Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MaxLin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MaxLin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt 3 - Z170 vs x99
    Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:13am
Hey guys,
Recently got a 2k monitor, and that makes me really wanna change a new PC. I think I won't change another one after I change this. So.. Bolt 3 is really cool and I really LOVE that cooling system. But x99 chipset doesn't support that.

So do you have any good idea about this? Should I sacrifice the cooling system to get higher configuration? Will there be a huge difference between Z170 and X99? I mean in the next 2 years.

Thanks!

Budget:

Expectations:
Cooling System/6 core & x99 chipset

Usage:
High performance gaming

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Bolt 3
Exterior Finish: Black Brushed Aluminum Hairline Finish
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Acrylic
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 600W SilverStone SX600-G (Gold Plus Rated) (Supports up to GTX TITAN X)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (256GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm HydroLux PRO (CPU + Graphics Card) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Standard Black 120mm Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Internal + Front Panel RGB LED Lighting <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:24am
Unless you are doing professional video editing or are particular about benchmark scores, X99 won't give you anything over Z170. The only thing new you'll see in the next couple years are USB Type-C devices, which is supported on Z170, but not the ASRock X99 motherboard.
MaxLin View Drop Down

Quote MaxLin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:37am
Thanks for the advice! Actually I just wanna play game fluently as many as I can. Not fever in those scores.

Originally posted by 

Unless you are doing professional video editing or are particular about benchmark scores, X99 won't give you anything over Z170. The only thing new you'll see in the next couple years are USB Type-C devices, which is supported on Z170, but not the ASRock X99 motherboard.
Jimbostein View Drop Down

Quote Jimbostein Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 6:43pm
There's another thing to consider.

One of the biggest things directx12 is supposed to do is let all the cores on your graphics card talk to all the cores on your cpu at the same time, instead of 1 core at a time. Presumably, dx12 is supposed to make substantially more use out of multicore processors if the game is built for it.

While we don't see a big difference today between a 6700k and a 6800k, in the next 2-3 years we might see a huge increase in the use of multiple cores in all of our games.

I'm struggling with the same decision right now too...getting a 6850k (and of course x99) is $500 more than getting a 6700k and the appropriate mobo.

Is that $500 worth the cost of the faster ram standard and faster pci-e (2 cards running at 16x instead of 1 at 16x and the other at 8x), on the chance I might decide to get another gtx1080 in the future? Or that 6-cores will be of more use with dx12?

A quick Google search shows some results of dx12 and 6+ core cpus compared to quad-core.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039552/hardware/tested-how-many-cpu-cores-you-really-need-for-directx-12-gaming.html

The thing is, the game needs to be designed with this in mind. So a game that is meant for dx12 from the ground up will see these large improvements with a 6+ core computer....but a game designed for consoles and dx11 will see the same performance between a 6700k and 6800k.

Eventually, we'll probably see a shift towards Vulcan and dx12 games (because there's a lot of other cool stuff that also comes with designing for dx12).....wouldn't you rather have a computer capable of embracing these games?

Edited by Jimbostein - 01 Jun 2016 at 6:54pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:58pm
buy a Skylake proc with hyperthreading and you're good to go.  you can even disable hyperthreading if it ever works against you.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply