FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Aventum Delay

Post Date: 2020-02-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Another Aventum Delay
    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:05pm
Hey all,

So I ordered an Aventum on December 6th and over the last few weeks I’ve been feeling my hype deflate more and more, as I’ve been getting the run around with regards to my shipping date after initially expressing concerns that my build hadn’t even updated beyond stage 1.

Shortly after calling the first time my build moved to phase 2, and I was happy to see some progress again, and I believe it was some time around then that I heard that my build was just about ready to be built but they were just missing the power supply.

Afterwards I kept checking back about once a week to check on timeframe updates and was initially told sometime between January 21st to 27th, then again bumped to probably around the 31st, and then today everything hit rock bottom.

So this whole time I’ve been told I’ve only been awaiting the PSU and today I find out that the Aventum water block is also not in stock, mind you that I’m in stage 4 where all parts are supposed to be accounted for and final assembly is happening, and they don’t even have a time frame on the arrival for this part, and my computer won’t even exit the stage 4 time frame and begin testing until this arrives. I am absolutely deflated, as my current PC just chugs during video editing and other tasks and I had been ramping up plans to work on some personal projects and my new YouTube channel with an especially important deadline of the week before February 20th.

I understand I ordered during a very busy time for Digital Storm, but a little —accurate— communication would have gone so far to at least allow me to plan accordingly. I feel like I was lied to about just waiting on the PSU only to find that the water block was also out of stock and now they can’t even give any sort of estimates or definitive timeline. I’m now a few weeks out from some very important timelines which are mostly just very important personal goals, but I also have people counting on seeing my progress by this point, and I have no backup plans and plans months in the making are at risk of being impossible to meet.

I feel defeated, and don’t even know how to approach this at this point. All i could be offered on the phone for this complete destruction of all expectations was an apology, and I feel like what was previously something bringing excitement and change to my life, has just become another source of abject frustration. Has anyone who ordered around the early December time frame gotten any other news of potential timelines? Where do we even go from here?

Sorry for the rant, I just feel like I need something more than just a simple apology. Some kind of timeline assurance or something would be better than this.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:38pm
Hi PTGSkowl,

I understand your concerns and frustration. Trust me, we would love to get your Aventum shipped as soon as possible so you can begin enjoying it.

Yes, the holidays have really made us behind schedule on orders, there have been huge backlogs... luckily we've been catching up quickly now and by the next 1-2 weeks in February we will be back to normal lead times.

We could have done a better job, every year we raise the bar with production outputs and getting things in order, however the holiday season was very, very busy for us.

The Aventum is tricky, there are so many parts that we stock and hold for this unit, it can be a logistical nightmare, and on top of that, imports from our suppliers have not been on time with all of the delays with tariffs and now with Asia holding shipments due to the Coronavirus as well.

That's our problem, not yours. I'm sorry for the delay, but I assure you that we're almost there and we will make sure to get your unit shipped ASAP.

I've spoken with the team and your order is part of a huge production run of Aventum builds that will be shipping within the next couple of days. I'm currently told we will have your order shipped by Friday next week (February 14th).

Feel free to reach me directly, happy to be a direct point of contact for you ([email protected]).

The wait is almost over. I promise.
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 9:40pm
Hey Alex,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response.

I do greatly look forward to that ship date, but I do so with some hesitation as Steven(sp?) on the phone seemed to think there was no way to predict the timeline, and I’ve been burned a couple times already.

If I could offer a suggestion for your future customers in this situation, it would be to either refrain from telling them that they’re in stage 4 until all parts are truly in hand and it is truly in the final building stage, or specify in the description available that a build may progress into stage 4 if a part is still on backorder, so that the build may be finished in as timely a manner as possible.

Anyways, I am really looking forward to finally having the rig here so I can begin these projects, and hopefully we won’t have much longer to wait.

Thanks again for your reply.

Originally posted by Alex

Hi PTGSkowl,

I understand your concerns and frustration. Trust me, we would love to get your Aventum shipped as soon as possible so you can begin enjoying it.

Yes, the holidays have really made us behind schedule on orders, there have been huge backlogs... luckily we've been catching up quickly now and by the next 1-2 weeks in February we will be back to normal lead times.

We could have done a better job, every year we raise the bar with production outputs and getting things in order, however the holiday season was very, very busy for us.

The Aventum is tricky, there are so many parts that we stock and hold for this unit, it can be a logistical nightmare, and on top of that, imports from our suppliers have not been on time with all of the delays with tariffs and now with Asia holding shipments due to the Coronavirus as well.

That's our problem, not yours. I'm sorry for the delay, but I assure you that we're almost there and we will make sure to get your unit shipped ASAP.

I've spoken with the team and your order is part of a huge production run of Aventum builds that will be shipping within the next couple of days. I'm currently told we will have your order shipped by Friday next week (February 14th).

Feel free to reach me directly, happy to be a direct point of contact for you ([email protected]).

The wait is almost over. I promise.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 4:46pm
I understand, and I will share your suggestion with our team. We're listening and learning so we can improve for our customers.

I have a little more internal knowledge than some of our phone staff so I can give you more assurance.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 4:25am
Originally posted by Alex

I have a great deal more internal knowledge than some of our phone staff so I can give you more assurance.
There ya go, Alex... FTFY.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 5:20am
Churmaeva View Drop Down

Quote Churmaeva Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 6:25pm
I feel your pain. Bought a custom one myself on December 27th and was told it would be finished Jan 24th then again on Feb 10th, but I too am still stuck on Stage four waiting for a water block. Trying my best to be patient, but after closing in on almost a 2 month wait it’s becoming very hard... especially since I don’t currently own a pc to occupy my wait time. I’m sure the wait will be worth it in the end... I hope.
SkyTech View Drop Down

Quote SkyTech Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:42pm
Seems to be normal with the delays at DS, ordered mine back in December also, and still waiting, very disappointing. Was very excited for it but I really don't care anymore because the excitement is gone
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:59pm
Moved up to stage 5 today. Here’s hoping we’re crunching at this point and still hitting the shipping estimate of this Friday.

Fingers are crossed.
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:32pm
Random delayed double post.

Edited by PTGSkowl - 14 Feb 2020 at 6:20pm
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:19pm
Up to stage 7. From what I gather the freight orders all ship out on Fridays right? I guess now is the moment of truth!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 4:40am
Believe so, yes.
DigitalBaconDesign View Drop Down

Quote DigitalBaconDesign Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by SkyTech

Seems to be normal with the delays at DS, ordered mine back in December also, and still waiting, very disappointing. Was very excited for it but I really don't care anymore because the excitement is gone

Same. Ordered Dec. 11th and I'm still waiting.
DigitalBaconDesign on the web
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 7:59pm
So, I got my rig today. It's beautiful as expected, but immediately after my first boot I began experiencing issues. It began with me dealing with infinite please-wait screens for about an hour, (Windows' fault, not Digital Storm's). But now, literally everything I throw at this rig crashes within a minute or so, I don't know if this is a Ryzen 3950x issue, or if this is because we rushed through the stability testing window due to the huge back-order wait. Right now I'm wondering what happened, wondering if this is a problem I can even solve myself here at home, and wondering if I just wasted my time?

If I can solve this I can tell the rig will be amazing, but right now I'm just exasperated at the number of little hang ups that have come up and it seems that tech support is closed for the weekend.

Anyone have any solutions to constant crashing? Low hanging fruit to check that might at least make the rig usable for now?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 5:21am
You could open her up and check everything that plugs into a slot for correct seating. Due to all that weight, anytime the pallet leaves the ground for any reason at all, it tends to come back down hard.

