Boot HDD Swapping?

Post Date: 2010-05-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Boot HDD Swapping?
    Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:53pm
Hey, just wondering, is it possible to take the boot disk of one HDD and boot it from another system? I meant like, well, I plan on upgrading to an SSD in the future, and most conveniently come in a 2.5" form. Soo, I was wondering, I'll probably get a better laptop in the future, would I be able to just pop this into the laptop and boot right from there? The laptop would be running a i7 720QM and the main computer would run a i7 920, and the laptop would have 8GB of DDR3 1066Mhz RAM, the main 6GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:51am
like taking your windows 7 and moving the hdd to a vista computer and having 7. yes, it would work, all the bios (clock, hardware, etc) is in the motherboard, but you will have to install drivers on the 2nd system. i did this to my vista computer with a 98 hdd. i bet the OS was like -- wtf, over 1 gig of cpu power, over 512 mb of ram, I DONT WANT TO LEAVE!!
steam friends is kainhall
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:37pm
well, yes and no. my main has windows 7 on it, the laptop i may be getting will have 7 also preinstalled, witha second hdd in raid 0.  im planning to just disable raid, image the boot os and probably format it for extra swappable storage. then i'd just pop the hdds back and forth between my main, having both system's drivers coexisting on the boot drive.

only thing i have to ask is whether ATI and nVidia drivers can coexist. my main runs dual 9600 GTs in SLI, while my future laptop will run a Radeon 5870M.

oh, and for reference, the laptop i'm looking at is an Asus G73JH
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply