Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Everything build
    Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 3:30am
Hi been reading the forums for awhile now. Im waiting on disability and have a hearing the 24th so ill know for sure when ill be ordering then.This is the build I have in mind.
Ticket Number: 455896
Total Price with Instant Savings: $6,827.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=455896

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD2001FASS)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD2001FASS)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: Hanns 28 inch (Widescreen) (Black) (High-Performance Gaming Display)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: Logitech X-540 5.1 System (Black Edition) (Includes Subwoofer)
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

I plan on playing WOW and shooters mostly but anything that looks fun ill play when Diablo
3 comes out ill play it. I dont want to have to upgrad any time soon so any thoughts or
suggestions will be appreciated. I expect my budget will be about 7k thanks

Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 3:55am
your build looks pretty similar to my dream build lol.

honestly most games can't even use quad cores yet... so getting a hex now is a waste of money. when it is needed you can always drop it in later at a reduced price. however you would have to ship it back and forth ect... it almost equals current costs with the purchase of the current and the new cpu... so in the end your choice.

in terms of mobo the evga 3x classi is a better board. it doesn't have usb/sata3 but you really don't want the fake usb/sata3 on that board. http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=11583 read that forum topic and you will see why.

good choice on the psu

the standard ram is very good there isn't a real need to get anything better. yes the timings are better on the one you chose but it really wont be noticeable to your eye.

you will get better performance from using a raid array instead of 1 large ssd. granted you will lose trim support but the intels do very well with out the trim support and the 2x 80gb drives will be faster then 1 160. just make sure you choose raid zero for speed. if your uncomfortable with raid no biggy. the only games that will see any performance from ssd are games that frequently load or have to load large maps. otherwise there wont be any difference in gaming performance just install, remove, load, scan, mainatin ect. also do not defrag a ssd you will harm it. tbh for a hdd set up i usually recommend either 40/80 gb ssd and a single 1tb drive. the 80 will be enough for os apps and a 4-6 games. 40 is os apps 2-3 games. the intels can reach 98% full with out very much performance degradation unlike the rest.

the 2tb drives have density issues with the waffer and have a higher failure rate then the 1tb drives. your better off using multiple 1tb drives. also do you really need so much storage?

gpu wise good choice you can run anywhere from 1920 x 1200 - 2560 x 1600 or even tri monitor setups will great fps.

the led fans don't cool as well as the stock ones... i would just have them add extra cathodes to ypur lighting system for cheaper. you can have as many colors as you want or as many cathodes as can fit in your case for 10 bucks each and they have their own switch. also the only way to turn off the light on the fans is to remove the led power cord. so the cathodes would be a more comfortable option with the ability to turn them on and off

the fan controller isn't needed it will be pretty useless to you with lc

you should get the free gpu overclock. free performance is always great. it is stable also with lc you could wind up with a really nice oc. generally dso does 7-10% on air systems but i don't know about lc tbh. also the gtx 580 runs a lot cooler then its older brother the 480 and it is quieter about 7db. every 10 db sound doubles so something 20 db is 2x as loud as 10db for ex.

get any accessories from your local shop they are not covered under dso warranty and you have to pay additional shipping for each item. if you don't mind and just chose for convenience i understand. you can also chek out www.newegg.com for great deals.

after those minor changes your set to order, looks liek you did your homework

Edited by Raif - 11 Nov 2010 at 4:02am
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 4:01am
Thanks for the inpot i think i may drop down to the 1tb drives I plan on storing alot of Movies to watch on my hd tv but i can always get external drive. Ill check into the mobo thanks again
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 4:03am
Originally posted by Raif

your build looks pretty similar to my dream build lol.

honestly most games can't even use quad cores yet... so getting a hex now is a waste of money. when it is needed you can always drop it in later at a reduced price. however you would have to ship it back and forth ect... it almost equals current costs with the purchase of the current and the new cpu... so in the end your choice.

in terms of mobo the evga 3x classi is a better board. it doesn't have usb/sata3 but you really don't want the fake usb/sata3 on that board. http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=11583 read that forum topic and you will see why.

good choice on the psu

the standard ram is very good there isn't a real need to get anything better. yes the timings are better on the one you chose but it really wont be noticeable to your eye.

you will get better performance from using a raid array instead of 1 large ssd. granted you will lose trim support but the intels do very well with out the trim support and the 2x 80gb drives will be faster then 1 160. just make sure you choose raid zero for speed. if your uncomfortable with raid no biggy. the only games that will see any performance from ssd are games that frequently load or have to load large maps. otherwise there wont be any difference in gaming performance just install, remove, load, scan, mainatin ect. also do not defrag a ssd you will harm it. tbh for a hdd set up i usually recommend either 40/80 gb ssd and a single 1tb drive. the 80 will be enough for os apps and a 4-6 games. 40 is os apps 2-3 games. the intels can reach 98% full with out very much performance degradation unlike the rest. you can always put your extra games on hdd2

the 2tb drives have density issues with the waffer and have a higher failure rate then the 1tb drives. your better off using multiple 1tb drives. also do you really need so much storage?

gpu wise good choice you can run anywhere from 1920 x 1200 - 2560 x 1600 or even tri monitor setups will great fps.

the led fans don't cool as well as the stock ones... i would just have them add extra cathodes to ypur lighting system for cheaper. you can have as many colors as you want or as many cathodes as can fit in your case for 10 bucks each and they have their own switch. also the only way to turn off the light on the fans is to remove the led power cord. so the cathodes would be a more comfortable option with the ability to turn them on and off

the fan controller isn't needed it will be pretty useless to you with lc

you should get the free gpu overclock. free performance is always great. it is stable also with lc you could wind up with a really nice oc. generally dso does 7-10% on air systems but i don't know about lc tbh. also the gtx 580 runs a lot cooler then its older brother the 480 and it is quieter about 7db. every 10 db sound doubles so something 20 db is 2x as loud as 10db for ex.

get any accessories from your local shop they are not covered under dso warranty and you have to pay additional shipping for each item. if you don't mind and just chose for convenience i understand. you can also chek out www.newegg.com for great deals.

after those minor changes your set to order, looks liek you did your homework
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 4:06am
honestly anticipate what you need hdd wise then add 25%... you can never say i wish i had less room. that case has room for 5 drives. so u can use 2 ssd and 3 hdd or 1 ssd and 4 hdd for ex. so with 4 hdd trives that equals your 4 tb u had before. and if you need more room externals are a good way to go. they are pretty good now at days almost reaching internal speeds. plus witht he ability to tkae them with you when you travel.

by the way it takes  along time to get paid on disability.... i am on it and my case was finished in may and it is now nov and i still have not gotten my settlement yet.

Edited by Raif - 11 Nov 2010 at 4:08am
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 4:23am
Man that sucks the gov. moves at its own speed. Im in Tennessee and everyone tells me its the hardest state to get approved in so im keeping my fingers crossed for the 24th but my lawyer says it looks good so we will seee Thanks again for the INPUT.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 4:34am
good luck man, listen to your laywer. lawyers very often don't lose the cases clients do by opening their mouth too much. if a lawyer is taking the case you have a good shot. a lawyer wont take a case it can't win.

anytime and the best of luck again.
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 4:38am
Ok I think this will be my set build. Still if you have comments feel free to post you might make me have to think lol!
Ticket Number: 456140
Total Price with Instant Savings: $6,857.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=456140

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Requires EATX Chassis) (Model: 141-BL-E760-A1)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 2x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: Hanns 28 inch (Widescreen) (Black) (High-Performance Gaming Display)
Speakers: Logitech X-540 5.1 System (Black Edition) (Includes Subwoofer)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 4:59am
Originally posted by gametamer

Ok I think this will be my set build. Still if you have comments feel free to post you might make me have to think lol!

Thoughts on how to save money on the build, or...?

Because you can configure a gaming rig that will get the same FPS for literately $4000 cheaper (around $2700), you just have less utility and "bling" factor.

It's because as far as gaming goes, there is a point of sharply diminishing returns.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 6:02am
Ok dra what would be your suggetion for around 3-4k?
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 7:45am
I suppose, if I were to be in a splurgy mood (which I apparently was, you may note Lilim is a similar setup):

Ticket #456155, Price: $3281

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: !PROMOTION CLEARANCE: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767) BACKORDERED ETA 11/30
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

That's a base anyway, if you really need some extra HDD space (4TB? What the hell?) or anything else then add those to it.

If you don't want to wait on the SLI3 then the FTW3 is extremely similar, though sadly +$80 more.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 10:58am
OK thanks dragoon if you read my original post you see im waiting on disability so it really depends on how much backpay I get so different options are always good. The hdd space is needed because i have a large audio and video collection I keep on my comp but i guess leaving off the extra drives is an option I could just get external ones. Thanks for the input!
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:29pm
Ok new question I have 2 cats and was wondering about cat hair. My old comp. I had to blow out the fans and cpu heat sink about every 2 months to get the dust and cat hair out because of over heating. The cats like sleeping next to the computer lol.With liquid cooling do I need a case with some kind of filter where the air enters the case or will the liquid cooling do away with most of the dust and hair build up?
Thanks for your thoughts in advance!!
 Post Reply Post Reply