FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

x17 Laptop Config

Post Date: 2012-04-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Siikzhot View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Siikzhot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: x17 Laptop Config
    Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 4:33pm
Budget:
Under $1750(S&H) Because i am getting this as a present from my grandparents for graduating high school and not wanting to put too much of their money into this.

I want to be able to run games in 1920x1080p without lag although the highest possible settings do not matter to me yet, Games like BF3, GTA4, Skyrim, Saints Row 3,

90% Gaming, 10% Misc (Recording Gameplay, Editing, Internet, Music)

So this is the config i came up with so far

Chassis Model: Digital Storm x17 Laptop (Model: 8171)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 2760QM (2.4 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.5Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Wireless Card: 802.11 B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Now i went with a better CPU but if someone could tell me whether thats a good idea or not i will change it. If i don't get the better CPU i could get better RAM and a better wireless card while still not going over my budget.

After i get the laptop however i am going to buy an SSD with my own money and move windows and games toward that so with the Drives im fine.

So basically should i go with a better CPU or better ram/Wireless Card. And if anyone has this laptop how powerful is it gaming wise?

I am ordering this laptop within a few days so if anyone could be of any help i will much appreciate it
Falkus View Drop Down

Quote Falkus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:37am
I'd personally get the better wireless card right off the bat. The best one is only about $22 more, and if you are going to be using it for gaming than you need to get rid of as much lag as possible.

8GB of RAM should be plenty, and the CPU should be fine, although if upgrading is within your price range I'd do it.

From what I've heard on the forums, these laptops handle games like a dream, so you shouldn't have any problems. Cool

Edited by Falkus - 18 Apr 2012 at 12:56pm
josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josephlee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 6:35am
Yeah, with a gaming laptop, if budget permits, I would 2nd Falkus and say go with the best wireless card. With all the sweet gear you will be rocking, don't want your connection to slow you down.
Siikzhot View Drop Down

Quote Siikzhot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:53pm
I already ordered the laptop but thank you for your input, THe reason i wasn't able to get a better cpu or a better wireless card is this is a present from my grandparents for my High School Graduation and I had already told them a ball parked price but i didn't know they said okay this is how much you can spend but hey its still great that they did that.

But i did have to spend $100 of my money to upgrade the GPU to the 675M. If i can will definitely be getting the better wireless card and a SSD
 Post Reply Post Reply