Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
computergeek8 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote computergeek8 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config review plz
    Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 7:49am
my build is 456156

I really need some advice on it, biggest question if the 60$ saved going to the 6gb 2000mhz is worth i instead of the 12gb 1600mhz
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 8:18am
Or.. you could just go with the original selection of 6GB of 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified memory to save a few hundred? Unless you do video editing with some really huge files or something you'll never be able to even tap all of 6GB, and even then only with a specific media editing application or two.

If this is a gaming rig, the extra memory will not give you any higher FPS, nor will faster memory. Think of memory as being there to feed the CPU data, once you get to the sweet spot of being able to keep up with the CPU then additional speed is largely wasted and you'll get extremely little gains from it. This coupled with drastically higher memory prices once you get out of the sweet spots means don't bother, the money is better spent elsewhere on the rig.

Drop down to the HAF 932, almost the same size and the same or better air flow (larger fans than the 942), and is $42 cheaper. Drop the 950 down to the 920 while they still have some in stock, same chip, they overclock the same, you save another $64. Conveniently that exactly enough to bump up the GPU to the new 580 selection for +$105 if you want.

That motherboard is old, overpriced, and kind of crappy. I'd suggest the EVGA x58 SLI 3 but it is on backorder. The ASUS Sabertooth makes a good replacement though.

Drop the free OS tweak. The disabled services or visual effects are not even a blip on the radar of an overclocked 920/950 processor and you can easily miss out on helpful or nice looking things by disabling them. Better to just tweak the OS to your preferences on your own.

Don't forget the free t-shirt and 4 year warranty upgrade selections.

Culmination of those suggestions: Ticket #456160
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 10:11am
What He said!
 Post Reply Post Reply