Post Date: 2011-06-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Extra parts warranty worth it??
    Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 10:01am
The final stage before ordering is to decide if paying for an extra year or two of parts warranty is worth it.  Most of the parts have their own manufacturer's warranty, from 3-5 years.  Is that good enough?

So, what's it like dealing with a mobo or gpu maker for a parts replacement as opposed to having DS replace or ship the part to you after troubleshooting, both time-wise and hassle-wise?

I don't have experience in that area, having owned Dell, etc and would appreciate anyone's experience's.   

ironmb View Drop Down

Quote ironmb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 10:20am

When your system is under warranty through DS, if anything stops working or fails/dies, DS will fix it at no cost. I'm not sure about the shipping part, but im sure they cover one way, and you cover the other way (dont quote me on that).

After your warranty is up, if a part fails.. like lets say your GPU. You'll have to call the manufacturer and let them know what's wrong. Usually though, after purchasing a product you sometimes have to register the actual hardware.. so thats actually a good question.. Considering EVGA cards are lifetime warranties when registered.

Alex would have to chime in here. Best to email him though with a direct question, as i am about to about my EVGA cards.

Edited by ironmb - 22 Jun 2011 at 10:25am
Timmyny View Drop Down

Quote Timmyny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:43pm
" I'm not sure about the shipping part, but im sure they cover one way, and you cover the other way (dont quote me on that)."

I had to send in my PC for repair last month after a call to tech support wasn't able to fix the problem.

As for shipping, you pay to sent the PC back, it was an easy process, you give them your CC info, they will make a Fedex label and email to you, you print it out and call Fedex to pick it up.   ***  KEEP your BOX !!  *** Big%20Smile

They pay for return shipping to you.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 1:06pm
@bprat22,

Dealing with component manufactures is usually very easy if you are outside the part warranty time range with Digital Storm. Especially since the hardware we sell are brand name components. Paying for a longer DS warranty will cover you from having to deal with the manufacture for replacement hardware, you'll usually also get replacement parts faster from us.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 1:22pm
Thanks Alex.  Kinda what I thought.

The $99 for an extra year of Digital Storm parts support IMHO is worth it.  Now to decide if ODE is the way to go without it. 

31 years in field service has made me very service oriented.  Good customer service trumps most other concerns.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 3:24pm
I agree! Customer service is our first, and main priority. That will never change with Digital Storm.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 11:48pm
Tho I'm not crazy about the idea of paying for shipping for parts and/or sending pc back, but at the same time, we need to realize, that if we want DS quality and parts, for now, the cost of shipping is part of it, they are not a huge company and can't afford to eat the cost of shipping yet, on the other hand if we want to not pay for shipping, then we are gonna have to deal with crappy parts from places like dell and hp.

Personally if you can afford it, I recommend getting part warranty for as long as you want to own the pc, for example, I wanted this pc to be running for the next 5 years, so I got the 5 year part warranty.

It is a lot easier to deal with DS then it is with asus for example.

But main thing to take note of here IMHO is the DS customers service, I will just say one thing and I think that this is all I have to say, you ready, here it is:

What other company has Alex to keep you happy, like Alex does with us here?

I rest my case.

If evga and mushkin and everybody else had a Alex, I don't think we would be getting DS warranty, lol, IMHO the best part of DS warranty is Alex

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Jun 2011 at 11:49pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:48am
DST4ME, I agree with you 100%.  Dell might offer onsite home repair, which is pretty good after getting through the phone part of it, but I'm ready for quality components, oc'ing and a pc case you can actaually work with and the likes of Digital Storm to deal with.   

Too bad the ODE dropped it's >1 year parts coverage.  Guess that means back to my own config with some compromises to fit my budget. 

Don't scream DSTBig%20Smile, but I might have to drop from i7 to i5 to meet my budget, but get my 560Ti, A70, parts warranty, haf922, realizing it's pretty good for now but maybe not as good as future games actually make use of hyperthreading, etc.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 3:58pm
Thanks for the love guys!

@bprat22 and everyone else, I spoke with the team, and we have added the warranty upgrade option back to the ODE configurations.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:44pm
Alex, you guys are the best!  I have never dealt with a company with your level of customer concern.  DST4ME at first and now you have convinced me where the love belongs. 

Now, as soon as I learn I haven't won the facebook posting contest, I will be ordering, FINALLY, a gaming computer to blow the bad guys away. 

Thanks a bunch.   
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:54pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:43pm
LOL well first I am screaming, lol.

Second just to clarify, I'm just a customer like you and don't work for DS.
 Post Reply Post Reply