X99-E Mini-ITX Motherboard

Post Date: 2015-03-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: X99-E Mini-ITX Motherboard
    Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 2:15pm
DS may want to start carrying ASRock motherboards in certain cases...this X99E-ITX/ac board would be the MB for the Bolt II Ultimate.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 2:21pm
Definitely looking forward to testing this board out.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 2:23pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 2:47pm
Quite interesting, only concern is that is it really worth trying to put a high-end chipset/solution in such a small space when someone is most likely going to build a unit in a larger chassis if they are going to fully utilize X99 benefits...
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 2:59pm
They are limiting the memory bandwidth advantages that X99 normally has by only using 2 of the 4 channels available. But, you do get additional processing cores and I/O bandwidth (unlike the Maximus VII Impact that has to switch all of the PCI-e lanes in order to make a PCI-e 3.0 x4 M.2 slot possible, they can route it directly from the processor here).

I would say this would be more for the "Ultimate" kind of builds. And with the Bolt II having substantial liquid cooling for the processor, overclocking will be possible in a SFF.

But, as you were saying, X99 is better suited for larger builds, and I would opt for a µATX board if I were building one. But there are many SFF fanatics out there, so I'll leave it to you guys to determine whether there are enough to warrant such an option as this.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 11:17pm
Thinking about it some more, I think this board may enjoy a little of half a year of good relevance. If the rumors about the Z170 chipset are true, then Intel will be updating the DMI interface and the Skylake processors will have the full PCI-e interface without a switch while being able to simultaneously support multiple PCI-e 3.0 M.2 cards. While these interfaces through the Z170 chipset will have some additional latency, it is in the nanoseconds, which is insignificant for storage, unlike co-processor (e.g. GPU) communication, especially when the interface is the bottleneck in the system.

Once Skylake is out, the only real advantage a board like this would have is additional cores, which may or may not be worth it, depending on the person.
 Post Reply Post Reply