FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DS Triton Review

Post Date: 2017-06-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sogeking View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sogeking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DS Triton Review
    Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:44am
2010 I bought my first laptop, the ASUS G73JH-A1.
After my brother spilled milk in it in 2012, I bought the Digital Storm x17.
After that laptop had GPU issues starting in 2015, I bought the Digital Storm Triton, June of 2016.
Despite my wariness towards GPU issues with DS laptops, they perform like champions and I could not be more proud to be a Digital Storm customer. I've never owned a desktop computer and I don't see that changing, so I want to thank Digital Storm for creating these elegantly packaged beasts.

About the graphics issues, for the x17 I ordered IC Diamond thermal compound, and I believe that was my mistake. I've since read studies for IC Diamond that shows the product can gouge/score the heat spreader. I had had multiple system crashes while running ESO on max settings. Eventually, green vertical lines started appearing on the screen. I replaced the IC Diamond with Arctic Silver, but I got tired of the crashes and figured 4 years was a good run, so I gave the x17 to my brother and moved up to the Triton.

pics of the x17 GPU
IC Diamond
IC Diamond Damages
IC Diamond Damages 2

The Triton's graphic issues do not seem to be heat related as they only appear occasionally on boot up, and not while the CPU/GPU is stressed. Starting when the Windows 10 loading circle appears, the lower third of the screen distorts such that it looks like it's simulating water waves. It's more noticeable with one of Windows random logon images as shown in the video, but it usually goes away after several restarts. Besides that, it did have some backlight bleeding on the right side of the top edge of the screen but that's only noticeable when the screen is dark (when playing Elite Dangerous, for example)

Screen issue: youtube.com/watch?v=5a8-Gp9B7YQ

Those issues aside, it's like I said. I want a powerful laptop and Digital Storm provides. I'm happy if I can get those 4 years before retiring it from daily use which shouldn't be a problem, so long as I'm conscious of it's temperature.

I know this pic doesn't do the Triton justice (being in the middle of a renovation, I'm set up in a closed in porch with no lighting), but this is it

-----
old
I have a review to post. The Customer Reviews section said to include pictures, but I'm not allowed to post pictures because when I click "Post New Topic" I'm met with the message that I'm not allowed to post links as part of some spam prevention attempt and my entire post is erased. Good thing I have ditto.

I'll be waiting for permission to post my review, links included.

Edited by Sogeking - 29 Jun 2017 at 2:18am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:03am
Welcome to DS. You can post here and we'll read it.Big%20Smile

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 3:01am
Congrats.

I would connect your laptop to an external monitor, if you have the option, to determine if the screen distortion is the screen/ ribbon cable to it, or the graphics card.   Same issue with external monitor means a possible graphics card, driver issue.   No issue with external monitor means your laptop display most likely.

Try loading new graphics drivers.

Sogeking View Drop Down

Quote Sogeking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:25am
I know it's been a while, but I had a question about DS warranty.

I've had that purple/pink flicker ever since I got this laptop. It only appears occasionally when the screen is powered on (either at windows startup, or when closing/opening the lid, or changing external monitor inputs). When it appears, I just close and open the lid until it's gone. It only appears on the laptop screen (not external screens) and never at the oem boot/splash screen.

I just had to wipe my hard drive because of Windows 10 installing incompatible drivers which caused gremlins that would shut off or turn on the laptop randomly, but more and more frequently.

As I was installing drivers, the instant I installed the nvidia driver (latest version) the screen flashed off and on and the pink ripples appeared.

So it only happens on the laptop's monitor and only with nvidia's driver (external monitors okay and generic Intel video card okay) so there should be a physical defect, right?

Is this something that I could have returned to DS so they could supply me with a laptop that isn't busted? (for future reference)

Edited by Sogeking - 14 Apr 2018 at 1:38am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 2:01am
If external monitor works then I agree that it’s most likely the laptop screen or cable going to it.   The screen issue sure does look like a graphics card going bad, but it does work externally.

I would remove the screen surround bezel, just some small screws under bumpers, possible the bezel above the keyboard, snaps in, and look for the cable going to the screen.    Check it’s connection.    

I would’ve sent it back for repair while under warranty for repair.    They don’t supply another laptop.

Hope this helps.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:49am
You might make sure your old driver was completely removed when you updated. To eliminate that as an issue at this point, you'd want to delete all reference to Nvidia drivers and reinstall the latest one again. Just maybe a help.
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 5:18pm
Wow that sucks. I bought a Behemoth laptop in 2015 and have had no issues(so far). And I have two GTX 980Ms running.
And I got that thermal paste.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Sogeking View Drop Down

Quote Sogeking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:15pm
Just updating this post for others who may have the same problem because I found the cause of the pink flickering screen.

The laptop started doing a hard shut down randomly, or turning itself on while I'm away, or cutting off before I even get passed the POST screen. Also had issues with the keyboard not inputting key presses at times and triple pressing the same problem keys at others.
Determined those not to be caused by software or an assembly/connection issue so I ordered new hardware.

I replaced the keyboard and power button board 3 months ago and it's the longest this computer has ran with no issues. No hard shut offs and, as I just realized, no pink flickering screen.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2019 at 2:02am

AwesomeThank you for posting. That was some searching. Hope that was it. Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply