FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nvidia GTX 480 or ATI Radeon HD 5970 ???

Post Date: 2010-04-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VideCorSpoon View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Nvidia GTX 480 or ATI Radeon HD 5970 ???
    Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 6:02pm
Hi all, I have a very urgent question.  My system is currently in the process of being built (in stage 3 right now).  However, I am having doubts as to the best video cards to have installed in the machine.

I originally opted for the 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5Gb video cards and that is the selction I chose when I put my order in.  However, the more I read into video cards, the more it sounds like the 2x Crossfire Quad ATI Radeon HD 5970 2 GB would be a lot better.

I read that the ATI cards have better performance, better heat/energy/etc than the GTX 480.  One of the main factors from what I understand is because there are 2 GPU's per card in just one ATI card.

Honestly, I really don't know much about it, but what would be the most optimal thing to do?  Should I keep the GTX 480 cards or change to the ATI cards?  Are the ATI cards overkill?  Are the GTX 480 cards too loud or too hot?  Would the fact that I have the stage 6 cooling option negate any drawbacks to the GTX 480 cards?

I would really appreciate comparison facts between the two cards and such as well to help me better make up my mind.

------------------------------This is my current configuration------------------------------

Chassis Model: Digital Storm HailStorm (Black OPS Edition)
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: !SALE: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: External USB Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (150GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color: Black Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 16 Apr 2010 at 6:06pm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 6:17pm
2 5970's = quad-fire.... pass
2 GTX 480's = great setup.
right now Crossfire is scaling about 10% better than SLI, so 2 5870's are very close to 2 GTX 480's, on average. 3 5870's seem to be a bit better than 3 GTX 480's, but I imagine SLI scaling will improve with new drivers, changing this whole argument. lol
The GTX 480 is a great card, but the next revision will really let this new architecture shine...6 months from now. so it is a tough call.. I went through this decision a while back, and was on both sides of the fence many times.
so bottom line, 2 5870's = good system, 2 GTX 480's will be a bit more powerful, but about $200.00 more, 2 5970's.. less powerful, lots more money, lots of problems..
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 1:50am
if you have to go now, I say go sli 480 or sli 5870, if you can wait the next revision of 480 as mentioned should be better.

I like the 480 better myself.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Apr 2010 at 1:50am

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 11:41am
@ justin.kerr, now as I understand from what you have said, if I did opt for x2 ATI 5970's, I would have a quad fire setup.  Is this because of the two gpus per card?  I got an email back from Sarah at customer support and she told me that it was still possible at this point to change the  cards for the ATI's.  However, she also mentioned that I would have to upgrade some of the things I opted for in order to accommodate the ATI gpu's, like the water cooling system.  Does each ATI card take up two slots?  If this is the case, am I limited to two cards (or essentially, is that why they do not offer a x3 5970 option?

I think for now I may just stay with the x2 GTX 480's like you and DST4ME suggest because I don't know if it would be worth the further expense (in accessories) to have the moderate bump in performance.  I priced out the additional expense to $1100, which doesn't make any sense at all.

Additionally, perhaps it would be better just to add an additional 480 card.  What are the possibilities for a x3 GTX 480 setup?  One thing I am concerned about is the added energy consumption.

@DST4ME and @justin.kerr, you guys mention that there is going to be a better version of the 480 coming out.  When do you suppose this will happen and how much better will the cards be compared to the 480's.  It seems to me that moore's law (or at least the fundamental principles) do not seem to apply to video cards.  Reading into the ATI/Nvidia competition, the new hardware coming out is extremely close in release dates.  I'm also very surprised to find out how the supply/demand of these video cards change every so often and actually appreciate the price of some of these cards.

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 17 Apr 2010 at 11:41am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:38pm
the 5970 card kinda sux, but two of them really sux, that why I said do not do them in the earlier post, stay away, lots of problems... thought I was clear. lol

I told you when the better revision was going to come out in my earlier post.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:18pm
5970 is in internal sli, so one card is actually giving you cf, 2 of them is giving you quad fire.

the revisions should be out in 6 month based on what justin said.

unless you are running 2560 x 1600 res, 2 x 480 or 2 x 5870 is pure overkill and a waste, so 3 of them would be even more foolish.

if you are at 2560 x 1600 then stick with the 2 x 480.

if you are 1900 x 1200, just go with one 480 and drop one in later if you see you need it, its real easy.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Apr 2010 at 6:19pm

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 7:27pm
DST4ME, my current setup is two 1980 x 1050 Hp monitors and a 47 inch LCD TV (currently attached to a splitter).  Honestly, I never had a problem running games and HD movies on them all at once, especially when I am using the TV as my primary monitor, but maybe I am not noticing any degradation in quality (current card is a GeForce 9800 GT). 

Check out my current setup in the office (the computer is hidden in the back under the desk.

I suppose the main thing I want to do is make all of this as future proof as possible, which is why I was thinking about the ATI setup instead of the 480's (since it may be more advanced = longer relevancy) After so many years of buying computers every other year, it gets frustrating.

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 17 Apr 2010 at 7:27pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 9:19pm
VideCorSpoon running HD movies and play games are a world apart.

1. when we say you need 2 x 480 or 2 x 5870 for 1900 x 1200 rs, what we mean is that if you want to play games at highest settings and high aa and af then you need that setup, otherwise just about any card can play HD movies.

2. there is no such thing as future proofing, there is such a thing as wasting your money on things you don't need now, instead of getting what you need now and then simply adding whatever else you need later.

in short, adding one 480 now, and saving the other $500 for 3 years from now to spend on a then new gpu that will probably kill 2 x 480 is the closest one comes to future proof, you don't need to buy a new pc when all you need is a more powerful gpu, what you do is get a good enough psu to support future upgrades, and then instead of buying a new pc you just spend very little and upgrade it.

3. I'm not sure where you got the idea that ati maybe more advanced and have longer relevancy, specially since nvidia is the one that offers 3D and tessellation which are both going to be the future of gaming, and many other things IMHO.

On a different note you telling me that you never had a problem running HD movies with your 9800gt, makes me thing this pc is not for gaming and more for watching movies, if that is the case then even 1 x 480 or 1 x 5870 is super overkill.

hope all that helps.

nice clean setup btw.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Apr 2010 at 9:19pm

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 9:51pm
I suppose I am looking at it more as though I would have additional benefit by getting the most advanced card now so that it would last me the longest in the grander scheme of things (my idea of so-called future proofing).  Last thing I want is to invest in hardware half way through its relevancy (and by this, I mean it being a competitive, top contending card).   My thoughts were that (based off of the reviews that I have read on the ATI card) that it is a more advanced GPU.  I would suppose now that that is not the case.  The GTX 480 is obviously the better, more advanced card from what I have been told within the context of this thread.  So that really does settle that, the GTX 480’s stay in the system.  Huzzzah!

On the different note, I said I have no problem running my game and the HD movie at the same time (on different screens).  In this case, I really haven’t had that much trouble with picture quality as far as I can tell (but I can tell the system is a lot slower in the process).  I just hope this system I am getting will make things a lot faster, better quality, etc.  (Which it most likely will).  

I very much appreciate yours and justin.kerrs thoughts on the matter!  Thanks again!

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 17 Apr 2010 at 9:52pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 10:04pm
Well let me say that each card has its own benefits, I would not say one is more advanced then the other, however when it comes to 3D and tessellation the nvidia is more advanced.

you must be playing some old games or something or your settings in the games are low, cause if you try to play far cry2 for example with 8xa and 16x af, at 1900 x 1200 that 9800 would not be able to pull it off or if it did it would be very slow and lagging, and if the game is dx11 then forget about it.

but again if all the games you play are fine with a 9800 then a single 480 or 5870 would be more then enough, cause their performance is like 3 or 4 x 9800 depending on the game:

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 8:24pm
I’m curious to hear anyone’s thoughts on the heat and power consumptions numbers on the two graphics cards.  I was reading the overview of the GTX 480 (SLI config) and they had a detailed analysis of the power consumptions in idle, average, peak, and maximum consumption.   I kinda freaked out for a second because I noticed that the GTX 480 SLI consumed up to 624 watts at maximum consumption (rare, but still… damn.)  Here is the link to the article I was reading;

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_480_SLI/26.html

The superficial numbers for the ATI HD 5970 and the GTX 480 are as follows;

(single) ATI HD 5970

IDLE: 39 W
AVERAGE: 178 W
PEAK:  211 W
MAXIMUM: 304 W

(single) GTX 480
IDLE: 54 W
AVERAGE:223 W
PEAK: 257 W
MAXIMUM: 320 W

(sli) GTX 480
IDLE: 103 W
AVERAGE: 431 W
PEAK: 472 W
MAXIMUM: 624 W

In my own case, given (roughly) the options I opted for in conjunction with the GTX 480 sli configuration, you end up reasonably using around 500-750Wh of electricity.  Over the course of a month, that is (accounting for .1488 per 500 Kwh where I am) around 82.75 a month ($993.24 per year) not including additional fees.  Seems a bit steep to me.

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 18 Apr 2010 at 8:25pm
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 10:23pm
id just go for 1 or 2 5870's
less money, lower temps, less power consumption

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 10:49pm
yes, 5970 ATM sux butt.

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 11:31pm
I'm still not sure why the 5970 fails to pass muster compared to the GTX 480.  It seems to me based on the statistics that some of these reviews have,the 5970 is a bit more superior to the 480.  I see where DST4ME can rightly assert 3D and tessellation are a bit better than the 5970... and some youtube videos showing the differences between the two cards in regards to this are somewhat evident.  I wonder though if the 5970 tips the scales more in its favor in the amalgamation of smaller differences than the few major, slightly higher differences.    
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:10am
I tell you why, first, the 5970 is not a single card, its in internal cf exposing you to cf bugs. its limited to 1GB of vram, cause each gpu has 1GB of ram, the 480 is a single card with lots of power and 1.5GB of ram.

anytime you can get what you need from a single card solution, thats the best choice, cause you get what you need and no sli/cf bugs.

on top of that if you ever upgrade to 2 x 5970 you are at quad cf, in which scaling is not as good as dual/tri sli.

so 3 x 480 or 3 x 5870 would do better then quad cf 2 x 5970.

I say go with 2 x 480, its more then you would need, Plus I have seen all the reviews saying temps are high but I have lately been looking at some other forums where users with sli 480 are saying their temps are not anywhere near the reported temps, so it makes me think about the temps a bit.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Apr 2010 at 1:13am
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:43am
Originally posted by VideCorSpoon

I’m curious to hear anyone’s thoughts on the heat and power consumptions numbers on the two graphics cards.  I was reading the overview of the GTX 480 (SLI config) and they had a detailed analysis of the power consumptions in idle, average, peak, and maximum consumption.   I kinda freaked out for a second because I noticed that the GTX 480 SLI consumed up to 624 watts at maximum consumption (rare, but still… damn.)  Here is the link to the article I was reading;

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_480_SLI/26.html

The superficial numbers for the ATI HD 5970 and the GTX 480 are as follows;

(single) ATI HD 5970

IDLE: 39 W
AVERAGE: 178 W
PEAK:  211 W
MAXIMUM: 304 W

(single) GTX 480
IDLE: 54 W
AVERAGE:223 W
PEAK: 257 W
MAXIMUM: 320 W

(sli) GTX 480
IDLE: 103 W
AVERAGE: 431 W
PEAK: 472 W
MAXIMUM: 624 W

In my own case, given (roughly) the options I opted for in conjunction with the GTX 480 sli configuration, you end up reasonably using around 500-750Wh of electricity.  Over the course of a month, that is (accounting for .1488 per 500 Kwh where I am) around 82.75 a month ($993.24 per year) not including additional fees.  Seems a bit steep to me.

im a huge nvidia fan but the power consumption and temps the new 400 series cards are giving off compared to what ATI can do with less power/less heat and less money is going to get people thinking fast.  No matter what they say about the cards being able to handle the temps running full load at 90C some people just wont get on board with it.  Also lets not forget nvidia is a ways behind ATI offering DX 11 cards let alone mainstream DX 11.  Im still not going to own a ATI card any time soon but if your not as in love with nvidia as i am its something to consider.  In reference to your power bill.. if your that concerned about spending that much money on a power bill i would look at much money your going to be spending on a system lol....

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 19 Apr 2010 at 1:45am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:51am
Isn't the power difference gonna endup like $80 bucks a year?
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 2:18am
money is money
plus the money you save on the actual card itself, and you could get a nice upgrade

i think it just comes down to if your willing to spend or if you have the extra $100
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 5:15am
well $80 a year is not even $10 a month so I don't think many will worry about $6 a month, there are games like gta4 that the 480 can max out that the 5870 can't. also in future games with more tessellation, nvidia will come out on top, so its not just a matter of willing to spend, its more a matter of do have use for it.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 4:14pm
I'm glad somebody has finally dared to talk power consumption re: GTX 480's. It's not just money, power is a resource not to be wasted, isn't it? Why would you want to overkill current games with 2x 480's if it's a waste of money AND power? P*ss away maybe 2-300 watts/hour for framerates you can't see? I say get one card of your choice now, and drop in another, or upgrade the single card when it makes sense. I don't go around hugging trees, but I hate waste, and it just seems to me it makes no sense to burn oil so a legion of gamers can boast SLI they don't need...yet.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 5:30pm
he won't budge and wants to have 2 gpus and is not comfortable with adding another himself. So if you read my earlier post I tried to point the waste of his own money to him.

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 5:45pm
I also understand (though I have no idea as to whether or not it can actually be done until I get the system myself) that you can turn off the SLI configuration and run on one GTX 480 card if you so chose.  I believe it was actually in the article previously posted (or another one), but if done this way, you work off the single GTX 480 in whatever power consumption mode and the second card in idle power consumption (since it consumes power even though it is not in use).   To me, if I were completely preoccupied with saving energy this would seem like the best thing to do.   Honestly, considering how much energy I spend on a computer that consumes around 300 Wh, I agree with DST4ME in that the price is not that much in the end.  I just thought the energy consumption in particular was surprising… but if you pay $5k for a computer, you should be able to spend the money to power it as well.

But if I were thinking “green,” it would seem more wasteful to spend a lot of money on an underpowered system (i.e. opting for one card instead of two in my case)  rather than one that consumes a little bit more power but is able to provide you with a longer operational life span instead of going out and continually buying upgrades (which is inevitable but important to limit as much as possible).  It’s like the dilemma with the Toyota prius… you buy a prius under the pretense of saving energy and consuming less oil, but in actuality, you pollute the world twice over compared to a gas guzzler in the methods in which the car is manufactured, transported, etc.    LOL!  My rationalization for higher energy consumption.  

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

he won't budge and wants to have 2 gpus and is not comfortable with adding another himself. So if you read my earlier post I tried to point the waste of his own money to him.

I probably won’t budge as far as wanting 2 GPU’s.  Money isn’t the problem, it’s more important that I have what I want for as long as I want it for.  Honestly, when I first started pricing out the computer options, I would have opted for 3 480’s if I had the option.  However, even regards to that, even I understand that that would have been too much.  2 480’s seem fine.  The prevalent issue now is trying to find the most efficient, powerful, and longer lasting energizer..erm… video card.   Based off the advice I have received here as well as the additional research I have done on the internet, I am satisfied with my choice.  BTW, what activities other than games would necessitate having 2 or more GPU's?  I mentioned earlier that I run adobe programs and some other digital animation software from time to time.  Would those just require a solitary 480?

But as far as not being comfortable with adding an additional video card myself, I really don’t (nor would I suspect a majority of other customers to DS) want to bother adding another card down the way as well as altering the liquid cooling system.  If I did feel comfortable with it (as well as having the time to do it), I would be building the computer myself rather than paying the good people at Digital Storm to do it for me.  But I’m sure Digital Storm appreciates my business as much as I appreciate the services they provide.

I definitely appreciate the advice though on many of these issues.  Its always best to refer to others as to how best to proceed, but in the end, only the individual knows what they really need.

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 19 Apr 2010 at 6:05pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 6:07pm
Well some things you are right but some things you are wrong, for example I agree that somebody that spends 5 grand on a pc won't care about extra power cost.

but you are wrong to think that most users don't upgrade their pcs, the reason most of us come to DS to shop is because you can add/change ram/gpu/hdd/and other stuff, you see adding gpu/ram/hdd is so easy that I can teach a 12 yearold that has never seen a pc, to do it in 5 mintues. adding a gpu is much easier then learning how to use your a digital camera, if you ever had to setup/connect your own wii/ps/xbox, then you can add a gpu/ram/hdd to a pc.

we come here to get out pc cause we can get parts which then later allow us to upgrade/add parts down the road, it is this factor that sets DS apart from Dell/HP/etc.

but at the end I'm just sharing info, you do what you think is right for you and makes you happy.

oh btw you can disable sli in nvidia control panel and remove the sli bridge, but unless you unplug the card, it is still sitting there running, and if you can unplug a power cord from a gpu, then you can install a gpu, cause that is all it takes, you place it in the pci slot and you connect the power cables, done, gpu installed.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Apr 2010 at 6:10pm

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 6:26pm
DST4ME, are you talking about the level of customizability that you can achieve going through DS compared to other companies or are you saying that the customer is able to add/change hardware further on down the road through DS?  I had thought it was a onetime purchase thing.  That would be great if that were the case because I had no idea that was even possible.

But as far as the disabling the second GPU is concerned, I understood that you could actually go through an application and literally opt out of the sli setup, essentially leaving the second GPU dormant (though still using an idle level of power).  Is this actually possible?

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 19 Apr 2010 at 6:27pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 6:38pm
Yeh, the LC is a game changer for me also. I hadn't noticed that before. If you are shy about a video card, DIY on the cooler upgrade would turn your liver white. Clown
I could do it with a gun to my head but I wouldn't volunteer. Wacko
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 7:29pm
As I said, yes you can disable sli in the control panel but you still leaving the card running at 210w idle, thats total waste of money and energy, since the existence of that card is totally irrelevant in the system.

As for upgrades, I'm saying because we can pick and choose our own parts, 99% of us, choose parts that allows us to to add/change hardware in the future, be it through DS or us doing it ourselves, 99% of us will do gpu/HDD/ram upgrades ourselves, but we have the options of paying more and having DS do it.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Apr 2010 at 7:30pm
Rmat56 View Drop Down

Quote Rmat56 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 12:30am

In My Opinion from lurking here for almost a year and purchasing one DS PC for a family member and about to purchase another for myself..

The hardware side of PCs are really easy and like DST4ME said could be tought to a 12 yr old... it is the integration of the software that is why alot of people buy from DS as well as their warrenty and customer support. What other company would help you over a forum to OC your CPU and help you with things that are not warrenty issues. Try asking Dell what brand componants are in the Alienware comps and how to OC a i7 930... If you can understand the tech uyou just spent 4 hours trying to reach.

Just my opinon..

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 10:46am
Thought this might be interesting for anyone interested in the max power consumption of a 3-way sli gtx 480 (1 Kw in this guys case) and  the sound those cards generate (which reached 67 Db).  Of course, this is non-scientific.  Honestly, I'm very glad I opted for the stage 6 cooling if it takes the Db down at least a quarter of what this demonstration shows (reliant on GPU fans).  I read a few customer reviews and I understood the system would be a little on the loud side but wow, sounds awesome... like a jet engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jtEg3RcDA

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 22 Apr 2010 at 10:51am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 2:55pm
well tri cf/sli anything is going to be loud as hell under load.

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 3:36pm
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly how much of a difference the stage 6 cooling option from DS makes in regards to cooling a GPU?  Is it a dramatic difference compared to air cooling or a moderate difference?  Minimal?  And also, what is the specific brand that DS uses for their water cooling products?
Ben View Drop Down

Quote Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 4:29pm
I highly recommend you use ATI cards over Nvidia due to a very important reason - I own AMD stock. Thumbs%20Down
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Ben

I highly recommend you use ATI cards over Nvidia due to a very important reason - I own AMD stock. Thumbs%20Down

at least you are honest

Originally posted by VideCorSpoon

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly how much of a difference the stage 6 cooling option from DS makes in regards to cooling a GPU?  Is it a dramatic difference compared to air cooling or a moderate difference?  Minimal?  And also, what is the specific brand that DS uses for their water cooling products?

LC depends on the surroundings but it should be around 10c I think with a good LC system vs air, but its only needed if one wants to oc the card or just wants lower temps on gpu.

DS uses different parts from different companies, so its not one place.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Apr 2010 at 4:36pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 5:05pm
liquid cooled GPUs should run very cool. most GPU's on air run 75C-95C under max load, A good liquid cooled system will keep them under 40C and a decent one will keep them under 50, and a really poor one will keep them under 60C
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 5:20pm
are those drunken monkey temps?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>