FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Desktop just ordered is it a good build

Post Date: 2016-08-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
illu510n View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote illu510n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First Desktop just ordered is it a good build
    Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:20pm
I will mostly be using this for gaming and for 3D rendering for game design. I did do research before I built this but does anyone have any knowledge or experience with any of these parts or can anyone tell me if this build will be able to handle ultra settings gameplay and extremly heavy renders.

Is this a good build?
Aventum 3
Processor: Intel Core i7 6800K 3.4GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) (RGB Lighting)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital / Seagate / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Copper Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Yellow Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Yellow - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Purple) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:30pm
More cores the better here, but I'm not sure if the price vs performance ratio is worth it, as its pretty high, but if budget is no issue and we have use for it, I would go for it but thats just me, you have to decide if you are willing to live with that ratio.

otherwise the rest looks good. I would drop oc to stage 1 unless you can get a good vcore, you can push the oc real easy yourself now in days with software.

I'm not sure what kind of vcore DS is putting out these days with stage 2 oc. In the old days it was a bit high for our taste.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Aug 2016 at 4:31pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 5:04pm
no need for an add-in sound card, that mobo comes with their SupremeFX on board sound card.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 5:31pm
Hi illu510n.

Just a comment or two in addition to DST4ME and db188's. Your hdds appear to be different since the first one is not specified. Both should be WD - black. The WD- black is better from what I have read here.
Also, you are requesting copper tubing which is a bit more flexible than the acrylic (not really, but copper bends and acrylic cracks) but still harder than the flexible tubing if you need to work around it. However, it does look really cool. I have read that pigments on the coolant can separate with time and dirty the cooling blocks and fittings and since you can't see the color with the copper tubing, I would get clear fluid just in case the articles have some truth in them.

Apart from the above, that is one beast of a system (literally). Welcome to DS and the Aventum.StrongYou will laugh when you lay eyes on it the first time.LOL

Edited by hoserator - 15 Aug 2016 at 5:47pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 5:54pm
hey Hose, most of the problems that people associated with dyes (in the case of colored fluid) was actually a result of clogging caused by "leeching" (a chemical breakdown of the plasticizer (used in making flexible tubing) whereby the inner wall of flexible tubing would begin to develop a film of white residue that would flake off and clog up rads, blocks, etc.  these particles would be stained by the dyes, so people thought it was the dye rather than the plasticized leeching that was gunking up the works. 

DS uses non-DEHP plasticizer medical grade flex tubing from Tygon in their builds (the one's that don't feature acrylic or copper).   DEHP plasticizer was the most serious culprit for leeching.

as for dye separation, i seriously doubt that will be a problem unless you let it sit w/o running the pump for long periods of time.  however, once you start it up again it will mix with no problems.  Mayhems and others sell non-staining dyed pre-mixed fluids.    

i think the OP wants the yellow because you can still see it in the reservoir since it's acrylic.    

Edited by db188 - 15 Aug 2016 at 5:56pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
illu510n View Drop Down

Quote illu510n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 12:10am
Thanks so much for the replies. I can see I am going to like the DS community.
I am going to be going through all of your comments on the build. Just some extra info I didn't really have a budget for this build it was originally 5,000 but with add on it came out to about 6,700 and i was fine with that.
I will be closely monitoring the fluid and I wanted yellow simply because i wanted to go with a black, yellow and purple theme.
Both the storage drives are the black edition. I copied that parts list from an old configuration.
I will call DS and see if its possible to maybe take out the sound card.
How much more would an 8-core processor help me? Is what I have sufficient for Ultra gaming? Would I be able to do 4k gaming with what I have now? Sorry for all the questions I'm just excited for my new pc.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 12:24am
Black, yellow and purple theme sounds really cool to me

4k ultra settings in games = yes you gonna crush it.

its hard to say exactly the difference between 6 core and 8 core and 10 core for your use but I'm sure the 10 core offers much better performance vs the 6 core. There will be no dispute there. Problem is the price jump, that is were everybody's problem comes in.

All I can tell you is that if I have the budget and the use I would get the 10 core, its unusual for you to hear me say that, as I'm a best bang for the buck person, but I would actually have use for the cores and since there is no matching option, I would pay to go higher cpu, or perhaps jump on a workstation. But that is when I have use for the cores and money to burn if you will.

AS mentioned I would like to tell you that soft tubing is much easier to work on then copper or hard tubing and understand that there can be possibility of you having to work on your lc system. Never get an open loop lc system and think you are never have to work on it.

db and bp also gave you some info so let us know what you think and if you have anymore questions.
illu510n View Drop Down

Quote illu510n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 12:40am
Thanks for the info. I wont be doing anything really cpu heavy except for rendering which takes up a lot of ram mostly so I think I will be fine with 6 core over 8 core. The 10 core is too much of a price jump for me right now. Will I be able to upgrade it later?(might be a stupid question)

I was reading that the flexible tubing is more prone to leaks and that the copper fixtures were created to stop the likelihood of that happening. Do you have any experience or thoughts on this?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:15am
I can't tell you whether one will leak less then the other, its all pure assumption, neither should leak, unless its a faulty part, and a faulty part will leak on any system.

Yes connections are better in theory with copper so there should be less chance of leaks but it s not eliminated. Plus the trade off that is the pain in the arse of working with hard lines.

I have had my own system for example you see in my sig, have leaks due to a bad washer for example from the quick disconnect. once I took care of that no leaks in the past 5 years. Of course I still open it and flush it as you should with any lc system, I have had to change pumps twice. So there will be something.

Even if its less prone to leak, due to connections, you still have to work on it, pumps can fail as they do. etc.

If you are not fine with price vs performance ratio of the other cores then looks like you have found your sweet spot, 6 core it is. You will be able to upgrade to the 10 core that you could get now and not future processors.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 1:15am
illu510n View Drop Down

Quote illu510n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:43am
Ok I will look more into the flexible tubing options and might change my order to flexible tubing.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:52am
I believe they will give you quick disconnect with soft tubing but ask to be sure, they make working on the lc very easy. Also ask for a drain valve, it will make flushing extra easy, I just use the quick disconnect myself but the drain valve makes it pretty much a valve turn.

For lights I like the remote control version. I think that one pops more.

I can't wait to see what this beast will look like, I'm looking very forward to your color theme.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 2:10am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 2:16am
Originally posted by db188

i think the OP wants the yellow because you can still see it in the reservoir since it's acrylic.    

OopsTotally forgot about that. Kind of hard to miss, isn't it?

@illu510n, that color scheme will have a few people here going bonkers with delight.Awesome

I have soft hoses on mine and yes, since they are flexible, on a longish run (more than 2"-3"), if they are not supported, (in my exclusively singular neophyte experience) the leaks will ensue at the part of the 90 degree fitting where it has some movement. Just drops but coolant nonetheless. I have added support by placing tie wraps at strategic locations and adjusted to make the load on the fitting equal. (Also changed most 90 fittings for some that were a lot stiffer.) Don't know if this is a good explanation, I'm sorry for the long windedness.Whoa

Enjoy your system.StrongBig%20Smile

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 2:24am
hoserator your system should not be leaking, that means something is not tight. If you feel like giving us an image of the connections you are talking about that is leaking that would be great, I love to have a look at it.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 2:51am
Thanks. I don't have leaks any more.  I changed most 90 fittings, the hose connecting the lower radiators, one quick disconnect and adjusted both fittings going to the pump (in and out) which are some sort of expanding type.Im%20with%20Stupid
I flushed the system twice with distilled water and refilled with EK EVO clear
I have done some work bending ss tubing for fuel systems so.......what could go wrong?LOLLOL Not enough space here to detail the adventures but I'm smiling for now.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 16 Aug 2016 at 3:09am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:21am
Ok buddy just wanted to make sure the leak is gone, no reason to have those as you have figured that out yourself.

I mean we can't have our good buddy running around with leak in his pc now can we
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:22am
LOLLOL
oh ohLOLLOL
I think a drop came outBig%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:23am
Originally posted by hoserator

LOLLOLoh ohLOLLOLI think a drop came outBig%20Smile

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:42am
i've heard that said about the QDC tubing as well, but so far i haven't had any problem with mine.  since DS stopped doing 90-degree bends with the acrylic they use more fittings, which offer more potential failure points to the loop.  pros and cons either way.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:13am
The problem with QDC db which btw is so easy to fix is the little washer in them, for some reason if you look at those rubber washers the wrong way they rip let along actually connecting and disconnecting. I have so many on mine but 2 of them had the washer go bad and here comes the leak, lol but I got them new washers so no big deal. Easy fix really.
soulmanim3 View Drop Down

Quote soulmanim3 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 7:21am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Ok buddy just wanted to make sure the leak is gone, no reason to have those as you have figured that out yourself.

I mean we can't have our good buddy running around with leak in his pc now can we

Wait! You didn't catch the leak during Stage 8?! I'm at a loss.
Ordered - 07/02/2016 | Stage 7 - 08/15/2016
Stage 1 - 07/05/2016 | Shipped - 08/16/2016
Stage 2 - 07/11/2016
Stage 3 - 07/11/2016
Stage 4 - 07/26/2016
Stage 5 - 07/26/2016
Stage 6 - 08/04/2016
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 7:50am
unfortunately the leak happened after stage 8 during shipping.   

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 7:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply