Post Date: 2010-08-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nesky View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Concern regarding a build~
    Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 8:37pm
I plan on ordering this build in 2 weeks or so, however I had a concern or two I'd like some input on. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

1 - Given that the GPUs will be overclocked, do you think it's possible that the CPU will be bottlenecked given the load of 3 GTX 480s?

2 - Taking into consideration the maximum resolution of the monitor, Tri-Sli wouldn't be at its full potential. Is this something that could be remedied possibly by a driver update in the future from Nvid?

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - EXOTIC StormWhite High-Gloss Automotive Paint Finish (HailStorm Chassis Only)
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (2TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: Killer 2100 (Maximum Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (PhysX Tech.) (EVGA SuperClocked+ 015-P3-1485-AR)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Triple SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Chassis Mods: HailStorm & 950Si: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Holes
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock the processor between 4.2GHz to 4.4GHz (Requires i7 980X Processor)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Display: !PROMO BUNDLE: NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit (Asus 23 inch 120Hz VG236H + NVIDIA 3D Glasses)
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 9:14pm
omg where to start....

1 what resolution are you running that you would need 3x 480?! ocing a gpu is not like a cpu where you get 70-90% bonus, it is 7-10% (2-4 fps) this is something that creates a lot of heat for little gain. this is more for people who need it if they can't afford the next up gpu.

2 you can do a tri monitor set up with 2x nvidia cards, and as far as i know driver updates make things run more efficiently and not give more of a umph

you are wasting your money on the 980 unless you are doing things liek heavy 3d animation, medical research, video editing, and folding. you can get a 930 on a 120 mm dual fan noc cooler to 4.0. if your gaming all you need is 3.89. most things can only utilize 2.5 cores right, now few can use 4 and only a handful can use 6.

this is why you don't want sata3
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=11583

12gb lowers your max oc and it is only needed if your doing extreme multitasking on c7 for ex

1200 watts is not enough for 3x 480 they take 600 watts each roughly

high density drives like the 2tb have higher drive failure rates your better off choosing multi 1tbs you can have up to 5 hdd/ssd on that case

the killer is a bogus product and a waste of money, lag is derived from your isp, if you have lag choose a server closer to home or get better int.

with the lc system the case mods are a waste and redundant

noise suppression changes the airflow of the case and can actually block fans thus trapping heat as well as noise in. 90% of the noise comes from your gpu with lc they will be quieter but you will have the noise of the rads.

stage 3 oc is waste ofo money and like i said above about the 980 those are the only things you would need over 4.0 ghz for. for games 3.89 is all you will need anythign else you wont notice.

i already covered the video card oc

the os boost you wont notice, also if you need something re-enabled you ened to know hoe to do it for call ds, better off with ou it or tweaking on your own

good you chose the memory fan kit since with lc cooling you don't get the ecess air from the air cooler covering the ram which sits next to the cpu. also that case is meant for full lc and does not have great airflow, getting the fan kit allows you not to spend the money on the chipset cooling

get your monitors and accessories somewhere else.. you will pay individual shipping and dso''s premium for them.

after we get your resolution, use of computer and budget we will build one for you that wont involve massive overkill. i just love with when people come up with 8-10k builds and have no need for them, enough from me for now before i blow a fuse

Edited by Raif - 13 Aug 2010 at 9:41pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
Nesky View Drop Down

Quote Nesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 10:11pm
Disregard the os boost, I would have mentioned that among other things in the initial post however I ran out of room. The 2TB HDDs will be in raid 1 config, I'm requesting that. Also I won't boost the os.

I did some research, the cards run at 300w or so on full load, not 600 so 1200w is fine. Noise reduction I can remove. Regarding the 12GB, I didn't know that and i'll look further into it in b/c of what you've noted.

The maximum resolution of the monitor is 1920x1080. At any rate my main concern was whether or not i'd run into a bottleneck on the processor. However if there are any other "major" compatibility/collision issues feel free to mention them. I'll give that link you posted a look as well.

thanks again~

justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 11:18pm
yes the GTX 480's pull around 300 watts each, your CPU,, fans, ect will pull  will pull 250 watts, and you want your total power draw to be around 70% of your power supplies max rating.
 Post Reply Post Reply