First PC Build Assist, Please.

Post Date: 2016-07-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
marcosgrande View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First PC Build Assist, Please.
    Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 12:21pm
My teenage son and I currently play on consoles, he much more than I, but we both play regularly. Recently he's decided he wants to create gameplay videos with commentary and upload them to his YouTube channel.

We've both played on the PC (a secondhand 5 year old system that finally died six months back, but gave us a taste of PC gaming). We both use Macs for everyday work, so have limited PC experience. We almost went diy with a PC build, but decided that we'd rather rely on DS expertise for that.

Neither of us currrently plays high demand PC games (War Thunder and Subnautica, for example).

Budget:
$1,500 - $2,000 (including the $150 or so for an Elgato capture card)

Expectations:
We want this to be a useful tool for the next 3-4 years, with an eye toward upgrading components if that extends the life of the system.

Usage:
We need a system to play mostly Steam games (to this point, gaming $$ has gone to the PS4), and for my son to work on his videos.

Special Needs
Both of the games, WT and Subnautica, play better on Windows 7. There seem to be problems with Win 10 for both games.

Specifications:
We've looked at various Vanquish configurations, and even toyed with downgrading the Apollo (especially the gpu) to bring it within budget.

In my limited experience, it seems we want to oc the cpu, but don't need to overkill the gpu. And RAM, 8GB would work, but maybe 16GB better for the video work. That said, I'm no expert, so open to suggestions.

The displays we currently own output to 1080.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and feedback!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 12:26pm
When you say upgrade what do you have in mind?

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

When you say upgrade what do you have in mind?

Ultimately, upgrade the gpu or RAM as needed. I'm not altogether sure whether we'll be adding on games that I have not let him play (yet) or how much demand the video work will put on system memory.

I'd rather buy more cpu than we "need' now, just because that component seems a bit more complicated to replace.

Oh, and a display upgrade will likely be in order at some point too, if I know my son.

Edited by marcosgrande - 10 Jul 2016 at 12:33pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 12:37pm
OK thank you.

so to upgrade the cpu you would be looking at a mobo upgrade also. pretty much not a great idea.

ram upgrade with 16GB I think you are good.

cpu I agree with your thinking.

gpu is where the problem comes in, the couple of games you mentioned have very low requierments, so gpu-wise we can go 970 gtx and blow it out of the water. But if you go bigger monitor and other games then the gpu need drastically change.

In short we need to decide if we want to build a system with one gpu ability or dual gpu ability. Games like farcry, fallout, etc at higher res then yours will need more power.

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 1:13pm
In speaking to my son, we don't anticipate really high demand games in the nearer future (1-2 years).

At this point, he's mostly into FPS and possibly FarCry Primal if he can talk his parents into it. ;)

From here it looks like the 970gtx is a solid near term choice, and whether we need to build in the option of dual gpu's is debatable. Chances are, we won't need it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 1:39pm
Here you go Ticket# 1450633 --- $2,010.00 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Apollo (White)

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 970 4GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

how is that?

in far cry he should get just over 60fps

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Jul 2016 at 1:40pm

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 3:00pm
That looks really good. Thanks so much!

And just for my edification, going with an Apollo versus, say, the Vanquish, represents upgrades on the mobo, the cooling system, psu and the case?

Did I miss anything?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 3:04pm
Vanquish is heavy pre configed, few things can be changed, apollo gives us much more choices.

Now I like to tell you that a new gpu 1060 gtx should come out this week or next for a great price and 980 gtx performance

have a look here before you make your final decision, I would wait and see what kinda price I'm looking at in that config but with a 1060.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 3:13pm
you don't need a capture card unless you're streaming/encoding on one pc while gaming on another (or your console).

the cpu is where most of the work is being done in your usage scenario.  if you can't afford a 6-core the I7 6700k is a good enough choice because of its HT (8 total threads).  most of your budget should go towards it.

the gpu is the next important component.  as was already mentioned, a GTX 970 or above can max out in game settings of most games at 1080p resolution.  the card can also handle the overhead of the streaming app(s) you intend to use. 

while 8GB of ram is fine for just gaming, you'll want more ram for the video editing work.  16GB at least i'd say. 

Edited by db188 - 10 Jul 2016 at 3:17pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 3:44pm

Vanquish is heavy pre configed, few things can be changed, apollo gives us much more choices.

Now I like to tell you that a new gpu 1060 gtx should come out this week or next for a great price and 980 gtx performance

Thanks for the heads up!

So, the retail launch date for the 1060 is July 19, a week from Tuesday. Will DS be building with it before that or shortly thereafter?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 3:50pm
I assume after, either way its almost here

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by db188

you don't need a capture card unless you're streaming/encoding on one pc while gaming on another (or your console).the cpu is where most of the work is being done in your usage scenario.  if you can't afford a 6-core the I7 6700k is a good enough choice because of its HT (8 total threads).  most of your budget should go towards it.the gpu is the next important component.  as was already mentioned, a GTX 970 or above can max out in game settings of most games at 1080p resolution.  the card can also handle the overhead of the streaming app(s) you intend to use.  while 8GB of ram is fine for just gaming, you'll want more ram for the video editing work.  16GB at least i'd say. 

Thanks for your input here. Appreciate it!

In fact, he is (at this point) gaming on his console, and downloading the file to a thumb drive for transfer to his Mac. Very slow for that purpose. He'd rather record to the PS4 onto the Elgato and then upload to the PC for editing and publishing.

He's done the research here, and reports the promise of the Elgato is in ease of recording, faster downloading for editing, improved quality of his videos and ability to record more than 15 minutes of gameplay (PS4 limitation) at a time.

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:05pm

Okay, thanks.

My son's raised a good point; he's not likely to get FC Primal anytime soon. And he's probably right.

That being said, he wants the PC yesterday.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by marcosgrande

Okay, thanks.

My son's raised a good point; he's not likely to get FC Primal anytime soon. And he's probably right.

That being said, he wants the PC yesterday.

Ya but don't rush to judgment, you could get better performance for better price.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by marcosgrande

you don't need a capture card unless you're streaming/encoding on one pc while gaming on another (or your console).the cpu is where most of the work is being done in your usage scenario.  if you can't afford a 6-core the I7 6700k is a good enough choice because of its HT (8 total threads).  most of your budget should go towards it.the gpu is the next important component.  as was already mentioned, a GTX 970 or above can max out in game settings of most games at 1080p resolution.  the card can also handle the overhead of the streaming app(s) you intend to use.  while 8GB of ram is fine for just gaming, you'll want more ram for the video editing work.  16GB at least i'd say. 

Thanks for your input here. Appreciate it!

In fact, he is (at this point) gaming on his console, and downloading the file to a thumb drive for transfer to his Mac. Very slow for that purpose. He'd rather record to the PS4 onto the Elgato and then upload to the PC for editing and publishing.

He's done the research here, and reports the promise of the Elgato is in ease of recording, faster downloading for editing, improved quality of his videos and ability to record more than 15 minutes of gameplay (PS4 limitation) at a time.

just keep in mind that the pc's cpu does that job far better than a capture card, so if he intends to game and encode at the same time he can do it on just the pc.  however, if he wants to play his console exclusive games and use the pc at the same time to encode than the capture card is the way to go.  it just depends on how he wants to do things.   having the capture card certainly gives him more flexibility between the two technologies (pc and console). 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:21pm
  having the capture card certainly gives him more flexibility between the two technologies (pc and console). 

Agreed. In fact, I think that's it right there in a nutshell. He wants that flexibility.

To this point he's played and recorded on his console, so the Elgato is on his parts list.

Edited by marcosgrande - 10 Jul 2016 at 4:24pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:28pm
cool, it seems you're pretty close to finalizing your build.Awesome
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:48pm

cool, it seems you're pretty close to finalizing your build.Awesome

Yeah, I think we're damn close. In fact, possibly sooner rather than later.

Not sure my boy wants to wait for the 1060. With the build time 10-15 business days and school starting early this year, he's got himself tied in knots about now.

In any case, thanks for the feedback and suggestions, one and all.

I'll post here when we've ordered.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 5:10pm
You can't really go wrong either way.

Our pleasure and good luck

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 9:38am

You can't really go wrong either way.

Our pleasure and good luck

Thanks!

Just placed my order.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 9:48am
Congrats Let the torture begin

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 3:05pm

I know, right? I may be even more stoked about this than my son.

Go figure.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 3:35pm
Try not drive eachother crazy, now you are both gonna fight over pc time.

Have a look here and get the stuff you need

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:42am

Try not drive eachother crazy, now you are both gonna fight over pc time.

Pretty much a given, that.

Have a look here and get the stuff you need

Thanks! We'll get right on this.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 8:43am
My pleasure

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 1:25pm
Now that I've placed my order, the waiting just kills...

Haven't seen a status update since purchase, and so as not to chase around looking for the best point of contact (name) to get an estimated ship date, who do I send an email to for that purpose?

Thanks in advance for the assist!

~Mark
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 1:27pm
IF you are stuck on one stage for more then 5 business days then contact Alex, or your current status.

[email protected]

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Jul 2016 at 1:28pm

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 3:11pm
Thanks!

Today is business day 4, so I'll see what happens today and the next.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 4:42pm
Be sure to contact Alex anytime you like if you have any questions, he loves to answer them.

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 7:19pm
THX! Just shot him an email request for an estimated ship date.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 7:21pm
My pleasure and good luck

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 10:18am
Just wanted to update the thread and ask a "noob to Windows updates" question.

First off, I've had the rig for about a week. It's so AWESOME to be gaming on a PC again. The console has its uses, but this is another world.

Speaking of which, received my first Windows 7 update from our friends at MS and was wondering whether to selectively install or install the whole lot. If the forum mods think it appropriate, I can post my question to a new thread.

The updates are predominantly labeled "Windows Server," but not knowing the OS at all, really, I'm concerned about updating things that don't need it or that will disrupt my currently perfect operating environment.

Thanks in advance!

~Mark
AKDj2942Aj View Drop Down

Quote AKDj2942Aj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 10:31am
I always keep my OS fully updated for security and convenience reasons. I went from fully updated Windows 7, to 8, to 8.1, to 10, to 10 with Anniversary update. Haven't had a single issue at any point along the way.

Most OS issues/fear of new versions is just people who fear change or the minor inconvenience of learning something new. I find Windows 10 much faster than 7 and hate using 7 on my work laptop. If you're paranoid about security, update. If you're paranoid about Microsoft, don't update. I see no reason for anyone to be on Windows 7 these days and I've been working in IT/software my entire life.

Edited by ShadowXOR - 03 Aug 2016 at 10:34am

Quote marcosgrande Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by ShadowXOR

I always keep my OS fully updated for security and convenience reasons. I went from fully updated Windows 7, to 8, to 8.1, to 10, to 10 with Anniversary update. Haven't had a single issue at any point along the way.

Most OS issues/fear of new versions is just people who fear change or the minor inconvenience of learning something new. I find Windows 10 much faster than 7 and hate using 7 on my work laptop. If you're paranoid about security, update. If you're paranoid about Microsoft, don't update. I see no reason for anyone to be on Windows 7 these days and I've been working in IT/software my entire life.

Thanks! Appreciate your insight.

I would have gone with Win 10, but two of the games my son and I play do much better in the Win 7 environment. Lame, I know, but a short term solution until the games get the proper updates they need.
AKDj2942Aj View Drop Down

Quote AKDj2942Aj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:39am
Yes, that's the only time I recommend people stick with a certain OS, is when they know something affects them - good choice. Usually that's only 1% of people but it can often scare off others that the situation doesn't apply to.

I think once at work I had a Windows 7 update bug my Outlook, but I simply researched it, and easily rolled back that specific patch when I found it online. So I generally recommend updating, and if you have issues, you can pull the update which should be rare/never.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>