FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yet Another Gaming Rig - Few Qs

Post Date: 2015-11-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tampa_Gamer View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tampa_Gamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Yet Another Gaming Rig - Few Qs
    Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 6:04pm
This will be my first pre-built purchase since my Commodore 64, having built all my computers since. Finally realizing that while I enjoy building computers, kids and family time lost not worth hours spent tinkering and then subsequent self-customer support. Appreciate any pointers from the experts that help out on this forum.

Budget:
$3,500 - $4,500. Timing will be in the next two weeks so I can get it shipped out before the holidays set in.

Expectations: (two step)

Purchase Date - able to use ultra settings in upcoming late 2015/2016 games such as Fallout 4, Ark and others with 1 monitor (ASUS PA246Q) @ 1920x1200.

Future Expansion (12-18 months) - once price levels on 4k monitors decrease, add one more video card in SLI mode, 16 GB (2x8) more memory and replacement 4k monitor and still able to game in high/ultra territory. This is typically when I would wipe/reinstall as well.

I tend to build every 3 years, so all of my builds in the past have been passed down to family members and then eventually phased out after 10 years of service. We have a lot of fun with network games with all the kids so I expect the computers to at least have a life span of 5-7 years.

Usage:
Most intense use will be gaming first person shooters on a home LAN(work, strategy games, etc. not even taxing on current 2012 build)

Special Needs:
Ambient household temps around 75, with high humidity. Dust/doghair a concern with 2 large dogs. Noise NOT a concern.

Saved Ticket #: 1298116

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Questions (primarily from never buying pre-built before):

(1) In the next 2-3 weeks, is there any technology on the immediate horizon of being released that would have an effect on the chosen components that is worth holding off (e.g. Samsung 950)?

(2) Windows Home vs Professional - I do intent to wipe/reinstall at the 12-18 month mark. I saw articles that seemed to indicate that the Windows 10 Home doesn't like this unless you choose professional. Sounds false, but eager to have input.

(3) I would like the initial memory to be in 2x8 GB format to allow expansion at the 12-18 month mark for another 2x8 GB but did not see this option. I assume this is possible by adding a note at purchase time?

(4) Any problems with warranties if I wipe/reinstall/add memory/additional GPU down the line - do we receive Windows authorization code, etc. to permit this?

(5) I was tempted to get the Velox for the air flow - but was concerned that I didn't see dust covers (to avoid dog hair/dust), did I miss that or does that case not have dust filters?

(6) If I opted for the $35 tweaking OS services option, are we provided a list so that upon reinstall of the OS at the 12-18 month mark I can duplicate it again?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Tampa_Gamer - 02 Nov 2015 at 6:24pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 6:57pm
1) i like the Intel 750 over the Samsung 950 NVMe drive, it has better 4K random performance (for gamers and everyday users vs. workloads) and there are some thermal concerns with the Samsung drive as well.  there's always the new "shiny" just around the corner, but nothing i know of within reasonable reach that would change anything major inside (there are some nice new monitors being released for the holidays) the computer. 

2) 2 friends of mine that upgraded to Pro version from W7Pro versions have had zero problems and have more flexibility over update installation, which non Pro users have no control of.  it seems like i've heard more issues coming from Home version users, but that might just be a perception issue on my part.  i will be going with Pro version myself simply for the control over updates more than anything else. 

3) email Alex directly at: [email protected] he'll get you your answers fastest and he might not see this thread as fast as he would check his personal in box.  just from my personal experience, i advise people to get the ram kit capacity size they want up front.  i've had posting issues with some ram from different batches of the same make/model/etc. 

4)  Windows 10 is registered to the device, not your hard disk. Just install a new hard disk and reinstall Windows 10 and it will reactivate. 

You can also initiate a clean install by doing the following:

You can do a clean install by:

Press Windows key + i

Click Update and Security

Click Recovery

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started

Click Troubleshoot

Click Reset

5) Velox doesn't come with dust filters.  however, i'm a little worried with the Slade and your upgrade path when it comes to thermal performance.  an Apollo might be a better option for you.  it's a really good all-around case.  however, you can always run the case/cpu fans really high and not even hear it all that much in the 550D case.   

6) a question best answered by Alex.  Big%20Smile

Edited by db188 - 02 Nov 2015 at 6:59pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 11:29am
Hi Tampa_Gamer,

# 3 = Please request for 8GB memory modules on your special notes section at the bottom of the configurator. We'll take care of this. You can also email me for this request AFTER you have placed your order and I'll confirm with the team for you.

# 4 = There should be no issue with this. Worst case, you have to phone in to Microsoft to manually activate your OS.
NorrinRad View Drop Down

Quote NorrinRad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 1:27pm
Hi Tampa_Gamer, looks like we got some things in common. Same here for my first buy in a LONG time. I think (if memory serves me right) my first actual buy of a new system was with Gateway back in 1994 at the dawn of the pentium age of computing.

I had actually bought a commodore 64 back in the day as well ( I think my frind Eric bought it for, but I can't for the life of me remember how or where he got it ... might have been from a guy we both knew that worked at a radio shack...)

Anyways, I'm happy for you and think we've both got the luxury of kicking back and taking it easy on being in good hands where our builds are concerned.

very nice build, by the way. I plan on taking pics and everything to share with everyone here on the forums and hope you do too, will be interesting to see how everything goes for both of us.

As for all the previous posters' answers, they look like they gotcha' covered, can't think of anything else I would add. the ONLY thing I would add two cents on is the win 10 home-professional question you had.

I really don't think that's going to give you any issues, although Win 10 home itself has been problematic for me on this old rig I'm running, I've managed to overcome all issues.

As for your other question on the hardware side .... The whole M.2 and PCIe NVMe SSD drives have been making huge strides in just the past year (fwiw).

My experience on hardware (in general) is that there always seems to be something that comes out that I hadn't caught wind of, and would be nice to have, but certainly not anything game-breaking for my uses.

I think we'll both be in great shape in the immediate time and future-wise with our systems! Keep us updated, friend !

Quote Tampa_Gamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 5:37pm
db188 - appreciate the response and tips. One follow-up question, when you say you are concerned about the upgrade path thermals I take it you mean the case (not the Noctua 15) since you recommend the Apollo. I was also considering the newer Corsair Carbide Air 540 - any opinions pro/con on that one? I was also considering similar components but placed in a Hailstorm II level 2 start, however I don't think that chassis has dust filters either.

NorrinRad - appreciate your insight as well - thanks and good luck on your purchase as well. I am eager to hear how things go since you are going to be about 2 weeks ahead of me.

Alex - thanks for the quick reply. Do you have an answer to my questions #6 above?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 8:05pm
yeah, 2 strix cards in that particular case and any overclocking (cpu, gpu's) will make for quite a bit of heat.  it being a "closed case" and all; however, you can run the fans quite high w/o much noise escaping the case to compensate.  i know reviews put this case in the below average thermal performance range. 

to be quite honest there are other cases i'd rather build in: like the Cooler Master MasterCase 5 (highly configurable, 360mm 1.5" thick rad support, good price, good performance), or the Fractal Design Define S, these cases straddle the line between mid and full tower ATX. 

since you asked for my specific opinion about the Air 540: i think it could've been designed a little better.  it's wider than it needs to be.  it has some issues with the 5.25" mounting system (can't screw them in because of their orientation) and the chamber it and the psu occupies could've been designed better.  while the case cools well on air, the stock fans are loud.  you'll have to go aftermarket to truly optimize this case.  the clearance of the rear exhaust 140mm fan is tight (not all 140mm fans will fit).  forget about anything larger than a 120mm rad back there. 

it's a pretty easy case to build in.  lots of room, the 3.5" drives in the bottom of the primary chamber have SATA backplanes and are toolless.  i think the psu mount is also tooless.  all-in-all it's a good case, just not my taste.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 3:03am
In answer to your #6 question about a list of what they tweak in the OS, in the past DS hasn't said specifically what they remove.   It's an in-house procedure they keep to themselves, or has been from past experience. Of course, DS can only answer this 100%. I wouldn't select it myself.

The Air540... I agree with db's assessment of it, specifically the design of the seperate psu chamber.   I happen to like the case, it's size, shape and air cooling both very good and just different.   For what DS offers, without going a special order route, it's one of my favorites right now.   I say "right now", because I also like the Apollo 760t, kinda like my ODE600t.   The Velox has great cooling but the mobo orientation, right side window and psu mounted with logo upside down knocks it down a notch.   

The Bolt is a nice design, especially since they made it adaptable to other than rack mount size psu, but is limited to single card which is OK with me. A little tight but that doesn't bother me.

Just my random thoughts.

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Nov 2015 at 3:21am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 12:27pm
#6 = Sorry we don't provide the list. It's done at the image level. If you would like, the team can walk you through the process if you never need it.

Quote Tampa_Gamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:50pm
Thanks again for everyone's comments/feedbacks. Pulled the trigger tonight (earlier than expected due to concerns about parts availability over the next 6 weeks).

The only two items I changed were (1) the case (to the Velox even though it doesn't have dust covers), and (2) added the OS tweaks now that I know upon clean/wipe customer support will assist.

My only concern during the ordering process was that once I entered my two special comments at the bottom in the configuration screen (regarding my memory & GPU configuration placement on the board), I never saw them again on the order form, invoice or subsequent feedback e-mails. I think it would help to add the notes to the end of the invoice or at least in the confirmation e-mail to make a record and let the customer know the comments were received.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Tampa_Gamer

My only concern during the ordering process was that once I entered my two special comments at the bottom in the configuration screen (regarding my memory & GPU configuration placement on the board), I never saw them again on the order form, invoice or subsequent feedback e-mails. I think it would help to add the notes to the end of the invoice or at least in the confirmation e-mail to make a record and let the customer know the comments were received.

Email this concern directly to [email protected]... I'm sure it's already noted, but having Alex take a special look into it is worth the peace of mind.

congrats and welcome to the family.

Quote Tampa_Gamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 10:35am
Just wanted to report back in case it helps others thinking about similar builds, I received an e-mail from DS shortly after I placed the order yesterday. They had already reviewed my build and as a result I needed to make two modifications to the above build: (1) the Velox is out of stock until early December so instead of waiting I opted for db188's suggestion - the Apollo; and (2) apparently the Noctua NH-D15 is not enough for Stage 2 overclocking so I upgraded to the Corsair H100iGTX 240mm.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 11:20am
Hi Tampa_Gamer,

We have your special requests noted, I understand they do not show up in the invoice, we'll try to see if we can change that.
 Post Reply Post Reply