Windows 10

Post Date: 2015-10-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 10
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:47pm
So since windows 10 has been out for awhile i figure i would make a post and ask how everyone is liking it so far? Anybody have issues?
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 2:19pm
I've had stability issues with Microsoft Edge (I think it is due to its memory compression), but the O/S has been stable for the most part. I've crashed a couple times due to my own fault...having waaaaayy too many tabs and programs open at the same time causing a fatal memory error.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 2:38pm
I've installed Windows 10 on my 4 year old DS and my much older "the big D" and they both run flawlessly.   No hardware, driver, etc issues at all. I like it.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:41pm
win10 and chrome.

No issues, no hassles and no disappointments. All is well.   
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Snaike

win10 and chrome.

No issues, no hassles and no disappointments. All is well.   

Do you use Origin? If so does it work for you as someone on a facebook group said that Origin doesn't open for them.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 4:53am
No Origin here.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 6:00am
Origin works fine for me.  Haven't gone on it in awhile but just did, it updated and works.  
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 6:13am
I have had good success with Windows 10. Any problems I have had were easy to fix except for Outlook 2003. I couldn't get my version of outlook to work properly. My wife doesn't like changes so had a bigger problem with her than her Email. I downloaded eM Client and that solved the Email problem.

We did not like the Win-10 Outlook setup at all. We don't use Email on the Cell Phone so no need for a skinny Email program.

I see Microsoft will be coming out with a new unlocked Lumia 950 phone. The new Windows Phone 10 is coming out this month.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 02 Oct 2015 at 6:15am
Bronwen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bronwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:32am
I have had good luck with Windows 10 so far. I do run Origin and have not had any issues with it not running correctly. I did just run into an issue on one of my older systems. I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the system activated just fine. During the process of installing other software the system crashed and got to a point where i could not recover. I did another clean install and now i can't activate my license anymore. I need to call in to MS to see what is going on. The error I get is my key is now blocked.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 12:07pm
Still avoiding the install of this OS.  I still see too many reports of issues online, and I'm going to give it some more time for the kinks to get worked out.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 5:24pm
+1.
very pleased with Win 7U, but also liked VistaHahaha. Will wait. There are some issues with W10's business model (matter of updates/upgrades) that might finally make me go to UBuntu.
Atlas View Drop Down

Quote Atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 5:12am
I am liking Win 10 more than I expected to. I had used Win 7 prior... never used Win 8. I was a bit worried about making that jump, but was pleasantly surprised in the same way I was going from XP to 7.

The one nagging issue I have with Windows 10 is that I keep having issues with getting my pc to go to sleep. I had this problem to a lesser degree with Windows 7. In Win 7 it was usually a windows update that prevented sleep, but I have not nailed down a cause for Windows 10 issues.
Bolt III
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:07am
I've not had any issues with Win10 and getting my rig to sleep, because I turn off sleep, hibernate and any other "screen savers".

On is on, and power down for the day. Sleep/Hibernate was causing issues with wifi and peripherals making a system reset necessary about 50% of the time.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:25am
I've never. personally, understood the Sleep option.   The drives boot so fast, what's another minute or two?   Unless its a business environment where rushing to the pc to get a quick answer is needed.

Big%20Smile
Atlas View Drop Down

Quote Atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:40am
So you guys power your systems on and off every time you use them? I've always just let my system sleep at night and only power off when I am going out of town for several days or something like that.
Bolt III
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:45am
Generally turn it off if not going to be used for more than 4-5 hrs., otherwise on all the time from morning to night. Never sleep or hibernate, always had issues on wakeup.
Just me, everyone has a different way to skin a cat.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:52am
I turn my rig on in the morning, leave it on all day whether I'm using it or not, and then power down every night.  

There are some that keep the rig on 24/7.    Reliability doesn't seem to be effected as some swear that powering it on and off every day will stress the parts more than just leaving it on.

I just can't see leaving the fans spinning, juice to the boards, etc , possibly be open to internet hacks, I knew someone with that issue,  surges, and wasting electricity.  Big%20Smile     I'm the type of guy that unplugs the toaster, chargers, coffee maker etc from the wall whenever I'm done.    Paranoid, anyone.  Hahaha

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:53am
Originally posted by hoserator

Just me, everyone has a different way to skin a cat.

I covered my cats' eyes when I saw this.  LOL       Kidding, they can't read, yet.  Big%20Smile
Atlas View Drop Down

Quote Atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:00am
My personal experience is I have had a lot more problems the more I power my system on/off. My new Bolt 3 replaced a system I had been using for 6 years straight (still going it will be a gift for my brother) and it was almost never powered off.
Bolt III
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:14am
Yeah, the last psu that died on me and maybe the graphics card, were right after I powered on.  Now, would they have died anyways?  Probably, but no way to say.

On a commercial level, equipment I serviced that remained on 24/7 because they ran 3 shifts versus 1 shift operations that powered down every night, I didn't see any difference in reliability based on volume of use between calls.  
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Atlas

So you guys power your systems on and off every time you use them? I've always just let my system sleep at night and only power off when I am going out of town for several days or something like that.

I don't, i leave mine on 24/7 unless a storm is coming or i dust my pc out
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

drfm View Drop Down

Quote drfm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 5:06pm
I have been having a lot of issues with Win 10 Pro.
Got my second DS computer with Windows 10 Pro installed, Downloaded MS Office Pro 2016 and installed it (took a call to MS help with someone taking over my PC remotely to get it to installed).

I get frequent random freezes especially when using Outlook, Word or Excel (not much other software on the computer other than Adobe 11 Pro and a medical chart software). Only hard reboot will work then.

Computer sometime does not wake up from sleep (selected Never go to sleep in settings) and I have to power reboot.

Got several BSOD each with different messages.

So far it has been a nightmare.
I don't know if it is a hardware or Windows 10/MS Office problem or both.

These problems are reported on the web with no solutions.
So for me Win 10 needs bug fixes.

So to answer the OP question. Wait for Windows 10

Computer based on Asus X99 Deluxe USB 3.1, Intel i7 5930K (overclocked to 4 Ghz), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX(2800) RAM, NVIDIA GTX 980 TI 6GB(PNY), Intel mini SAS 400 GB 750 High Performance SDD, 2 WG 2 GB in RAID 1, Corsair HX1000i power supply, Blu-ray read/write (LG)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 11:47pm
Win10 + Office 2013 and nary a problem...
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 6:32am
Hi drfm,

Windows 10 is running well for a lot of people. I don't know about Office 2016. Is the working version of 2016 available or just the Preview version? To install Office 2016 you should uninstall all other versions of Office. Before installing 2016 you need to visit Microsoft and get the correct installer for 32bit or 64bit Windows. I think you have to have the correct installer to make 2016 work.

If you didn't have any problems with Windows 10 before you downloaded 2016 then I would go back to your previous version of Office for a while. If this is a new computer that you just got, you could have some hardware problems or a problem with your Over Clock. You can temporary remove the OC in the Bios to see if that helps.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 31 Oct 2015 at 6:33am
drfm View Drop Down

Quote drfm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 1:27pm
Hi Frank,

The computer is brand new from DS. The Office Pro 2016 is a finished retail product that I downloaded from Microsoft Office web site.

I think it may be a hardware problem as my wife downloaded Windows 10 Pro upgrade (64 bit)(Had Windows 8.1 Pro) on her DEll XPS 9100 computer and it has been working with no problem. The Dell computer has MS Office 2013 installed.
NorrinRad View Drop Down

Quote NorrinRad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 5:04am
I avoided updating my old system here (the only PC I currently have , I'm awaiting delivery of my new DS Apollo) but I finally took the plunge and updated Win 8.1 to Win 10.

One reason I held off on the upgrade for this old HP computer was that I knew there was an issue with the "HP Beats" driver that works in conjunction with the IDT motherboard audio driver.

HP has not (and will not, judging by the way they've treated certain driver updates for Win 10) update the audio driver for this motherboard that have the "HP Beats" installed on their systems.

I've had issues with my speaker and audio setup since I received this system. So, I held off because I didn't want to add another layer of something that would ultimately end up frustrating me over the long haul.

Yet, the stability of Win 10 appealed to me, and so I decided to go ahead and do it. Overall, I'm glad I did, the audio driver is still an issue, I just run everything with the HP beats software disabled. Everything sounds fine, and the audio driver issue ended up being a minor thing in the end.

I've liked Win 10 for the stability and improvement over 8.1, but disliked many aspects of the OS itself.

I got the disable win 10 automatic updates program that allows you to change how Microsoft implemented updating the OS. That's the one biggest issue I've really had with Win 10.

They're moving in the direction of taking the optional way many of us used to update our OS's and made it more of a "Mandatory" and uniform way of forcing us down the update path to keep our OS up-to-date.

Personally, I don't like the way they've gone about that process. As a power user, I simply like to have 100% control and be able to manually setup how my system works in all (or as many) aspects as I can.

But, long story short, I've not encountered any other issues with Win 10, and I like the fact I went on and upgraded, so I could learn the new OS, learn it's strengths and weaknesses, and get used to how it works.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.7/10 stars for design, implementation and ease of use.
Apollo - 5930 stage 1 OC CPU, ASUS X99-A mobo, 32 GB RAM, 2 SLI 980ti 6GB cards, 1000 Watt PSU, blue led fans, remote controlled lighting, 500GB SSD, 4GB WD black mechanical HDD, Win10 home 64-bit.

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 1:20pm
I took the Win7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade plunge this week with my DS Hailstorm with the Asus X79 Sabertooth mobo. Had delayed to change out my shrinking 240GB C drive SSD for a larger 480GB Intel 730 SSD...used Paragon to migrate the Win7 Pro OS.
Intel has simplified their SSD software down to an app called the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox. Firmwear updates, diagnostics, SSD Optomizer and System Tuner all in one app. Like the Toolbox app.

Upgrade to Win 10 Pro went very smooth...no problems so far. I turned off a lot of their crap I don't want but I was pleasantly surprised it preserved my desktop view, settings, and everything was recognizable. Seems to be working well.

Going to do my sons 4 yr old DS Ode with the Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo next. I already upgraded his old C drive SSD to a 240GB Intel 535 SSD, and he has a year old EVGA GTX 780 Classified video card upgrade. Got the go-ahead all compatible on this rig for Win10 Pro upgrade e-mail from Microsoft last week. I'm a little more nervous about upgrading this P67 rig because Asus isn't offering new mobo drivers for Win 10 for this older board as previously promised by their support. Their latest drivers cover up to Win 8.1. I suspect Win10 will work anyway. Folks having issues seem to be using the most recent mobos, and Microsoft seems to have concentrated more on making older Win 7 and 8 hardware function in the Win10 environment.

I'll advise here later on how it goes...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 1:25pm
I upgrade my 4.5 year old ODE p67 with 2500k chip with zero problems. The smoothest I've had. I didn't wait for the go ahead but did it manually with their media creater download.

I'm sure you have different hardware, software but for me, no problem.   
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 1:32pm
Very Encouraging... Thought yoou had the P67 Ode but wasnt certain. Will advise but that's a relief sir!
(I'm making him clean up inside his dusty case before we do this...lol...seemed a good excuse...lol)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 2:20pm
Tell him Windows 10 checks for dust.   

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 4:37pm
Win10 update went very smoothly on my son's Sabertooth P67 equipped DS Ode, and only took about 25 minutes. He is way pleased to be safe on the other side in Win10 Pro now....Bens Beast is up & gaming! I'm happy to have that rig OS on Win10 to go a bit further down the road before needing mobo-processor-ram upgrades...lol.   

Thanks bprat22 for your helpful input sir!
jimjb66 View Drop Down

Quote jimjb66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I turn my rig on in the morning, leave it on all day whether I'm using it or not, and then power down every night.   There are some that keep the rig on 24/7.    Reliability doesn't seem to be effected as some swear that powering it on and off every day will stress the parts more than just leaving it on.I just can't see leaving the fans spinning, juice to the boards, etc , possibly be open to internet hacks, I knew someone with that issue,  surges, and wasting electricity.  Big%20Smile     I'm the type of guy that unplugs the toaster, chargers, coffee maker etc from the wall whenever I'm done.    Paranoid, anyone.  Hahaha

i usually power down also .... especially in dusty environments.
information is critical. keep it accurate.
 Post Reply Post Reply