FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

win 10 file explorer will not open

Post Date: 2016-05-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cleg View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: win 10 file explorer will not open
    Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:35am
Win 10 file explorer will not launch. I get no response when I click on it. This problem showed up after 2 events:
1. Win 10 updated.
2. I installed Eraser.

I uninstalled Eraser, and Win 10 file explorer functioned for a day and then stopped functioning again.

I can launch documents from the start menu fortunately, but cannot launch file explorer from the start menu.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2016 at 3:02pm
Will File Explorer launch via any other method, e.g. Windows Key + E?  Also, does it show as open in the taskbar but you just can't see it on screen?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:51pm
conduct a full system files scan to check whether some system files are corrupted, moved, renamed or deleted. Using System File Checker, you will be able to restore original versions of such files, if any detected.

1. Insert Windows 10 install disc in your DVD Drive.
2. Fire up Command Prompt (abbreviated as, CMD)
3. Execute "SFC /SCANNOW" command; reboot after completion.

a great many people also fix this my adjusting their screen text size from 175% to 150%. 

i'd also run CCleaner to clean out old files. fragments, and internet cache. 

Edited by db188 - 18 May 2016 at 9:58pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

Will File Explorer launch via any other method, e.g. Windows Key + E?  Also, does it show as open in the taskbar but you just can't see it on screen?

No. It will not launch via any other method. It does not show as open in the taskbar.

Edited by Cleg - 19 May 2016 at 8:17pm
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by db188

conduct a full system files scan to check whether some system files are corrupted, moved, renamed or deleted. Using System File Checker, you will be able to restore original versions of such files, if any detected.

1. Insert Windows 10 install disc in your DVD Drive.
2. Fire up Command Prompt (abbreviated as, CMD)
3. Execute "SFC /SCANNOW" command; reboot after completion.

I ran SFC /SCANNOW without the install disc in the DVD drive prior to reading your post. When the scan was done I had the following message: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. "

a great many people also fix this my adjusting their screen text size from 175% to 150%. 

This does not help.

i'd also run CCleaner to clean out old files. fragments, and internet cache. 
I'll look into that.
Thanks.

The problem has become intermittent. Sometimes file explorer functions for awhile after starting up or restarting the computer.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2016 at 2:58pm
What's interesting is that the Windows Explorer uses the same exact process as the taskbar, Start Menu, and other standard components: explorer.exe.

When the problem occurs again, you could open up Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc if right clicking the taskbar and choosing "Task Manager" doesn't work).  Go to the Processes tab and find "Windows Explorer" there and right click the process and choose Restart (you must be running Task Manager as an Admin, I believe)  Your taskbar will disappear as it restarts and then returns and your system tray icons will quickly refresh.  At that point, try opening a file explorer window again and see if it comes up this time.

If it does, something seems to be causing some corruption with the process.  I can't say what it is yet, but it's a place to start.
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 7:02am

What's interesting is that the Windows Explorer uses the same exact process as the taskbar, Start Menu, and other standard components: explorer.exe.

When the problem occurs again, you could open up Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc if right clicking the taskbar and choosing "Task Manager" doesn't work).  Go to the Processes tab and find "Windows Explorer" there and right click the process and choose Restart (you must be running Task Manager as an Admin, I believe)  Your taskbar will disappear as it restarts and then returns and your system tray icons will quickly refresh.  At that point, try opening a file explorer window again and see if it comes up this time.

If it does, something seems to be causing some corruption with the process.  I can't say what it is yet, but it's a place to start.

Thank you for the suggestion. I followed your instructions. File explorer does not work after restarting it.
Fortunately I have been able to navigate to files by clicking on "Documents" in the Start window. But even when I do that, I notice a problem; if I right click on a file, I get the hourglass and nothing happens. I can use keyboard shortcuts with the files , however.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 7:34am
Hi Cleg,

Can you type File in the task bar search function?. It should bring up a link to File Explorer.

Can you type explorer.exe in the task bar search function? It should bring up a RUN link that opens File Explorer.

What about the Start Menu when you press the Windows Key. Do you have a File Explorer Tile that will open File Explorer?    

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 24 May 2016 at 7:36am
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:27am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi Cleg,

Can you type File in the task bar search function?. It should bring up a link to File Explorer.

Can you type explorer.exe in the task bar search function? It should bring up a RUN link that opens File Explorer.

What about the Start Menu when you press the Windows Key. Do you have a File Explorer Tile that will open File Explorer?    

Frank

Hey Frank,
I have already tried those options. I have also navigated to the Windows folder and double-clicked the explorer.exe icon. None of these methods will open the file explorer.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 9:18am
Not sure you tried this, but go to Control Panel , File Explorer Options and hit the Clear button.  Reboot and see if it helps.

Try it in Safe Mode.    Type msconfig in Run lower left , Boot tab and select Safe Mode.   I haven' tried it in Win 10, so not sure what comes up, but you could have a particular program interfering with File Explorer.  Takes a little experimentation to see what program enabled causes it. 
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:12am
Hi Cleg,

Right click on the desk top and select Display. What percentage do you have yours set for. Are you using more than one monitor?

Frank
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:31am
Originally posted by bprat22

Not sure you tried this, but go to Control Panel , File Explorer Options and hit the Clear button.  Reboot and see if it helps.

Try it in Safe Mode.    Type msconfig in Run lower left , Boot tab and select Safe Mode.   I haven' tried it in Win 10, so not sure what comes up, but you could have a particular program interfering with File Explorer.  Takes a little experimentation to see what program enabled causes it. 

Interesting.
Hitting the clear button did not appear to fix the problem after a reboot.
When I then booted into safe mode, file explorer worked. After then rebooting normally (not in safe mode) file explorer now works. I am not sure why, but I am glad to see it. Thanks for your help.
Incidentally, I had tried booting up in safe mode (using the old tapping F8 while booting) a few days ago, but couldn't do it. So, today I learned that to get into safe mode in Win 10, a different method is required. (Opening msconfig and then selecting safe mode under the "boot" tab)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again.
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:34am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi Cleg,

Right click on the desk top and select Display. What percentage do you have yours set for. Are you using more than one monitor?

Frank

It's at 150%
I'm using only 1 monitor.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:53am
Strong    Great to see. 

I suspect a program was interfering with File Explorer and Safe Mode fix it, maybe just temporarily. 

F8, I read, doesn't work with Win 10.  Haven't tried it that way, but Win 10 has altered some of this.  msconfig is great for all kinds of things. 

Reason Frank mentioned the mag of the fonts is because at or  above 150% has led others to have issues. 

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 4:21pm
I haven't played with it yet, but doesn't Windows 10 have a new way of handling multiple desktops?  I wonder if this had something to do with it.
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:19am

I haven't played with it yet, but doesn't Windows 10 have a new way of handling multiple desktops?  I wonder if this had something to do with it.

I only used one desktop. But that is an interesting thought.
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:21am
Originally posted by bprat22

Strong    Great to see. 

I suspect a program was interfering with File Explorer and Safe Mode fix it, maybe just temporarily. 

Yes, it is a temporary fix. It works for several restarts and then I have to boot into safe mode to restore the functionality of file explorer.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:28am
Yeah, I'm not surprised.    Safe Mode by itself doesn't change anything long term.   My best advice would be to use Task Manager, both Processors and Startup tabs, and make a list of what's there and their status after a Safe boot and its fixed, and then again when the issue raises its ugly head again.

Possible external devices, like a printer being used occasionally is the culprit. Check Scheduled Tasks for anything. 

This could be a big pain in the arse to find.   

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 4:39pm
There's some introductory info here about multiple desktops in Windows 10.  You could check and see if somehow you accidentally added another virtual desktop and Explorer is opening there.

Something to check; however, it's probably a longshot.
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:58am
Nothing worked, so finally I backed up my files just in case, and did a reset. Everything is working fine now, since the reset.

Thank you everyone for your help.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:36am
Good to hear. Something was corrupt in your system and sometimes your fix is the only way. Congrats.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:34am
Yes, definitely good to hear that things are working now.  Sorry the other fixes didn't work.
Cleg View Drop Down

Quote Cleg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:37pm
The Win 10 reset is a lot faster and easier than having to reinstall Windows like we used to have to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply