FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Config Review

Post Date: 2010-11-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ndb1784 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ndb1784 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config Review
    Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 3:59pm
Budget:
$2,300 for computer only. I already have everything else.

Expectations:
I'm looking for a gaming PC that will run all of the current gen games at maximum graphics settings while maintaining high FPS rates. I would like the computer to last for about 4 years (I will upgrade various items as necessary).

Usage:
100% gaming.

Special Needs:
No special needs.

Saved Ticket #: 461098

I read through ender's recommendations so I tried to adjust my build around that. Please let me know if there is something I can improve on or if I am over buying on something.

I appreciate any help.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 7:00pm
id advise against that case, it may not even fit a u12p or a fermi card, its itty bitty

for 100% gaming, there is better use of cash than a solid state drive, or a p6 board

id do this:
still $200 under budget, you could throw the solid state back in there if you wanted to.. or you could start your 2nd 580 savings account
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 7:21pm
i would go with that and add a sound card.
you could even go down to a i7 8xx cpu or a i5 probably.

oh and change the psu to 750w (why 1200w ender?)

lol i edited this post like 10x
i see why ender put 1200w yea sli would be a good use of extra money. you could even use 3 monitors and game on all of those at once if you wanted.

Edited by maxyme - 24 Nov 2010 at 7:24pm
Steam:pcmaster160
ndb1784 View Drop Down

Quote ndb1784 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 11:11pm
I was considering the SSD for just my OS and whatever small amount of MS Office stuff I do end up doing (which is very minimal). Would I notice that much of a difference if I only use the SS for that sort of stuff? Is it worth the money?

As for the dual 580's, is this really worth it in the long run? I guess I've always had a hard time with putting two identical pieces of rapidly depreciating technology in my computer. Would I be better off saving the money and when need be just upgrading to a new gen video card when necessary?

I've never had dual video cards so I've never really seen how much of a difference this can make.

I really appreciate the help.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 11:23pm
well the ssd would only speed up when it loads levels in games ect. i guess it would speed up starting programs like opening word but probably wouldn't be worth the cost for you.

edit: sorry forgot to answer about sli

personally i don't know why someone would go with sli unless they are using nvidia surround to game on 3 screens at once.
well if you do sli with a gtx 470 it will be better than a single 480 but the 480/580 is like the top of the line right now it is great with every game. I think it would be better to use a single one and just upgrade it in the future if you are going to be using the flagship card on a single monitor.

Oh and its always more cost effective to go with a single card over sli. (paraphrase from ender's guide)

Edited by maxyme - 24 Nov 2010 at 11:32pm
Steam:pcmaster160
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 12:14am
thats true it is always more cost effective with a single
however, sadly, the software demand is far ahead of the hardware right now, so the reason for SLI is to pack all the gaming power possible into a budget, dont think of it like doubling up on aging power, think of it as this is how much you spend for video power now
sad but true, most people come on here and want maximum power in games, video is the gaming bottleneck so thats where you stack the power if its in the budget
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:21am
My current rig has 2 7800gt vid cards in SLI. I've had a few problems with it over the years with various games. It took several years of video driver upgrades before it would work with Dark Ages of Camelot in SLI mode. I have never been able to use SLI in Fallout 3 or now with Fallout New Vegas. I've played other games with similar issues. I am reluctant to buy a new machine with SLI or Crossfire now. Perhaps if I'd been less ignorant of these matters I'd have found solutions quicker. Bottom line is I'd suggest anyone thinking of SLI or Crossfire should check the games they intend to play for compatibility with SLI/Crossfire mode.
 Post Reply Post Reply