FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First gaming computer for son

Post Date: 2019-08-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nosjunke View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nosjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First gaming computer for son
    Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:36am
Hello all! My son and I have been talking about getting him a gaming computer. I have a mid-2000 PC that we don't use, so he took it apart, put it back together, and such. He also took apart one of our TVs and found the burned out capacitor and I am getting a new one to get that TV back up and running. So, he is more tech savvy than I. He just turned 13.

He plays on his Xbox know and has his favorites-Fortnite, Rocket League soccer and the Forza racing games.

Here is what I ordered him. It's still in stage 1 so if I jacked it up please tell me so I can get it fixed ASAP! I figured anything is better than nothing at this point and it's our first go around.

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (6-Core) 4.4 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming (AMD X470 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-AC56 (Supports 802.11ac)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio (he mostly wears headphones)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AMD Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 4:23pm
Hi Nosjunke,

Congratulations and welcome to DS. Awesome

The configuration gurus will let you know about how it will all work together. I can tell you that you can improve performance tremendously by changing the Storage Set 1 to a Samsung 512 GB 970 Pro (NVM Express). it is noticeably faster.

Your son will love it. I imagine he will be tinkering with it soon. Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 4:50am
Not much to go on re: budget and monitor resolution, but a couple of observations:

We always like to recommend the Corsair 850W power supply at +$70, both for better options for upgrades later, but mostly for the 5 year warranty from Corsair. All DS branded parts are covered only by the DS blanket warranty you order, typically 1 year.

The GTX 1650 is the entry level Nvidia graphics processor. At 1080p monitor resolution, it will perform okay at medium to high settings. Nothing to write home about, but fine to start out. Much stronger choice at a reasonable bump (+$94) would be the GTX 1660.

The upgrade my friend suggests to the Samsung 512GB 970 PRO is highly recommended. If you can't do anything else, squeeze that in there somehow. Not only do you switch to a 5 year Samsung warranty on your primary drive, but it's easily 5X as fast as the one selected. It accesses a different chipset for processing faster. The PRO is Samsung's best, and it's on sale here.

Welcome, you are going to appreciate the choice you've made in Digital Storm. Most of us have been around for years, and we've had multiple systems. Please come back with any more questions.
Nosjunke View Drop Down

Quote Nosjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 4:57am
Thanks for the info! The plan is to use his 40" HD TV that is connected to his Xbox. It's a 1080p unit.

I am interested in getting a longer warranty as I'm hopeful the bulk of the computer will remain largely in factory built form through high school, so another 4 years.

"We always like to recommend the Corsair 850W power supply at +$70, both for better options for upgrades later, but mostly for the 5 year warranty from Corsair. All DS branded parts are covered only by the DS blanket warranty you order, typically 1 year."
-Yep, I'll figure out how to get that added to our order.

"The upgrade my friend suggests to the Samsung 512GB 970 PRO is highly recommended. If you can't do anything else, squeeze that in there somehow. Not only do you switch to a 5 year Samsung warranty on your primary drive, but it's easily 5X as fast as the one selected. It accesses a different chipset for processing faster. The PRO is Samsung's best, and it's on sale here."
-Not sure what this one costs, but seems like the easy choice of upgrade (depending on cost).
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 5:33am
Sorry, the Samsung upgrade is $123. It's a big number, but it's an amazing bargain when you consider just how much performance is increased. If one or the other, not both, get the Samsung!

Nosjunke View Drop Down

Quote Nosjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:42am
I've sent them a message to ask how I can get that added along with the power supply. Thanks for the info. Just waiting to heard back.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:54am
Agree with my friend Cretae.... The bit of that advice your sharp gamer son will consider most crucial would be the need for a dedicated video card.    
Nosjunke View Drop Down

Quote Nosjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 12:14pm
I got those add-ons. Thanks for the advice on it. Now just have to wait like everyone else.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 12:31pm
 Your son looks like he likes to see how things work, so got to leave something to upgrade and a gpu is real easy to r&r. Would make a super Holiday/Birthday/all A's (lol) gift.
Awesome
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 5:43am
Nice idea, hose....

@Nosjunke: You won't regret the extras. Well done.
DSmithz View Drop Down

Quote DSmithz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Cretae

Not much to go on re: budget and monitor resolution, but a couple of observations:

We always like to recommend the Corsair 850W power supply at +$70, both for better options for upgrades later, but mostly for the 5 year warranty from Corsair. All DS branded parts are covered only by the DS blanket warranty you order, typically 1 year.

The GTX 1650 is the entry level Nvidia graphics processor. At 1080p monitor resolution, it will perform okay at medium to high settings. Nothing to write home about, but fine to start out. Much stronger choice at a reasonable bump (+$94) would be the GTX 1660.

The upgrade my friend suggests to the Samsung 512GB 970 PRO is highly recommended. If you can't do anything else, squeeze that in there somehow. Not only do you switch to a 5 year Samsung warranty on your primary drive, but it's easily 5X as fast as the one selected. It accesses a different chipset for processing faster. The PRO is Samsung's best, and it's on sale here.

Welcome, you are going to appreciate the choice you've made in Digital Storm. Most of us have been around for years, and we've had multiple systems. Please come back with any more questions.

Agreed! GTX 1660 is the perfect option
Nosjunke View Drop Down

Quote Nosjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 2:29am
Hello and thanks for the replies.   I did call back and upgrade the power supply and card. We are excited as it went to shipping yesterday so we should get it soon.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 3:08am

Please let us know how he likes it!
 Post Reply Post Reply