Better build?

Post Date: 2010-06-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bullseye View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Better build?
    Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 12:20pm
Yo guys which build is better:

Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:24pm
Obviously the second one hands down has the better parts selection in almost every regard. But both have a lot of bad choices.

The SSD selection in the second one is a piece of crap. Select either the 80GB or 160GB Intel SSD instead, they are vastly faster and much more maintenance free.

I can't see the logic in 3x SLI 470s, while 2x SLI 480s would probably be better in most any way. What resolution are you even running anyway? Unless you are running 2560x1600 then you only need one single 480 and it would be a waste of money to get anything more. On that same note, LCing the GPUs is a massive waste of money.

You have upgraded case fans selected. While they are a perfectly viable option for looks and increased air flow, know that they are much louder than stock fans. So make sure you are okay with loud fans if you pick that option.

If you are concerned about the Special Deal section's limited warranty compared to the full Black|OPS Platinum warrant, then I'd highly suggest the 4 year limited warranty option in the Special Deal section for a good compromise. The 4 year limited warranty is 4 years on labor and 2 years on parts, an increase from default of 3 years labor and 1 year parts. A good deal for $99.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 2:32pm
The fans are just for looks and as for the 3x I want it to bee good for a while. And I chose Black Ops so it can have LC.
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 4:13pm
3x 480 is pointless unless u got the monitors to support it. You want it to run good for a while, then 480 in sli would be just fine. And that also depends on your res, if ur res is just a 1900x1200 then u should just stick to 1 480 and not waste the extra cash. Sli 480 will take almost anything u give it basically so no need for 3x 480 unless like i said u got the monitors/res for it. The zalman fans won't just be for looks cause they'll anoy the hell outa u sooner or later. Just go with stock fans or custum order some other ones that's quieter with a high cfm

Edited by Mr. - 04 Jun 2010 at 4:33pm
Mr.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 4:52pm
Ok so what do you suggest for something with a higher cfm?? So instead of a 3x 480 I will get a 2x. I just want this to allow myself to play Crysis on max settings
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:25pm
To play crysis on max setting depends on your res. Im pretty sure a single 480 would handle crysis at max settings on a 1900x1200, correct me if im wrong. Im not too familiar with fan types so u should wait for d4st or justin to answer that question. But the case fan for the haf X is very good already so you wouldnt rly need to worry about them anyways as most people dont. 
Mr.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:39pm
Oh ok. I just want 2 480's to run other games for the next 3 years that's why. Do I need more than 6gb ram?
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:53pm
Nope 6G at 1600 would run just fine. i found out u need 2 480's to max crysis so sli is good

Edited by Mr. - 04 Jun 2010 at 6:19pm
Mr.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 6:23pm
you can't max out crysis guys, Bullseye, you will have much better performance and gpu power, if you go with a 480 now and then in 2 years or so bought a new gpu, but its up to you.

what is the res suppose to be?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:07pm
I can.. Embarrassed
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 11:09pm

i bet we see crysis on fps benchmarks in another 2 years because if it ever happens, benchmarkers will be so happy to see that beast go down

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:57am
Originally posted by justin.kerr

I can.. Embarrassed

not all the way thru, if I remember correctly your minimum was around 30 fps, and you said it fluctuated a lot, but you have done something I had not seen before, I'll give you that for sure
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 5:11am
My res is 1900x1200. What can further improve the performance of the computer?? And can you guys suggest some fans I could use with low CFM?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 11:38am
You mean high CFM (cubic feet/minute, volume of airflow)

Tracked down this post from 2Cigars: (Sorry, can't seem to get that whole "quoted by" thing into my post):

I am good with most hardware, but Fans I am not. I was actually doing some research earlier today. Found this nifty chart [downsized for 56k Evil%20Smile]:

http://www.xbitlabs.com 120mm - 140mm Fan Roundup Graph

Full Article HERE - xbitlabs - Fan Roundup
Long story short, these results show a very strong perfomance by DST4ME's favorite Scythe Gentle Typhoon model. They are about 1/3 of the way down, so they obviously don't move the most air, but for the air they do move, they are quieter than any other.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:06pm
i thought i posted this last night, guess it got deleted, wierd

either way wow thank you for that fan list thats an amazing reference
i was thinking of hooking 2 ultra kazes on the noctua stage one but that maru is looking really good based on those stats

its a shame that is from 6/2/09, i hope they do another one soon
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Originally posted by justin.kerr

I can.. Embarrassed

not all the way thru, if I remember correctly your minimum was around 30 fps, and you said it fluctuated a lot, but you have done something I had not seen before, I'll give you that for sure
Minimum is actually very close to 40.. 38-39FPS, and that is for a split second, Unmodded, I am only using 70%-72% of GPU power, so if I mod Crysis to use 100% of my GPU power, then things change quite a bit. but I don't think it is fair to post modded .exe  files on a benchmark without telling peolple. lol
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:40pm
So I can ask for Kazes and Ds will order them?? How many can fit on a HAF X??
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:55pm
why on earth would you want the Kazes?? even with headphones on you still would hear them..
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:56pm
also, are you talking case fans or radiator fans,, that choice will drastically change what fans you want.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 1:31pm
LOL ok justin you didn't tell us all that info about crysis on the other thread, so if that is what you got going on that I guess you are maxing it but it is moded tho but who cares, IMO its better to mod then

Bullseye you have to match your fans for the rad with the rad, in other words, first you need to find out what rad you are getting, second find out if that rad works best with high cfm or low cfm fans, then once you find out which you need then you can go look for that kind of fan, for low cfm fans gentle typhoon is a good fan for rads that work best with that kind of fans.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 1:44pm
no, I did not post modded Crysis, if I mod a program, I will say it when I post results.. I don't like to distort numbers. Like on AvP benchmark, you need to mod it to use multi cards, but I still would post the fact that I modded. lol

Kazes are not very good fans for any radiator. If you want 38mm fans go with some panflows, I can not belive how much better they are on radiators than the Kazes.. the Panflows replaced my Kazes on my test bench.. which blows so much air, it will lift up a girls skirt... lol not going to post that video . Smile
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 2:25pm
Um I am getting NH-D14 with single 480 so I can upgrade it in the future. I think I will need case fans right? I mean when you guys say Rads you mean the ones for LC?? Well I amn't getting LC...
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 10:05pm
but don't go with something crazy.. super loud fans will drive you nuts.  the standard case fans will be fine.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 11:31pm
not everyone has the same opinions about noise. the fans on my pc are "loud" to other people, but it doesnt bother me at all, i get amazing temps, and i definitely cant hear them or anything else through my headphones
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 11:53pm
But you are not running the fans he was talking about... the next door neighbors could here them. lol
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:51am
true but my slipstream is rated at 37dba, pretty sure the kaze is about 45, not that different

again, not saying that isnt loud, bc obviously it is, just saying some may not be as bothered by the sound as you are
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:33am
So what would be some good fans 4 me?? If I get a stage 6 LC and 1 480 and then I wait till there are new cards will I be able to take the card out of the LC and put a new one in LC??

If so I could invest in cooling and then get new cards in the future
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:33am
yes you would be able to swap in a card, but its not something i've done, so as far as how hard and involved it would be... and on what fan you should use with your LC, id talk to dso/justin/dst
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:56am
i amn't sure I wanna use it as it will cost 4000 dollars whereas the special deals one only costs 2700...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:27pm
Bullseye, you're getting all caught up in issues that you should really not be overly concerned about. Think back... how many post have you seen to the effect that LC is a luxury type item or for very serious overclockers who know from their own knowledge and experience what they are doing? How many times have you heard knowledgable people say that stock cooling on the high airflow cases and even the hot-ruuning gpu's is adequate to do the job? The only consistent cooling upgrade that is agreed upon is to the cpu, and primarily because it is the part that virtually everyone here overclocks.

Is cooler better? Of course it is. Do you need to obsess over it, no. The stock fans on cases such as the HAFs, the Sniper and likely the Assassin are specifically designed to work well with those units. You go changing all kinds of things just because you can, who knows what you'll end up with? You could have fans that provide conflicting air currents that cancel each other out. My advice is to order the system you want to perform for you, and enjoy it. After awhile, if you feel like tinkering, read up, get some quiet fans and improve your airflow if you like. But know it's optional, not a necessity. 
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:30pm
Kk thanks dude I guess I'll go with frostbite for the cpu
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:35pm
This is what I am looking at now as well as my custom ordered fans which I still am looking for...

Ticket ID:412482
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 3:17pm
Don't mess with the case fans. As I said, they are especially designed to work with one another. Add on to your heart's content if you must.

What is the scheme you have in mind with a second SSD? If you want raid, it's in the wrong place, you need to pick 2X on HDD #1. If you want more SSD space, just pick the 160 at HDD #1. I can't think of a reason you'd want 2 except for raid.
Raid is not a good idea, BTW. You have 2X the devices, but if only one fails, you lose everything on both. If you've read the gazillion posts Dragoonseal has made, one 80 gb SSD is really all you need.

Otherwise, it's a good looking build. the HAF X is gonna be great!
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 2:16am
Can DS place the fans specially so that they don't mess with the airflow?? Those are gonna be all the cooling I'm gonna get because I am getting CPU cooling stage 4 not the NH-D14. So the only cooling my GPU is gonna get is from those fans which is why I need that upgrade. I also am gonna have it on 9 hours a day so... yeah I am probably gonna need those cooling upgrades.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 2:26am
Originally posted by Bullseye

This is what I am looking at now as well as my custom ordered fans which I still am looking for...

Ticket ID:412482

thats all wrong if you ask me.

get the le mobo.

your lighting needs to be the uv option, otherwise your tubes will not glow.

why do you have two 80GB ssds?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>