FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can a computer be too fast???

Post Date: 2015-01-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
txbrumley View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote txbrumley Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Can a computer be too fast???
    Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 11:59am
Probably not :)

After hours (and hours) of downloading game updates to DDO, GW2, and SWTOR, I've taken all the games out for a spin.

Holy crap, this thing is fast (gaming Slade level 3ish system).

Frame rates from DDO is a "you've got to be kidding" 275 FPS on average. SWTOR was locked at 60 until I noticed they had vertical sync enabled. I turned that off and up over 100 even on the normally laggy fleet station. GW2 I didn't notice the frame rate report from FRAPS but it felt wonderful.

All are at ultra high settings.

I'm not seeing any signs of overheating and my CPU load peaked in the low 30% according to HWMonitor. The GPU (GTX 980) used half it's frame buffer space and maxed out over 95% but I experienced no problems.

Ahem. What took me so long? Why didn't I get this computer sooner?

:)

I have to figure out how to determine when the overclocking kicks in, I gather it's dynamic, but that will wait. More installs and file moving here but I just had to post the experience.

Geekgasm!
Slade Gaming 2015
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 1:10pm
No, but if you have very high frame rates in a game, setting vsync will keep your video cards cooler IMO

As for seeing overclocking, I use Asus' AI utility on PCs with ASUS mobo. I am sure there are other options.

For seeing GPU speeds, I use EVGAs utility, but no idea if that works for non EVGA cards. There are other options here as well.

I think I would pay for a one stop program that could graph CPU speeds, GPU speeds and temps and possibly overlay them FRAPs style in games
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 1:41pm
Getting a computer that is too fast is about as likely as getting too rich.

Frank
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 2:10pm
+1
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 5:09pm
To be the stick in the mud, yes a computer can actually be too fast. Hahaha

Though to be fair the only place I've seen this is in older Macromedia Flash games, which run at about 20x the speed they were intended on newer computers. It was a limitation of the program itself as far as capping FPS. So developers designed a game with enough entities on the screen as to provide the proper amount of slowdown for the intended difficulty. When that version of Flash was superseded and processing power increased, those older games became essentially impossible because enemies/etc. would move at over 300fps.

/unrelated ramble. Big%20Smile

Glad you are enjoying your rig! Awesome
txbrumley View Drop Down

Quote txbrumley Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:33pm
When I was checking out some QuickBasic implementations on Linux they were all too fast for such things on my 6+ year old MacBook Pro. They added a command in QB64, I forget its exact name, to limit the number of times a loop would execute per second for just this contingency.

My wife has been giving me the evil eye as sometimes our wifi router is saturated and her iPad keeps disconnecting. This baby will suck data down faster than my connection can deliver it.
Slade Gaming 2015
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 8:46am
Maybe you could use that as an excuse to get more data Cool
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 11:52am
I was reminded of Test Drive 2, I think it was. It was written for whatever CPU speeds existed back then. Totally unplayable some years later on faster CPUs. I assume there were a lot of games like that, that forgot to control movement speeds with a clock based timer.
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
txbrumley View Drop Down

Quote txbrumley Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 11:55am
Us programmers don't fix bugs and design flaws until we need to, it provides job security ;)

I do plan on moving my internet connection to where I'm setting up this rig and plugging directly into the router instead of using the wireless. From everything I see so far, my limiting factor is going to be internet speed. At least for a few years yet ;)
Slade Gaming 2015
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by txbrumley

Us programmers don't fix bugs and design flaws until we need to, it provides job security ;)

I do plan on moving my internet connection to where I'm setting up this rig and plugging directly into the router instead of using the wireless. From everything I see so far, my limiting factor is going to be internet speed. At least for a few years yet ;)

Excellent code design also providers for good job security, too

Until Google Fiber or an equivalent comes into your area internet speed is usually the limiting factor.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 3:39pm
As a longtime software engineer, I always say. Don't comment your code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

And it's not a bug, it's a feature

That covers most problems ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply