Windows 7 and 8.1 updates switching to cumulative

Post Date: 2016-08-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 7 and 8.1 updates switching to cumulative
    Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:34am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:35am
This is great news for us win7 users that want to reinstall or any new users that want to install win7, all updates in one pack

Of course it sounds like it will take a full year for all updates but still its better than what it is now.
EdgeCrusher View Drop Down

Quote EdgeCrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:46pm
While this is good news in the sense that it will be easier to update in the future, I'm still not exactly jumping for joy for a few reasons.

One being that I'm pretty sure the reason why the upgrade servers and service is so bad as of late is because Microsoft made it that way to nudge you towards buying Windows 10. I remember all Microsoft help pages I went to looking for an answer said "Upgrade to Windows 10 now and you wont have this problem!" But that might be a different story.

The other thing is if Microsoft wanted to make a comprehensive rollout of all previous updates they could certainly do that quicker then a year. I'm not sure what the slow drip integration is for but ok, I'll just accept it.

Lastly the issue with a fully comprehensive update means also including the KB update that installs the "buy Windows 10" pop up (unless after getting sued they have now removed it, I use GWXcontrol panel to disable this)or any other KB that you might know conflicts with certain hardware that you might have. You will have to attempt to remove them after the update.

So while I would have preferred them just adding update servers or get rid of whatever throttling they may have applied to it recently, I guess this will have to do as the current system is god aweful.
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:11am
I still have my windows 8.1 update set to off because of the constant windows 10 harassment I had to deal with last year. I currently have a very low opinion of MS  and will continue to have updates disabled, at least until it's known whether or not MS is making this change in order to sneak the Windows 10 like telemetry into not Win 10 systems.  Conspiracy theory maybe, but articles like this do not help.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2972298/microsoft-windows/10-reasons-you-shouldnt-upgrade-to-windows-10.html
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:40am
While I'm no win10 fan, I found that article just bash win10, there are plenty of people on this forum that use win10 that don't suffer from some of the stuff this article cries about.

You can get ride of win10 nag, otherwise the trade off is that your win8.1 is vulnerable right now to hacks and attacks much easier then a patched win8.1.

I don't like win10 simply because its not a reliable OS, and by that I mean that I don't trust the win10 techs to know it and have tested it enough to release updates that don't create more headaches then they create yet.

forget Cortana, like that is a reason I would chose one OS over the other. When they get these assistants to the point where they are AI properly then talk to me, till then count me out. Or onedrive, do I care onedrive does not work? NO, I can keep going on and on about that article, but I won't.

Again I'm no win10 fan nor do I want to use it on my pc yet. but as I mentioned that is because its not reliable.

I feel really bad for all the people that have to deal with all the headache of win10, the only thing I can say is clone your drives before updates, so that if you don't like an update, you can just go back to your clone and not install that particular update.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Aug 2016 at 6:42am
EdgeCrusher View Drop Down

Quote EdgeCrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 1:46pm
Its really not a conspiracy theory alci and windows isn't the only people doing it. Google has been logging your data for years.

Why do you think they are giving windows 10 away for free? because its meta data collection only works when they get everybody on the same OS. Their tactics of forcing people to upgrade have resulted in lawsuits against them.

Its a bit exhausting going back and forth with people who insist that because hey haven't seen it on 60 minutes that people aren't collecting their data and storing it in data farms to use against you later. Its definitely going on and its definitely wrong. They just get away with it because most people will jus dismiss it as conspiracy rather then doing the research themselves.

Look Snowden is correct about this. Nothing you do electronically anymore is not monitored. Windows 7 is mostly absent of these logging tools and for this they keep trying to force and push people to upgrade, but there is no reason to.

Don't believe me? res the 2000 page EULA for windows 10. Buried in it is passages that allow Microsoft full access to all your pictures, videos, music, e-mails and they monitor what programs you use, how long you use them etc. also everything you do online is tracked already. Also there are passages saying Microsoft can refer you to local authorities if they deem your use of windows illegal or if you are doing illegal things in windows. Its like nightmarish stuff. Look it up yourself, by agreeing to install win 10 you effectively give away any privacy you had left digitally.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:35pm
Your windows version really does not matter the second you go on the internet you area being watched by so many different entities its not even funny. Truth is that there is not such thing is security when it comes to computers and internet.

Anybody that does not understand that just puts themselves and their loved ones at a higher risk for identity fraud / stolen identity.
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

While I'm no win10 fan, I found that article just bash win10, there are plenty of people on this forum that use win10 that don't suffer from some of the stuff this article cries about.

You can get ride of win10 nag, otherwise the trade off is that your win8.1 is vulnerable right now to hacks and attacks much easier then a patched win8.1.

I don't like win10 simply because its not a reliable OS, and by that I mean that I don't trust the win10 techs to know it and have tested it enough to release updates that don't create more headaches then they create yet.

forget Cortana, like that is a reason I would chose one OS over the other. When they get these assistants to the point where they are AI properly then talk to me, till then count me out. Or onedrive, do I care onedrive does not work? NO, I can keep going on and on about that article, but I won't.

Again I'm no win10 fan nor do I want to use it on my pc yet. but as I mentioned that is because its not reliable.

I feel really bad for all the people that have to deal with all the headache of win10, the only thing I can say is clone your drives before updates, so that if you don't like an update, you can just go back to your clone and not install that particular update.
DST4ME, can you explain cloning your drives a bit more. I usually just put stuff I don't want to use on an external hard drive but I've seen you and a few others talk about cloning or building an external system with your own drives to hold your info. Thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 5:09pm
you can follow my clone guide here

If you have more questions let me know.

Cloning is basically duplicating your drive. If its an OS drive, that means making a duplicate that boots to windows and etc just like the current drive. In effect we are making a backup of our OS drive so that if anything goes wrong with the current OS drive we can put the backup in place of the OS drive and continue from the backup as if nothing ever happened.
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 5:20pm
Thanks seems pretty straight forward. I currently down own a ssd but have one on this build thanks to you. Is it better to save your OS and all your programs your using and your games to the ssd? Are there things you don't recommend to the ssd and just using the hdd drive for those. I want to keep my system as fast as possible for as long as possible. I also prefer to keep sone things off my PC and just on an external drive.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 6:27pm
I keep things that need to be with the OS on the OS drive and store my media/work/etc files on a different drive. I backup both, but the only one that needs to be clone is the OS drive. The drive with my media/work/etc files on it can simply be copy and pasted but I have them on auto to back up to a different drive.

Its best to keep what needs the OS to work with the OS, so if your games for example is one of those that uses reg keys and can't just be moved by copy and paste I would keep those with my OS.

If you have a good ssd your system will stay fast, just don't get it filled up more then 70 - 80%, if you see you are getting to 70% - 80% capacity on the ssd then its time for a bigger drive.

What will slow your system down is number of apps set to start with windows, always keep this in check with CCleaner. You can find CC under the must have software on the software section of the forums. Its pinned.
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 6:34pm
Thanks I did see the list of recommended apps I plan on using most of them. I want a healthy PC with minimal issues. Good thing the PC I'm having built is all about fun and not work so I should be able to keep most of the junk off it. Thanks again DST I'm sure I will have a question or two when I actually get the PC.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 6:35pm
My pleasure You have anymore questions let us know
 Post Reply Post Reply