FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback on my new PC config

Post Date: 2016-05-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Necrovoodoo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Feedback on my new PC config
    Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:32pm
I'm looking for some feedback on this new PC configuration. As a note, I am waiting until the new Nvidia GTX 1080 card is released before I place an order. The video card I have selected below is simply a placeholder. Aside from the video card, I'm not anticipating many (if any) changes to the config before I place the order in June. That is, of course, unless someone sees a change I should consider making.

Thanks!

--------------

Chassis
-Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
-Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
-Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Core Components
-Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
-Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
-System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
-Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity
-Expansion Bay: Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack)
-Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Internal)
-Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (256GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
-Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
-Storage Set 3: 2x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
-RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance (Requires 2 Identical HDDs)
-RAID Card: - No Thanks
-Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Multimedia
-Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (VR Ready)
-Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
-HPC Processor: - No Thanks

Engineering
-Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
-HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
-HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
-Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with -Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
-Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
-Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
-Airflow Control: - No Thanks
-Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
-Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
-LaserMark: - No Thanks

Overclocking
-Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
-Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
-Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
-Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2016 at 9:45pm
Beast mode, almost exactly what I am ordering, only I have a different back up hard drive and I am waiting til Friday and ordering the gtx 1080's...and the hydro pro.

You made a lot of solid choices, your m.2 solid state will fill up Fast if you start downloading games to it. Other than that due to asking a lot of questions myself and getting a lot of solid feedback you seemed to nail exactly what you need for some nice gaming.

A second video card could go a LONG way, especially if you are goin to do any VR stuff.

:) Enjoy, that is a beautiful machine...

Edited by Democules - 24 May 2016 at 9:46pm

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:40am
Thanks for the reply. Your feedback is appreciated!

Regarding the hard drives I selected, I'm planning on putting the OS by itself on the 256GB M.2 drive. After that, I'm going to put only a few select games on the other 512GB SSD. Then, after that, any other of the 400 games I have on Steam will get installed on the two larger HDDs that are set up in a RAID 0.

As far going SLI with the GTX 1080 card, I definitely considered it. However, since i'm not really planning on doing much VR stuff, I figure the single card will meet my gaming needs for now, especially with the benchmarks i've seen thus far.

Instead of spending money on SLI, I decided to put money toward two new Dell 27-inch, 144hz, G-Sync monitors. I also picked up a Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire mechanical keyboard and a Logitech G303 gaming mouse. I'm also in the market for some new speakers but I haven't decided which ones to buy yet. That said, I'm leaning toward the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX speakers.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:06am
i'm curious why you didn't go with a Skylake platform since you're config'd (1xvid card+lots of storage) for it?  you only got 16GB of system memory so i'm assuming your usage needs don't revolve around heavy rendering/editing work.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:11am
Right on man, guess you know more about it than me at least lol. You got a great game plan, and did good research. I see exactly what you are saying. and WOW@400 steam games lol.

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by db188

i'm curious why you didn't go with a Skylake platform since you're config'd (1xvid card+lots of storage) for it?  you only got 16GB of system memory so i'm assuming your usage needs don't revolve around heavy rendering/editing work.  

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I have kind of went back and fourth between Haswell and Skylake in my config process. What would you say are the biggest benefits of choosing Skylake?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:13pm
for one it's a faster platform.  both the chip and chipset (100 series) improvements combine to make it so.  it also has more high speed storage connectivity and usb 3.0/some 3.1 depending on the board chosen.  the only advantage it doesn't have over Haswell-E is multi video card support.  all 3 Haswell-E chip skus have more direct pcie lanes than any of the Skylake chips.  your limited to 2xSLI (max) in an x8/x8 config with Skylake.  when you add in a pcie storage device your bandwidth is pretty much used up.  the top two Haswell-E skus are 40 lanes each.  you can easily do 4xSLI +high speed storage with them.

my advice to folks when it comes to choosing between the two platforms is to figure out what your usage priorities are and how much realistic expansion do you plan on doing before a completely new system build.  some people heavy into rendering/editing can get more from the higher core counts with Haswell-E, but a gamer isn't going to see that.  the faster quad core Skylakes are going to serve you better in a gaming environment.  however, a gamer desiring the power of 3 or more vid cards will have to go with Haswell-E.  one area i will say the higher core count comes thru on in games is in physics.  i was running some Firestrike testing while oc'ing my vid cards and while i was getting expected scoring results on the graphics tests, the physics score was rather low.  i've seen the same test run with a 5820K proc and the physics score is much higher than with a 6700K.  what does this mean in real world game experiences?  well, i think you'll see (in some games that rely heavily on physics) the cpu hold back the gpu in physics intensive moments of game play with the 6700K compared to any of the Haswell-E procs. 

my personal setup is: [email protected]; 2xGTX 980ti's (watercooled); 1xPcie NVMe SSD.  i've tapped out my pcie lanes with this config.  i'm even a little concerned i might be experiencing some bottlenecks at times by doing so.  anyone who wants to do more than what i've done should jump on Haswell-E.     

Edited by db188 - 25 May 2016 at 4:16pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 5:49pm

for one it's a faster platform.  both the chip and chipset (100 series) improvements combine to make it so.  it also has more high speed storage connectivity and usb 3.0/some 3.1 depending on the board chosen.  the only advantage it doesn't have over Haswell-E is multi video card support.  all 3 Haswell-E chip skus have more direct pcie lanes than any of the Skylake chips.  your limited to 2xSLI (max) in an x8/x8 config with Skylake.  when you add in a pcie storage device your bandwidth is pretty much used up.  the top two Haswell-E skus are 40 lanes each.  you can easily do 4xSLI +high speed storage with them.

my advice to folks when it comes to choosing between the two platforms is to figure out what your usage priorities are and how much realistic expansion do you plan on doing before a completely new system build.  some people heavy into rendering/editing can get more from the higher core counts with Haswell-E, but a gamer isn't going to see that.  the faster quad core Skylakes are going to serve you better in a gaming environment.  however, a gamer desiring the power of 3 or more vid cards will have to go with Haswell-E.  one area i will say the higher core count comes thru on in games is in physics.  i was running some Firestrike testing while oc'ing my vid cards and while i was getting expected scoring results on the graphics tests, the physics score was rather low.  i've seen the same test run with a 5820K proc and the physics score is much higher than with a 6700K.  what does this mean in real world game experiences?  well, i think you'll see (in some games that rely heavily on physics) the cpu hold back the gpu in physics intensive moments of game play with the 6700K compared to any of the Haswell-E procs. 

my personal setup is: [email protected]; 2xGTX 980ti's (watercooled); 1xPcie NVMe SSD.  i've tapped out my pcie lanes with this config.  i'm even a little concerned i might be experiencing some bottlenecks at times by doing so.  anyone who wants to do more than what i've done should jump on Haswell-E.     

Thanks for the information. It was helpful. After reviewing what you've said and doing some additional research on my own, I think the i7 6700 Skylake CPU is a better fit for my gaming needs.

I've updated my new PC config. The only two items that are different now are the CPU and motherboard. I had to switch from an "Apollo" to a "Hailstorm II" but I was still able to use the Apollo case, which I really like.

-Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
-
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)

I'm still reviewing the motherboard options but the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming board seems to be a good choice so far.

As far as hard drives are concerned, since I can only have a single M.2 drive, do you think it would be better to put the OS on the M.2 drive or use it for games? Basically, I want to separate my OS drive with my games drives. I want both to perform quickly but I'm not sure which setup would be more beneficial.

My current storage plan is:
-Operating System =
M.2 (256GB Samsung 950 PRO)
-Some games I want to benefit from SSD speed = Samsung 512GB 850 Pro SSD
-All other games = Two 2 TB WD Black Drives in a Raid 0

Would you (or anyone else here) make any changes to this storage setup in order to optimize game and OS performance?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:19pm
Put the OS on the fastest drive...that will get you the best user experience possible. How many games are you going to have installed on your system? If you're going to have less than 15 AAA games on it, then you can make due with a 1TB drive for mass storage; 35 for a 2TB drive. The reliability of a single SSD will be much better than 2 HDD's in RAID 0, in addition to being faster, quieter, and have lower power consumption. I'd recommend a 256GB or 512GB 950 Pro + 1TB or 2TB 850 Evo. The Z170 Pro Gaming board is a good choice.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1419459 but with a GTX 1080 instead of GTX 980 GPU.

Get some thumb drives to do occasional back-ups of user files and such that cannot be redownloaded. Keep the thumb drives off of the computer pretty much any time you aren't backing up your computer. This way you are protected against ransomware.

Edited by  - 25 May 2016 at 6:21pm
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Necrovoodoo

Storage / Connectivity
-Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (256GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
-RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance
(Requires 2 Identical HDDs)

Is there a particular reason you're also going with a RAID 0 configuration with 2x 2Tb hard drives as opposed to an external storage solution(I'm assuming this is going to be strictly for storage)? For someone such as myself, I would be running the system to the computer shop whenever something went wrong with the RAID drives. I do not have any firsthand experience with RAID configured drives, their frequency of issues & causes, but I do know that when issues do arise, it can be a pain in the ass, which in my opinion is not worth the small amount of performance boost.

Nevertheless, this is just my opinion, and for someone who has experience working with & troubleshooting RAID configurations, it shouldn't be a problem unless they fail to regularly back up their data.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:41pm
there are other mobos, other drives, etc, that you can think about using.  since you're only going with a single vid card, you've got plenty of options for pcie storage.  Intel (i'm using the Intel 750) and Samsung have pcie nvme ssd options that are blazing fast.  you can actually populate 1 or more in the pcie slots (i think most z170 boards disable the third pcie slot when an m.2 is in use.  that still leaves plenty. 

i've chosen to personally stay clear of Asus boards from now on, so i can't speak as to how well the Asus Pro Gaming will serve you.  both DS installed Asus Deluxe's went bad on me and i switched to Gigabyte G1 Gaming GT. 

additional thoughts are that you're wasting a lot of drive space, performance, and cash on only having the OS on your best drive imo.  you need 20GB for a 64-bit W10 OS.  i would put current games you play on this drive as well.  you can use your secondary ssd for storing older games and data. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by 

Put the OS on the fastest drive...that will get you the best user experience possible. How many games are you going to have installed on your system? If you're going to have less than 15 AAA games on it, then you can make due with a 1TB drive for mass storage; 35 for a 2TB drive. The reliability of a single SSD will be much better than 2 HDD's in RAID 0, in addition to being faster, quieter, and have lower power consumption. I'd recommend a 256GB or 512GB 950 Pro + 1TB or 2TB 850 Evo. The Z170 Pro Gaming board is a good choice.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1419459 but with a GTX 1080 instead of GTX 980 GPU.

Get some thumb drives to do occasional back-ups of user files and such that cannot be redownloaded. Keep the thumb drives off of the computer pretty much any time you aren't backing up your computer. This way you are protected against ransomware.

Thanks for the advice. I have quite a few games on Steam but I don't plan on having many of them installed at once. I like the idea of going with a 2TB 850 Evo for game storage. I thought the total price of the system was going to be significantly higher when including an SSD of that size but ditching the 2 HDDs offsets it, which is awesome.

Thanks again!

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Acetylide

Storage / Connectivity

Is there a particular reason you're also going with a RAID 0 configuration with 2x 2Tb hard drives as opposed to an external storage solution(I'm assuming this is going to be strictly for storage)? For someone such as myself, I would be running the system to the computer shop whenever something went wrong with the RAID drives. I do not have any firsthand experience with RAID configured drives, their frequency of issues & causes, but I do know that when issues do arise, it can be a pain in the ass, which in my opinion is not worth the small amount of performance boost.

Nevertheless, this is just my opinion, and for someone who has experience working with & troubleshooting RAID configurations, it shouldn't be a problem unless they fail to regularly back up their data.

Speed was the primary reason I was planning on using RAID 0 for the two platter drives. That said, after getting some feedback and doing some price comparisons, I've decided to change my plan. I'm now going with the storage config below:

-OS and Certain AAA Game Titles = 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO)
-All other games and storage needs =
1x SSD (2TB Samsung 850 EVO)

This setup will perform faster but I will have less storage space available. However, I figure if I end up needing more space, I can just get an external drive to use. I could really use a NAS device at some point anyway.

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:58am

there are other mobos, other drives, etc, that you can think about using.  since you're only going with a single vid card, you've got plenty of options for pcie storage.  Intel (i'm using the Intel 750) and Samsung have pcie nvme ssd options that are blazing fast.  you can actually populate 1 or more in the pcie slots (i think most z170 boards disable the third pcie slot when an m.2 is in use.  that still leaves plenty. 

i've chosen to personally stay clear of Asus boards from now on, so i can't speak as to how well the Asus Pro Gaming will serve you.  both DS installed Asus Deluxe's went bad on me and i switched to Gigabyte G1 Gaming GT. 

additional thoughts are that you're wasting a lot of drive space, performance, and cash on only having the OS on your best drive imo.  you need 20GB for a 64-bit W10 OS.  i would put current games you play on this drive as well.  you can use your secondary ssd for storing older games and data. 

At this point, I'm still undecided on a motherboard, so I'm doing research. I've always found that choosing a motherboard can be a pretty challenging task because you really need to look at what features the motherboard has and then decide on which one best suits your needs. The problem is that there's a lot of features to compare.

For the Apollo system with a Skylake CPU, there are  8 motherboard options.

Default selection is: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)

OTHER MOTHERBOARD OPTIONS:
-GIGABYTE H170M-DS3H (Intel H170 Chipset) (MATX) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) ($41 less than default)
-ASUS Z170-K (Intel Z170 Chipset) (No SLI Support) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) ($17 less)
-GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) ($3 more)
-ASUS Z170-A (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) ($58 more)
-ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices) ($143 more)
-ASUS Z170-DELUXE (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices) ($247 more)
-ASUS MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) ($422 more)

I'd be very interested in reading feedback on these motherboards from anyone here. Especially if anyone here is using or has used any of these boards. In the meantime, I'm going to review spec sheets, benchmarks, and customer reviews on Newegg and Amazon.

Thanks again!
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:48am
nice choice on the HDD, that Samsung M.2 is a beaut.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:01am
as for motherboard experiences, the only one i can directly speak about is the Asus Deluxe.  here's the list of problems with it:  DS informed me during the build and testing that the first mobo was DOA and it delayed my build time by a little bit while they had to reorder a new one.  after receiving the system, within 2 mos the "new" mobo started giving problems with boot errors.  took it back to DS for diagnostic testing and repairs.  they swapped out my cpu and 2 vid cards for good measure but didn't feel the mobo was the culprit (at this time).  same problems cropped up for me after having it in my possession for a couple of weeks.  i insisted it was the mobo and DS agreed to swap me a comparable mobo from another vendor (i chose the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GT from the available on hand choices) as i'd had enough of Asus.  they also did the free tubing swap (from rigid acrylic to flex) for my troubles.  my system's been running great since!  all of this to say that i think Asus offers some very feature packed mobos, but i've personally lost faith in their QA process.   ymmv if you decide to go with one.  lots of people (i know it's a small percentage of their overall sales) on these boards daily report tech issues directly or indirectly related to Asus mobos.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Democules

nice choice on the HDD, that Samsung M.2 is a beaut.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs. I've never had this type of drive before so it should be interesting!

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:17pm

as for motherboard experiences, the only one i can directly speak about is the Asus Deluxe.  here's the list of problems with it:  DS informed me during the build and testing that the first mobo was DOA and it delayed my build time by a little bit while they had to reorder a new one.  after receiving the system, within 2 mos the "new" mobo started giving problems with boot errors.  took it back to DS for diagnostic testing and repairs.  they swapped out my cpu and 2 vid cards for good measure but didn't feel the mobo was the culprit (at this time).  same problems cropped up for me after having it in my possession for a couple of weeks.  i insisted it was the mobo and DS agreed to swap me a comparable mobo from another vendor (i chose the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GT from the available on hand choices) as i'd had enough of Asus.  they also did the free tubing swap (from rigid acrylic to flex) for my troubles.  my system's been running great since!  all of this to say that i think Asus offers some very feature packed mobos, but i've personally lost faith in their QA process.   ymmv if you decide to go with one.  lots of people (i know it's a small percentage of their overall sales) on these boards daily report tech issues directly or indirectly related to Asus mobos.  

Thanks for the info! I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the Asus boards.

I've been doing research today on motherboards and I've noticed that the customer reviews for various boards and manufactures each contain people who have experienced similar problems like what you went through. Some boards were DOA, some boards worked but were faulty in some way, and some boards started out fine but stopped functioning after a short period of time.

That said, at least from the customer reviews I read, this wasn't exclusive to Asus. It happened with just about every manufacture I reviewed.

I've come to the conclusion that it's somewhat of a roll of the dice with any brand. Of the 8 boards I have to choose from, 6 are made by Asus and 2 are made by Gigabyte. After looking everything over, I'm now leaning toward this one:

ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)

It has all of the features I think I'll use and it appears to be great for overclocking. Ultimately, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that everything works as it should whenever I finally get it.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 5:24pm
i wish you a trouble-free and pleasant experience with your build.  i was glad to offer some suggestions and hopefully steer you in a good direction with some of your build decisions.  welcome to the DS family!  the usual suspects will be here to help you with any issues that crop up and i'm sure i speak for the community when i say we can't wait for picsBig%20Smile
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:01pm

i wish you a trouble-free and pleasant experience with your build.  i was glad to offer some suggestions and hopefully steer you in a good direction with some of your build decisions.  welcome to the DS family!  the usual suspects will be here to help you with any issues that crop up and i'm sure i speak for the community when i say we can't wait for picsBig%20Smile

Thank you! I really appreciate the help and feedback. I'll be sure to post pics and the final build specs once I finally receive it.

I'll be placing my order when the GTX 1080 card becomes available. Big%20Smile
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:41am

They are available now.Strong

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:29am
Originally posted by hoserator

They are available now.Strong

I see that the card was released today but I don't see it available through Digital Storm yet. I'm going to order a new PC so I'm waiting for it to become an option in the Apollo system config.

Also, since the card that got released today is the Nvidia Founder's Edition, which costs $100 more, I'm tempted to wait until 3rd party manufactures (e.g., MSI, Asus, EGVA, etc.) release their cards in June because theirs are supposed to cost $100 less.

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:10am
It looks like the GTX 1080 card is available on the Digital Storm site now. That said, I'm thinking about waiting for the Asus Strix edition. Hopefully, Digital Storm will offer it when it's released.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-strix-gtx-1080-revealed,31905.html
nolt84 View Drop Down

Quote nolt84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 4:01am

I'm looking for some feedback on this new PC configuration. As a note, I am waiting until the new Nvidia GTX 1080 card is released before I place an order. The PhenQ Reviews I have selected below is simply a placeholder. Aside from the video card, I'm not anticipating many (if any) changes to the config before I place the order in June. That is, of course, unless someone sees a change I should consider making.Thanks!--------------Chassis
-Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
-Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
-Trim Accents: - Standard Factory FinishCore Components
-Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
-Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
-System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
-Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)Storage / Connectivity
-Expansion Bay: Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack)
-Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray
& DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Internal)
-RAID Card: - No Thanks
-Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)Multimedia
-Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (VR Ready)
-Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
-HPC Processor: - No ThanksEngineering
-Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
-HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
-HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
-Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with
-Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
-Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
-Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color
options and lighting effects)
-Airflow Control: - No Thanks
-Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
-Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
-LaserMark: - No ThanksOverclocking
-Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on
Cooling and Motherboard)
-Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as
possible with complete stability
-Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
-Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

configurations looks awesome.
I wonder it will come into the price range of 5 to 7 figures.
Correct me if i am wrong..
This will be on my list of dreams to get.

Edited by nolt84 - 16 Aug 2016 at 10:55pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 4:15am
Originally posted by nolt84

configurations looks awesome.
Correct me if i am wrong..
This will be on my list of dreams to get

That computer could be yours for under $4k. That is far less than "5 to 7 figures".

The only 5 figure models so far are the extremely tricked out Aventums and Hailstorms.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 1:29pm
For a dream machine I'm sure I can do better, since that config doesn't have all the high performance parts in it. But it is a nice config if that is what he needs

When the op was being helped here we were all thinking tri sli and quad sli but last month or so nvidia announced that only dual sli will be supported so no more tri sli or quad sli. Which then for gaming makes the x99 pointless as skylake will give you plenty lanes for dual sli and m.2 card.

Otherwise it has some nice stuff.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Aug 2016 at 2:28pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by nolt84

What kind of beast are you talking about for "...5 to 7 figures." ?LOL A couple of Crays?

Edited by hoserator - 07 Aug 2016 at 3:22pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 3:21pm
Na you start with 6950x and a couple of titans and you are already halfway there
 Post Reply Post Reply