Be very sure the power cord is unplugged. Then press the start up button for 5 seconds to discharge any capacitors that may still be juiced. Ground yourself on the metal case before entering. Hopefully, you'll find something that way. If not, you could try powering up with one RAM stick at time. One faulty RAM stick could cause this.

Sorry for your trouble. Our sympathies are with you
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 8:52am
Back at it again this morning. I decided to undo some of the MSI afterburner changes I made last night despite finding some semblance of system stability. This way I could bring it back as close to default as I could, and try some of the recommendations I found here, just in case these OC numbers I've got by default could work (they were pretty unrealistically high from what brief researching I've done so far). Still ran into hangs with any games I attempted to throw at it so I'm back to fiddling with afterburner. So the first thing I tried to regain system stability after a temporary CPU underclock didn't seem to affect anything; I dropped the core clock and memory boost by a quarter each and suddenly the system is stable. For reference, the initially set GPU core clock for this 2080ti (closed loop liquid cooling) was +200 MHz and +100 memory clock on 120% power and 88c max temp. First stable setup was at 110% power, +171 core clock, +71 memory clock, and 86 degrees max temp. These were before I learned to use the arrow keys for more incremental adjustments >.<. Now I'm running an afterburner OC Scan to see what kind of numbers it gives me and I'll take whatever conservative OC I can get for now so I can get to work on some of my other projects.

I've gotta admit I'm curious what stability testing was performed prior to shipping the rig, as literally no game I had thrown at it would remain stable, and the GPU core clock and memory clock were both quite a bit above the averages I've found amongst various 2080ti overclocking articles/sights/discussions.

Still wondering if I'm missing something because I'm by no means a pro at overclocking a PC, but the more this thing works, the bigger my smile gets, and I'm just hoping this trend towards stability continues.

::Edit:: Terrible early morning stream-of-consciousness grammar. Cleaned it up a bit.

Edited by PTGSkowl - 22 Feb 2020 at 9:17am
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:21am
Can I rave a bit about how quiet this thing is? I used to have an Origin PC Genesis tower. and I felt like I was always sitting beside a vaccuum cleaner eating a Shi Tsu. Don't get me wrong the Aventum X isn't silent, but for the power its boasting it might as well be. It's certainly more quiet than my previous PC.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:19am

AwesomeYes, for the amount of fans and size the beast is pretty quiet, isn't it? I had an Overdrive PC (no longer alive and the company was swallowed by another) which sounded like a fleet of drones in formation. lol

Looks like you have your situation pretty much under control.  Enjoy.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 4:41am

You know, I've got some hours under my belt on this forum, and your finding is the very first time I've encountered a report of an overly ambitious overclock.

First of all, great catch! Second, I wonder right along with you what the heck...? Perhaps you could contribute to our overall knowledge base by inquiring of Alex. They have all the data on every build, and even take photos of each rig before they go out the door.
PTGSkowl View Drop Down

Quote PTGSkowl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Yesterday at 12:31pm
Hey that’s great to hear. I’m glad they’ve been stable for people previously and I’m sure they’ll continue to be.

Now that it’s been solved it’s a relative non-issue, I just feel like I could’ve saved a few bucks if I’d know I’d have to go back and do the gpu overclocking myself, but it’s not really about that. I don’t really care about the answer as much as the why behind it( an admitted personal hang up).

My only real lingering question is this: I wonder if there had been some settings in MSI afterburner or other tuning software that I screwed up when I had to use the system restore USB due to the initial issues I had with updating windows.

I’d hate to think I might limited this rigs potential performance before I got to see what it was truly capable of, all because of a windows update. I’d almost feel better knowing someone just rushed it out the door and this is what this computer is capable of when correctly OC’ed.

After all of that though, and now that it’s running smoothly; I’m in love with the new rig and glad all of the waiting is behind me.

Edited by PTGSkowl - Yesterday at 12:32pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Today at 6:07am
Second that.
 Post Reply Post Reply