Acronis cloning on laptop

Post Date: 2011-07-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bensonc120 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Acronis cloning on laptop
    Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 1:55am
http://kb.acronis.com/content/2931

For experienced Acronis cloning users, do I really have to instal the target drive into the laptop in order to make the cloned disk bootable?  That means I can't clone into an external drive and boot from it if I were cloning a laptop? 
Thermaltake Core
Intel Core i5-10400
MSI Z490
Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
Samsung M.2 SSD EVO 970 1TB
Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti
Asus PG278QR Monitor
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 1:10pm
laptop or not it makes no difference, it didn't for me, try and see if it does for you.

you can follow my clone guide here
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:03pm
I was able to successfully clone my primary drive into an external usb drive according to the program, but when I tried to boot up from the external drive it would not work.  I did use the bootable media to do the process.  Any idea what I may have missed?
Thermaltake Core
Intel Core i5-10400
MSI Z490
Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti
Asus PG278QR Monitor
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 2:53pm
If you look at my guide, you should never try to boot with source drive and original drive connected to the pc as it will destroy the mbr for the clone.

follow my guide clone again, this time don't boot from the external, you will need to remove teh source drive and put the clone in the laptop and then boot off of it, you can try it with the current clone but it very may n ot work as its mbr may have been deleted, so that I would clone again, but follow my guide step by step and read the whole things before you start.

tell me how it goes.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 4:43pm
What I actually did was remove the original drive and just boot off the external (cloned) drive without any internal drive in the laptop.  My external usb drive does not fit inside the laptop, I was thinking that if I have a bootable external drive this would keep me safe in case I ever get a hard drive failure on my original.  I can clone the external drive to my new internal.

I guess in order for this to work, my target drive has to also be a laptop hard drive.
Thermaltake Core
Intel Core i5-10400
MSI Z490
Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti
Asus PG278QR Monitor
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 5:04pm
Oh well there is a good possibility that the laptop does not support booting off of the usb, double check bios and make sure such option (if it exist) is enabled.

If you look at my guide I advise people to get and make their own externals (aka you chose the size/format/etc of the drive) for myself I have externals that support both 2.5" and 3.5" drive so for example for my laptop what I did was go out and buy another 2.5" hdd (fits in the laptop) and I put that hdd in my external enclosure, and clone to it. Now my clone is on the external 2.5", I can simply go and take it out and swap it with the one in the laptop real quick (in 1 minute) and then boot off of it.

so thats one route, if you have not looked yet, go back and look at the bottom of my guide with link and info to external enclosures and hdds (in your case you want a sata 2.5"), you just buy both, and then when you get them, its very easy putting the hdd inside the enclosure, all the wires are there, all you do is screw teh drive in and then that the connectors that are already there and connect them.

or

another way for you is to get another 2.5" drive, we will call this drive drive "X", once you clone to external, then swap original drive with drive X, then clone back to drive X from the external clone.

Now boot off of drive X, it should boot right up and act like the original drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply