FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

XFX GTX 260 Core 216

Post Date: 2008-12-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
impulse9 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote impulse9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 9:39pm
Hey I just talked with a rep from DS on the phone, who was unbelievably helpful.  I originally asked for the EVGA GTX 260 Core 216.  I read earlier that DS doesn't sell the Superclocked version of EVGA's 260.  He told me I'll be getting the XFX GTX 260.  I just have a couple of questions.  On newegg the EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked (626mhz) is the same price as the XFX GTX 260 Core 216 (576mhz).  I asked for EVGA because I hear they have a simplistic OC format and I was looking to take advantage of the 90 Day Step Up Plan.  I also only read one review on the XFX 260.  There are over 200 reviews on EVGA's Superclocked (626) and (576mhz) 260's.  Is there a reason no one seems to be buying the XFX GTX 260 Core 216?  I realize the Black Edition is very popular so maybe that's it.  Is it worth waiting for EVGA if it indeed is out of stock and is the Superclocked version available?  My guess is a lot of people are going with EVGA and that's why the XFX is available or maybe somebody got the order wrong...but I doubt it.  Thanks for the help. 
ImpulsE9
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 10:25pm
get the xfx and you can OC it yourself and save the money, however I'm surprised that the person you spoke to did not tell you that you can ask for what ever card you like to be installed in your PC

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2008 at 10:26pm
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 10:36pm

Wink I hope this doesn't affect my intentions to go with a EVGA 260gtx (216)

impulse9 View Drop Down

Quote impulse9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 10:59pm
get the xfx and you can OC it yourself and save the money, however I'm surprised that the person you spoke to did not tell you that you can ask for what ever card you like to be installed in your PC

I didn't ask.  Well, I want the GTX 260 Core 216 of some sort.  I think it was you that said DS won't install the OC'd versions of EVGA/XFX/BFG etc...right?  So I couldn't get the EVGA Superclocked 260 or the XFX Black Edition even if I wanted to.  I am not going to have DS OC it for me but I was wondering when I asked for the EVGA they went with the XFX.  Not complaining, just wondering what the differences are (if any) and if I can in fact get the EVGA Superclocked/XFX Black Edition or XXX (640mhz?).  So my assumption was that every Core 216 that DS sells will start at 576mhz clock speed without them OC'ing.  Am I right or wrong about that? 

ImpulsE9
impulse9 View Drop Down

Quote impulse9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:11pm

DST4ME:  if you are ordering from DS its not, but it can be OCed with the tool I mentioned, you can also request an OC version of the card which will be more expensive or you can ask DS to OC it

That was referring to the EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked.  So I can request the Superclocked if I want but it might take longer and it will be more expensive?  Or you can request ANY card by XFX/EVGA/BFG, no matter if it's factory OC'd or not?  I know it will be more expensive in most cases, but can I still request it or will they refuse to sell already OC'd cards?

ImpulsE9
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:19pm
@ Dsnewb210, no I would go with evga 260+ myself

@ impulse9, it was not me that told you that, maybe it was skyR, but if you want to know what DS does, its best that you ask them.

also I like to pointout that I said OC it yourself, not DS, when you get the card just use Rivatuner and this great guide and here is a nice guide for it and oc the card, if you have any questions you can ask on the forum and we can help you

last which ever you want you can ask to DS to put in your system, aside from the price here is the EVGA Superclocked and XFX Black Edition next to each other:

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by impulse9

DST4ME:  if you are ordering from DS its not, but it can be OCed with the tool I mentioned, you can also request an OC version of the card which will be more expensive or you can ask DS to OC it

That was referring to the EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked.  So I can request the Superclocked if I want but it might take longer and it will be more expensive?  Or you can request ANY card by XFX/EVGA/BFG, no matter if it's factory OC'd or not?  I know it will be more expensive in most cases, but can I still request it or will they refuse to sell already OC'd cards?

you can request for what ever card you like to be installed in your system, any card. The price difference depends on the price of the card itself.
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:26pm

I didn't have them OC the gpu's because i thought it would be fun learn how to oc them. (with the help of DST4ME of course :P) 

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:31pm
there are people on the forum much better at ocing gpus then me but its really easy, if you can download rivatuner right now and checkout the guide, if you just follow the section on "Creating Overclocking Profiles" you will see all you have to do, once you can do that you have basically learned how to use rivatuner, everything else is set pretty much the same way.

impulse9 View Drop Down

Quote impulse9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:35pm
Thanks for your help, DST4ME.  I'm looking at the post now on hardware discussions on the 18th and I guess I misunderstood what you said.  You were simply saying without mentioning anything, it'd be the regular Core 216 card.  I figured I could get what I wanted, I swear I saw plenty of people with FTW cards ordered from here Evil%20Smile I appreciate it.  I talked to a guy tonight and forgot to mention upgrading the video card options.  Thanks a lot man. 
ImpulsE9
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:36pm
Hmm.. well i do remember reading about another OC program that was alittle more user friendly then riva tuner. I think it was by EVGA..
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:39pm
@ impulse9, no problem boss, good luck

@ Dsnewb210, I think you have misunderstood something there, its only 3 steps you have to do.

evga has percision, but I can't say that its any simpler then 3 steps.

If you need help or have questions ask away
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 12:05am
Oh.. im sure i will have more then a few questions for you soon, appreciate the help btw.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 12:11am
NP let me know
jtspectra2 View Drop Down

Quote jtspectra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 5:10am
EVGA precision is idiot proof, 
Q9650 @ 4.2Ghz( Liquid Cooled), 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX280 SLI, VRaptor,HAF 932
 Post Reply Post Reply