FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuration comparison and a question

Post Date: 2010-11-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stonevulture View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stonevulture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration comparison and a question
    Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 10:10am
Hi everybody -

I'm about to purchase my 2nd Digital Storm desktop, and I was wondering a bit about how to evaluate these two builds.

The first is $2021 (an Ender build plus a solid-state drive):  http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=455371

The second is $1823:  http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=455368

The second build has a smaller case, a slightly slower processor, a different motherboard, and 4GB of RAM instead of 6GB.  I'd like to save the $200 (and it seems like I'm giving up very little to do so), but I don't want to make a stupid choice that will impact the performance or long-term health of the machine.

My needs:
* 75% Gaming (Shooters + WoW), 15% office/productivity/web browsing, 5% digital photo editing, 5% video encoding
* Will not need to play/view anything in higher than 1920x1080 resolution

Also, my question - I see nVidia announced a price point for the GeForce GTX 580 today (and it's the same list price as the 480 has been).  I assume this means that the 480 will drop in price - when do we expect this will be reflected in the Digital Storm configurator?  I'm not looking to get a 580, but I'm not going to order a 480 until the price drop has been figured in.

Stonevulture View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Stonevulture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 3:41pm
Ok - forget the price differential due to the 580 launch... I'm mostly just interested in two things:

1) The difference between the HAF932 and HAF922 - since I'm planning to get the Noctua dual 120mm fans either way, is there a significant airflow advantage to the 932 or is the difference just more room to support drive bays/internal components?

2) If the EVGA X58 SLI 3 motherboard is truly backordered, what would be another acceptable motherboard in that configuration?  I'm comfortable with my understanding of the tradeoffs of the other components, but I am absolutely 100% clueless when it comes to the relative merits/disadvantages of motherboards and really need some help to understand what else I can pick if I don't want to wait for the X56 SLI 3.

Harrigan View Drop Down

Quote Harrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 5:15pm
I'm pretty sure the 580 launch prices have already been reflected in the config editor, if you had a config saved BEFORE the 580 was added the price will go down if you re-select the same card from the list. At least that's how my saved config is working.

The HAF932 is known to have markedly better airflow as opposed to the 922 (the 932 also has a fan in the side window that the 922 does not). I'm actually using the money I save by getting a GTX470 to upgrade my case from 922 to 932.

Ender or Dragoon will have to help you on the mobo choice Smile my knowledge is limited to what I have picked up from looking around these forums.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:32am
Here is what I would recommend:
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=455728  ($1958)

Performance comparison between 2x6870 in CrossFire and the GTX480.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6870_CrossFire/3.html (more game comparisons at the bottom)

Edited by venom - 10 Nov 2010 at 12:33am
AmbientChong11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Harrigan

The HAF932 is known to have markedly better airflow as opposed to the 922 (the 932 also has a fan in the side window that the 922 does not).

The 922 can have a 220mm side fan or 2 x 120mm fans - these are optional I think though and not out-of-the-box. What it doesn't have to the 932 is the side window.

Edited by AmbientChong11 - 10 Nov 2010 at 12:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply