FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Calling for dragoonseal!

Post Date: 2010-10-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mr. View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Calling for dragoonseal!
    Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 4:16pm
Hey,

So i have an Intel SSD 80G and a WD 64cache hdd. I know i should connect the ssd through reg sata 2 but would the WD improve performance by connecting that one through sata 3?

Also what should i do for the ssd? as in i know theres the trim function and thats about all i remember, but like how do i know that that is running and what else should i do to my pc so that the ssd is working to its fullest? i suck at wording, hope you understand me

Thanks!
Mr.
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 4:35pm
Check out intels SSD new users guide for a couple of tips on thing you can do to optimize the drive
http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031549.htm
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 4:46pm
Thanks JJJJ! 
Mr.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Mr.

So i have an Intel SSD 80G and a WD 64cache hdd. I know i should connect the ssd through reg sata 2 but would the WD improve performance by connecting that one through sata 3?

Conventional HDD performance will be indistinguishable between the two.

Also what should i do for the ssd? as in i know theres the trim function and thats about all i remember, but like how do i know that that is running and what else should i do to my pc so that the ssd is working to its fullest? i suck at wording, hope you understand me

It's an Intel SSD, you don't really need to do anything other than make sure defrag is disabled (if Windows 7 is installed on it, it will do so automatically).

But if you are bored and want to squeeze more performance out of it, start with the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software (9.6 currently. There is a beta for 10.0 floating with great performance, but I don't like the idea of using a beta driver for a SSD/HDD, that is just asking for trouble). Once installed, under the Manage options, click Advanced and enable Write-back cache.

Secondly install the newly released Intel SSD Toolbox 2.0, which now has a System Configuration Tuner that basically checks your system for any optimizations that they recommend and asks if you would like to change them (namely the things that JJJJ linked to, like Superfetch disabling and the like, but automated).

Beyond that, I would disable Windows Search Indexing and Restore Point features. Search indexing is pointless on an SSD and Windows' excessive restore point backups are actually detrimental to SSD performance (not Intel specific), not to mention they start to quickly take up a lot of precious SSD space.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 5:31pm
Thanks Dragoon, ill let you guys know if i run into anythin, gonna do all this when my gpu comes. got a defective one x.x 

Edited by Mr. - 05 Oct 2010 at 5:32pm
Mr.
 Post Reply Post Reply