FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SSD or no?

Post Date: 2010-10-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rodgeryng View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rodgeryng Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SSD or no?
    Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 6:29pm
Well, do I go for an SSD for the OS or no?  I will definately have a second 1TB drive for pictures but am unsure about the main drive.  Read somewhere that the SSD drives might not last as long as traditional drives?  Seems a bit counter intuitive to me...thought they would be more stable.

I keep a computer for @4+ years as my main before passing it down the line.  The unit I am typing on now is about that old with original hard drives.  Would expect to do the same with the next computer.

maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:47pm
With the SSD it will improve loading times and saving times for pretty much everything. Aditionally someone posted that it only took 15 seconds to boot up on a ssd which is amazing since it takes 8 minutes to boot windows 7 on my crappy laptop right now.
SSDs are shock proof so they probably can last for a very long time. from what i have found there are no studys yet since they are so new but they should be able to last much longer then hdds. 4 years is fine should last a while longer then that.
Steam:pcmaster160
AmbientChong11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:10pm

MTBF for SSDs are about 1000000 hours, maybe more or less, but these aren't in real-time. Don't worry about it failing within 4+ years.

SSD for the OS and any intensive apps.

HDD for files, music, photos, and etc.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by AmbientChong11

MTBF for SSDs are about 1000000 hours, maybe more or less, but these aren't in real-time. Don't worry about it failing within 4+ years.
SSD for the OS and any intensive apps.

G2 Intel SSDs are rated at 1,200,000 hours MTBF. Last I checked, 1TB HDDs are rated at 500,000 hours MTBF.

The recently released (a week ago) specs for the new G3 Intel SSDs coming out are listed as having 4 times the lifespan of G2 models.

You definitely don't have to worry about modern SSD lifespans, they are much more reliable than mechanical HDDs.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 11:58pm
Is there a release date yet on the intel g3 ssd?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 12:33am
Originally posted by maxyme

Is there a release date yet on the intel g3 ssd?

Same as it has been for months and months. Q4 2010 - Q1 2011.
Lilim
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 12:46am
Thanks. Somehow missed it. What's the vest site to keep up to date with PC hardware tech? Prefferably one with a feed? Thanks.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 12:52am
I use MaximumPC and Tom's Hardware.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 4:49pm
thanks
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 4:56pm
MaximumPC FTW  Hahaha  I like them.  I also Like CPU.

If the G3 SSD's come out before DSO releases the Signature build, Ill use a small one for OS and a BIG one for the games and apps.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by MagiK

If the G3 SSD's come out before DSO releases the Signature build, Ill use a small one for OS and a BIG one for the games and apps.

G2 Intel SSDs don't noticeably degrade in performance when filled (minor write speed hit if stuffed full), The G3 models should have even less of an issue with that since it looks like they will have a lot more over partitioned space.

Instead of the highest possible out of the box performance scores Intel seems to be instead going the route of reliability and consistent performance. The G2s are already great at this, it really takes serious effort to hamper their performance in any meaningful way, so the G3s should be downright outstanding in that regard, keeping out of the box performance almost no matter what you do to them.

So I wouldn't bother with a small one for OS, just use one big one for OS/apps/games.
Lilim
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 5:22pm
As usual, Dragoonseal is spot on.

Intel has publically stated that the G3's are focused on getting a larger population to adopt/adapt to SSD's.
The performance will be good, and have good wear characteristics, and also maintain themselves very well, and at 1/2 the cost.. those are the goals of the G3.
I imagine they will have a higher performance model coming soon, but for most users a 160-320 Gb Intel SSD will be vastly faster than what they have been using, and gaining another few percentage points in performance would never be noticed.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 5:28pm
I agree with the technical reasoning you are using but I have this irrational desire....no NEED to keep things separate.  I want the OS alone on a smaller drive
Games on a second drive (a 600GB G3 SSD would be perfect) and User files/documents/pictures etc on one storage drive and Video on a 4th......

I seem to be really into compartmentalizing things...might come from my Intelligence service years...I dont know ...I know its abnormal, but it is the weirdness I call me  Hahaha

(Oh yeah reliability is far more important to me than bleeding edge performance from the SSD's or any hdd for that matter)

Edited by MagiK - 12 Oct 2010 at 5:30pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 6:58pm
But the problem with that is that smaller SSDs are slower, and/or lose performance easier or faster. Write speed will be the most noticeably affected, but go small enough and even read speeds will start to nose dive.

One of the biggest secrets of SSD speeds are their highly parallel nature. They have many NAND chips all working together like a miniature RAID array, with the SSD controller tying them all together (and usually being the main bottleneck). Take an 80GB Intel SSD for example, it is a 10 channel drive. That means it has 10 NAND chips of 8GB working in parallel. The 40GB model is only 5 channel and noticeably slower in a lot of regards, capping out at 170MB/s sequential read speeds (vs 250MB/s) and 40MB/s write speeds (vs 80MB/s), as it only has 5 NAND chips working in parallel.

On top of this the smaller SSDs usually have a lot less over provisioned spaced for wear leveling and keeping performance up, so their performance can drop quicker with use and when you fill them up.

All in all you'd be better off just going with one big SSD instead of trying to stuff the OS onto a little one.
Lilim
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 7:16am
Our definition of "small" is somewhat different  Hahaha  I will be using the 160GB Intel X25M unless the G3 line is available first... I know I know, way way overkill for OS functions but there you have it, its the way I roll.  Better too much than too little.

Edited by MagiK - 13 Oct 2010 at 7:17am
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:31am
My wife has a new Alienware $2500 system, I had a off the shelf HP (that I stuck an ATI 5850 in after freeing up power by removing the two hard drives and dropping in an 256 MB Corsair P256 SSD). My system boot faster than hers and she has a Raid 0 10,000 RPM drive array. I would laugh because when we played MMOs together and we went to a loading screen, my crappy system would beat hers into the area. Sure, she smoked me on frame rates, but women typically don't care about frame rates (at least my wife doesn't), they just see boot / loading times.

Of course now I have a my DS system as of last Thursday (with an Intel 80 GB SSD (DragoonSeal wouldn't let me put a non-Intel in there) Big%20Smile , so now I smoke her in frame rates too! I need to move over my P256 to my DS, but not in a hurry as it would just be for storage.

I guess my rambling point is: SSD or no? YES YES YES
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:32am
FYI, my DS system boots all the way to useable desktop in about 25 seconds.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 1:51am
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

But the problem with that is that smaller SSDs are slower, and/or lose performance easier or faster. Write speed will be the most noticeably affected, but go small enough and even read speeds will start to nose dive.

One of the biggest secrets of SSD speeds are their highly parallel nature. They have many NAND chips all working together like a miniature RAID array, with the SSD controller tying them all together (and usually being the main bottleneck). Take an 80GB Intel SSD for example, it is a 10 channel drive. That means it has 10 NAND chips of 8GB working in parallel. The 40GB model is only 5 channel and noticeably slower in a lot of regards, capping out at 170MB/s sequential read speeds (vs 250MB/s) and 40MB/s write speeds (vs 80MB/s), as it only has 5 NAND chips working in parallel.

On top of this the smaller SSDs usually have a lot less over provisioned spaced for wear leveling and keeping performance up, so their performance can drop quicker with use and when you fill them up.

All in all you'd be better off just going with one big SSD instead of trying to stuff the OS onto a little one.

How do you figure out how many channels, or NAND chips, there are? Is it xxGB/8 = Ychannels?

You made some good points.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by txfeinbergs

FYI, my DS system boots all the way to useable desktop in about 25 seconds.
here is a great program, to tell how long it takes to boot into windows.
called bootracer, post up your results.  Drogoonseal should use it, and start a thread, to see if anyone can beat him.

download here
 Post Reply Post Reply