FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liquid-cooled video card?

Post Date: 2010-03-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zimbawan View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zimbawan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Liquid-cooled video card?
    Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 5:12pm
Do I need to liquid cool my video card? It was going to put me just above budget. I have already ordered the following rig but I'm not sure if I would have time to add it because, I would have to wait until the 1st until I got paid. Which also brings up another question. If I wanted to add this later could I order the matching part to liquid-cool the video card and at it myself later? Just wanted your thoughts.
Chassis Model: Digital Storm HailStorm (Black OPS Edition)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: !SALE: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player (Play Blu-Ray and Play DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color: White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Graphics Boost: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 5:53pm
Welcome to the forums Zimbawan.  In my opinion, liquid cooled gpu's is not a necessity.  The liquid cooling can be added to your gpu's later, however the liquid cooling that you add would not be covered under the warranty.  Something you may want to consider. 

What is the primary use of your system?  Gaming? Video editing?  What resolution will you have?  What is your budget and ticket number?  When did you place your order?

The configuration guru DST4ME will tell you that there are things in your configuration that you may not need depending upon what you will be using your rig for.  Hope this helps.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Maximus from Gladiator
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 5:56pm
what is the use of this pc? if its for gaming what res, you should have talked to us, this is not the best setup for your money.

nobody needs liquid cooling,unless you benchmark and judging by that 12GB you are not a benchmark-er.

I would change a lot of stuff in your build case its not the best way to config a system.

just my 2 cents.

like I said nobody needs liquid cooling so no you don't need LC on gpu.

by ordering matching parts, do you mean adding a second loop for the gpu? as in order a pump,rad,reservoir and etc? if yes then if you know what you are doing then yes you can add it later, if not, your first time there is gonna be some trial and error.

if you want us to tell you how to reconfig that build lets us know what the use of the pc is and if its gaming tell us what res your monitor can handle, we can give you better performance and maybe even save you money.
Zimbawan View Drop Down

Quote Zimbawan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 6:15pm
Well, I do more programming than gaming nowadays but I wanted it to be able to handle most any games I threw at it. With the monitor I'll be using at first, the res is 1920x1080 (getting it with the 24" Acer monitor - I think that is the res of it). I probably won't add the second loop for the gpu (it would be my first time hooking up a liquid-cooled system and I probably really don't need it like you said). Budget is around $4,300 and it was moved to stage 1 on fri (3 days ago). Ticket num: 394241. You're welcome to make any comments you like.

Edited by Zimbawan - 21 Mar 2010 at 6:34pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 6:34pm
cpu needs to be 920

psu needs to be corsair

hdd rule is:

HDD1 = fast drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

Don't fill up your HDD1 more then 50%, if think you will need more room for it then pick a bigger one.

now if you need a big drive then go with the 1TB.

do you really need 12GB of ram? if you know you will use it then go ahead but if not then with ram too much is not a good thing.

for your res all you need is 5870, you won't notice a difference from the 5970, and 2 x 5870 gives you better performance anyways but that and the 5970 is for 2560 x 1600 res, also you do know the 5970 is in internal cf so you actually have 1GB of ram just like the 5870, ram does not combine in cf/sli.

drop Zalman they will just make things loud.

Touch 2000 is pointless, you can't control all the fans with it and its temp are not accurate as softwares like realtemp and [URL=http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?catid=52&id=5536]HWMonitor[/URL.

drop the gpu boost you will see no gains from it, its a modest oc.

drop the boost on os, it will make no difference to apps and games, and you may endup needing one of the services.

go with win7 pro so you have xp mode.

for monitors you want an ips panel like the Dell UltraSharp U2410, its an ips panel which means it has better picture quality, the monitors here are tn panels and they have less picture quality.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Mar 2010 at 6:36pm
Zimbawan View Drop Down

Quote Zimbawan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 7:47pm
Thanks for the comments! I hope it's not too late. I am making most of those changes.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 8:08pm
good decision, while you are at it, you should change your case to haf 932, its got great airflow stock, if not the corsair is a great case also, but IMO its better for systems that have LC on cpu/gpu.

call them first thing monday morning and eamil them today letting them know you want to change your order.

call Sarah at 1-866-817-8676 Extension: 115 and she will set you up

but today email them:

[email protected]

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Mar 2010 at 8:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply