the Ti, and it would be an instant buy for me.

Would there be a way to upgrade the built in power supply or do they offer an external power supply option that would be compatible with the Aura?

Edited by acuraice - 19 Mar 2017 at 9:49am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:54am
Just my personal opinion, but I would configure a desktop system like the Apollo, maybe with a smaller case like Corridium, or a Bolt if space is an issue,  for the many more options you have over an AIO (all in one) .  The AIO is popular, but you are stuck with whatever screen they give you with it, plus if the screen gets bad pixels, poor color, etc, you're stuck with a dead system.   You do have the option in that case to connect an external monitor, but that defeats the purpose.

Picking a regular case gives you the option to research and pick the best ultra wide 1400p, if that's the desire, for the money.  The  AIO might be a little cheaper bundled like it is, but you will be using this for several years.

Just me. Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:56am

Would there be a way to upgrade the built in power supply or do they offer an external power supply option that would be compatible with the Aura?

Not sure.    This is another reason to pick a regular system.  It'll take whatever you decide to upgrade to in the future.  Big%20Smile
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:00pm
ok, thank you but i was led to believe the Aura AIO model is fully upgradeable to some extent.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:36pm
It is fully upgradeable.   Every part in there can be swapped.   But, and the psu is a good example, you have a lot more restrictions on what fits then you do with a full size case. Plus, you can't swap the screen without sending it in which means shipping both ways and the cost of the screen , beyond warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's popular for a reason,, being more portable, smaller, less wires, etc.

If someone likes the all in one concept then go for it.   I'm just expressing my opinion on getting the most for your money.    I'll take flexibility and ease of upgrading over cute.    Again, just me and I don't expect everyone to agree with me.   

acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 1:06pm
Ok well thank you very much for input. This is all a learning process for me.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:28am

Originally posted by hoserator

thanks for calling me stupid when i asked a simple logical question.

You misunderstood my comment. I was referring to me as the stupid one. Don't mean to insult anyone here. I am the one learning.Big%20Smile
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:08am
ok sorry if i misunderstood u
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:59am
No worries.Big%20Smile  Way better to get all doubts cleared before plunging in than after placing the order.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:24am
Sorry for the late reply, the Aura cannot power a GTX 1080 Ti or TITAN X due to the power draw. However, to be honest, the display can deliver a top tier experience with a GTX 1080, it does not need a GTX 1080 Ti either.
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:32pm
well that's disappointing :( So if i were to buy it, i could never upgrade the gpu past the 1080 founders edition??? U just saved me over $3k

How can they claim its fully upgradeable but u cant upgrade any gpu past the 1080?????

Edited by acuraice - 20 Mar 2017 at 2:33pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:37pm
If history is any indicator, future video cards with more performance will use less power than present ones.    Plus, the UltraWide 1440p doesn't need anything more than a 1080 as was said.    

The 1080ti is considered a 4K card.    

acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:03pm
still i was under the impression the Aura was designed to last for multiple upgrade cycles as the ad clearly states, but come to find out it's already maxed out??? ill wait until they refresh the model with a higher resolution screen, a minimum single 1080 ti and a swappable psu supply.

Edited by acuraice - 20 Mar 2017 at 3:05pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:07pm
Sounds like a plan.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:41pm
It uses a FlexATX PSU. Right now there isn't a good option, but there is a roots effort to get a 500W FlexATX unit made, which could support a Titan X or 1080 Ti.

But if you want full flexibility, you may want to look at just getting a small form factor computer and connecting it up to a monitor of your choice.
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:39pm
i just can't believe that it's sold as fully upgradable but you can never upgrade the gpu to anything higher than a 1080 founders edition. Everyday i go to the website just to admire it but keep telling myself no, don't buy it or you'll be in the same predicament you're in now with this pos imac i have. I wouldn't mind buying a tower and a separate monitor but it gets very confusing when trying to configure the tower versions vs the aura. also i have no idea what stuff to buy to make it work with a very large high def tv screen. I basically want to buy a new pc gaming rig that can handle anything i throw at it for many years and when it gets slow and sluggish, be able to upgrade the cpu and gpu and be ready to go for another few years. But it seems hopeless. i get nothing but runaround answers to my questions or disappointments as in "you just can't do that" or "no it's just not powerful enough". Im a hair away from saying the hell with pc gaming, buying myself a ps4 and a huge tv to play on. i just wish i could play with a mouse and keyboard on a console., not sure if they make such a device. I love having my computer and gaming all in one machine. Being able to minimize a game , look up a youtube video for a game walkthrough and then boom switch right back to the game. Not possible on a sh*tty console, at least not with such speed and ease. I just wish they would refresh the aura model , throw more power into it, give it a better screen, and a 1080ti option, and i would have already ordered it. I guess i'll just have to keep waiting, while everybody else gets to p;lay all the cool games.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 4:06pm
I don't understand the problem, with all due respect.   The gtx 1080 is all the Aura display needs for excellent gaming.   It's not a 4K display.   As far as future upgrading, a new generation video card in a year or two will, if history is any indicator, will be more powerful than the 1080ti and need less power to run.    You also can't install any motherboard you want, but the Aura has what it needs.   An all in one computer will always have limitations due to its size.

You're better off, if you want total upgrade ability, is to get a seperate tower like you mentioned, like an Apollo or Bolt 3. The size of the TV doesn't matter, just the resolution like 1920x1080 of hi def. We can show you a build that'll play great for under $2500.   Get the computer and get whatever monitor you want.   

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Apr 2017 at 4:09pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 4:22pm
Here's a build for a 1080p monitor .....   If you want a 4K display then change to the gtx 1080Ti.   

Configuration Code: 1653366
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,322.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1653366

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (Black)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 PC MATE (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 G3) (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage) <br><strong></strong>
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:42pm

i just can't believe that it's sold as fully upgradable but you can never upgrade the gpu to anything higher than a 1080 founders edition. Everyday i go to the website just to admire it but keep telling myself no, don't buy it or you'll be in the same predicament you're in now with this pos imac i have. I wouldn't mind buying a tower and a separate monitor but it gets very confusing when trying to configure the tower versions vs the aura. also i have no idea what stuff to buy to make it work with a very large high def tv screen. I basically want to buy a new pc gaming rig that can handle anything i throw at it for many years and when it gets slow and sluggish, be able to upgrade the cpu and gpu and be ready to go for another few years. But it seems hopeless. i get nothing but runaround answers to my questions or disappointments as in "you just can't do that" or "no it's just not powerful enough". Im a hair away from saying the hell with pc gaming, buying myself a ps4 and a huge tv to play on. i just wish i could play with a mouse and keyboard on a console., not sure if they make such a device. I love having my computer and gaming all in one machine. Being able to minimize a game , look up a youtube video for a game walkthrough and then boom switch right back to the game. Not possible on a sh*tty console, at least not with such speed and ease. I just wish they would refresh the aura model , throw more power into it, give it a better screen, and a 1080ti option, and i would have already ordered it. I guess i'll just have to keep waiting, while everybody else gets to p;lay all the cool games.

The system is upgradeable, but(there is always a but)it also still has limitations, especially being an AIO. In the future, as BPratt said, you can more than likely upgrade to a better card(if needed) or even upgrade other components within the tolerance of an AIO. What you are suggesting is by saying it isn't upgradable is like saying a Small Form Factor case (the Bolt) isn't upgradeable because it won't fit an ATX mother board. New video cards are coming out all the time, hell my 2x 980 TIs feel like dinosaurs now and I only got them last spring lol. That is why most of us have normal towers because it allows for more options. Sick of gaming at 1080p? Get a 1440p or 4k monitor not a whole new system.

While configuring a desktop may seem daunting it is actually pretty easy and everyone here is very helpful at helping you get something that fits your needs and stays with in budget.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 3:09pm

Simple solution: DO NOT BUY AN AIO SYSTEM!

The "Fully Upgradeable" means that if you go with a lower tier GPU, CPU, and less RAM, you will be able to upgrade those components later on down the road to one of the better/best component options shown for your AIO configuration. It doesn't mean you can put "anything" in it. I do not know if you would be able to change the motherboard from a MSI Z270I to an ASRock X99E.
I should point out that such an "upgrade" doesn't make much sense given the room, PSU, GPU, and RAM constraints with this AIO and one of the few advantages of going with the X99 in this case is simply being able to use a CPU with a higher number of cores, which most games will not utilize.

If future-proofing is on the top of your priority list, then go with a tower desktop and forget about AIOs. In my opinion, their AIO is just an oversized, powerful, wide-screen pseudo laptop that doesn't fold up. Given the options that are available for it, a fully upgraded Z270I Aura should give you, at the least, 4 years out of it and that's a very conservative estimate depending on how your needs grow. I don't see the gaming industry catering to 6-10 core CPUs anytime soon since 4 is the current standard and most gamers would rather put their money into the GPU. The 1080 8Gb Founders Ed. is still very new on the market, so... The system is more than sufficient for gaming, and when it comes to multi-tasking(such as gaming & you-tubing) upgrading the RAM from 8 to 16Gb would help more while a 1080Ti is just throwing money away.

If a 1080Ti is a must-have and you intend to eventually game at 4k, again, your only option is to ditch the AIO and select a tower desktop that will give you more flexibility for upgrades. However, keep in mind that you may end up paying a lot more up front if you still want a 34" 1440p res screen since that will have to be purchased in addition to the tower.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 3:20pm
Well said everyone, if a GTX 1080 Ti is a must, then it's best to go with something like an SFF such as our BOLT 3 which can do that and you can use a separate display.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 4:34pm
Also keep in mind that as future cards come out with new architecture, they will be more efficient. Theoretically, you can get GTX 1080 Ti or better performance in the future with GTX 1080 power consumption.
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:35pm
Thank you all once again for all of your support and comments. I like the build recommendation you suggested but would add a few options that i noticed you chose no thanks too. Also i would like a large high quality (min 1440 ) 4k screen/monitor with gsync. Can i just pick any large screen i like or does it have to have particular hookups ??? wouldn't it just need an hdmi connection port? I just don't want to buy the wrong monitor bc of newbie stupidity. if anyone can recommend a large (min 34") gsync monitor that has all the bells and whistles, that would be greatly appreciated. My budget is pretty high, i would say up to $4,000. I have always dreamed of having a powerful rig that can handle anything i throw at it. Something that down the road i can easily upgrade the cpu and gpu. I guess i would also have to upgrade the motherboard in order to upgrade the other 2 components?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 12:05am
I wouldn't know the best monitor but others will chime in. You can change gpu without changing the mb but a different class of cpu would require a new board.
Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>