FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PC gaming vs. Console Gaming (PS3, etc)

Post Date: 2012-01-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kane860 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC gaming vs. Console Gaming (PS3, etc)
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:31pm
Okay so obviously most of you all game on your PC if you are on this forum (I assume) and I am actually not a huge PC gamer (yet) since the only game I play at the moment is FSX.  I do however play all the popular games on the PS3 console.  My question is this.... why do you guys prefer to game on the PC versus the PS3 or XBOX or whatever?  I am probably wrong but I always that that when a game is developed such as Modern Warfare 3, it is the same across all platforms (PC, PS3, XBOX) in terms of the features of the game, the graphics and just the overall game play in general. 

I'd like to know your thoughts and I'd like you guys to tell me what makes PC gaming superior to console gaming.  I just invested several thousand dollars into this new digital storm computer so I am thinking that I mind as well try playing some new games on it and see what everyone loves about it.  I dont have sli gpu's right now so I would have to make due with my current config but if I did like the PC gaming more than PS3 gaming, I could always add another GTX570 for SLI.
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
LaneHayes View Drop Down

Quote LaneHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 4:15pm
Console is the best for social stuff in person, having your friends over etc. $400 every 4 years. It's very casual. Problem is it starts to get fairly dated fairly quickly, the XBOX 360 came out in 2006 i believe, the graphics in BF3 are a joke compared to my new computer.

PC is much more expensive to maintain but much better for single player experiences with console commands and keyboard inputs as well as FPS with a mouse.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:33pm
what are everyone elses thoughts?
System:
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 11:18pm
PC will always trump Console in terms of resolution and graphics quality. Console offers a larger potential multiplayer base for some games like the Call of Duty series but at the same time other games will always be more popular on the PC like Counter Strike or TF2. (CS will be launching on consoles this year but will never surpass PC).

There are some games where I prefer a console controller over a mouse and keyboard but PC technology has evolved along with consoles to the point where my console controller works with my PC. Games like Arkham City or GTA IV, I get much, much, much better graphics quality on my PC vs a 360 but I can still play them as intended using a 360 controller.

Consoles will always be limited because they have to keep their costs down. The PS3 launched starting at like $600 and no one bought it except the fanboys or people who wanted to resell it on eBay. It was rejected by console gamers strictly because of it's high price. But to many PC gamers $600 is nothing.

Personally I choose PC gaming over console as there is a billion more things I can do with my PC compared to a console and there is nothing a console can "do" that my PC can't do. The only thing a console offers is a larger multiplayer base for certain games, that's it.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 12:03am
PC always has better graphics, but I like to do my gaming on my xbox or ps3, shoot did I just say that outloud    

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Jan 2012 at 12:09am
Noethljr View Drop Down

Quote Noethljr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 9:55am
I would have to agree that Console game is very casual. For me I play PC games as well as Ps3 and find the computer games that I play are more involved than play on the PS3. I can just quickly play the ps3 play some BF3 or MW3. I spend a lot less money on PS3 being able to trade in games etc. also free online play is a plus. I also got a ps3 mainly for because at the time blu ray players were near the cost of a ps3 and it allowed me to do other things other than watch blu ray movies.
- Jeremy
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 9:59am
I play and enjoy both Big%20Smile

The most enjoyable gaming experiences I have ever had involved LAN parties for both consoles and PCs. The earliest I remember being Spectre and the most recent being a RDR session.

Edited by Tidgxor - 25 Jan 2012 at 10:01am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:56pm
My son plays both and prefers pc for more involved games like Fantasy RPg but likes console for a casual, sit back and shoot things up. 

I just play pc so no personal experience.

Console for a quick, easy play and pc's for more time and involvment.Big%20Smile
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 5:11pm
hmmm, thanks for all the feedback, keep em coming... I am curious to see what a game like MW3 or battlefield looks like on PC since I only play them on PS3.  But I dont want to spend another $60 on a game I already own for PS3.  Do PC games ever come out with demos that I could download and check out?
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:45pm
what are some good PC games I should consider getting that will work well on my specific rig   (3930k, GTX570 with NO SLI)

Doesnt matter if they are really old, I would like to maybe get one or two games just to try out.  The games I typically play on PS3 are the Call of Duty series, war games like battlefield, grand theft auto 4, resident evil.. stuff like that. 

Come to think of it, is there a GTA4 for PC?  I think I would love to try that out if there is.. gonna check online now
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:46pm
does anyone know if GTA4 will run well on my rig at max settings and give me great FPS?

Also can I use my PS3 controller to play PC games?

Edited by kane860 - 27 Jan 2012 at 4:48pm
System:
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 6:56pm
Yep, GTA4 has been out on PC for awhile now.

Yep, you should be able to run it. It eats *A LOT* of VRAM but you have the 2.5GB 570 so I think you will be ok. Overall, its a quirky game hardware wise, but I'm thinking you will be fine.

And yes, you can use a PS3 controller for PC, its not as straightforward plug and play like a 360 controller, but its certainly possible (I've done it). Check out MotionJoy, it has the drivers you need.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 8:31pm
what other games would work well with my rig?
System:
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 6:26am
Games I like are Civ 5, turn based for easy going gaming, Fallout 3 which is post-apocalypse first person shooter, Bioshock series are great sci-fi fun and will look great on your rig, Crysis series and Dragon Age series.  Some of these are real cheap now but still are fun.
You like FSX, if you want military flight sim DCS A10 and Blackshark have steep learning curves but are great for blowing things up  Awesome 

The list is endless.Big%20SmileBig%20Smile
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 6:50am
Just about any of them, you've got a beast Big%20Smile

Are there any particular genres you enjoy?
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 8:36am
thanks guys.. @tidgxor... yea I mentioned earlier that the games I typically play on PS3 are the call of duty series, battlefield, Grand theft Auto, resident evil, games like those... just curious to know what these type of games will look like on my PC as Ive always thought that the graphics and experience would be the same across all platforms since its the same game
System:
Savster View Drop Down

Quote Savster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 2:18pm
Your PC will easily handle just about any game you throw at it.  Not even Crysis 2 will beat it into submission, lol.  But anyhow, the reason I only use a PC is that my PC can do everything, including gaming.  And when it does game, it blows away a console any day of the week for graphics and fine-tuned control.  I never did see the reason to buy a separate console when I have a PC.  That would be like buying a PDA, a cell phone, and a digital camera when you could just simply get an iPhone! Confused%20Wink

kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 10:34am
hmmm so you guys think I can play a game like battlefield 3 or MW3 on max settings on my rig?  Keep in mind that I do not have SLI GPU's.. only running a single GTX570
System:
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:16pm
Right now I am the definition of a budget gamer on the PC. I have Nvidia 220 gs video card so my graphics setting for BFBC2 are rather low and not much better than a console. i still prefer the PC because of the mouse and keyboard. Plus i am directly in front of my 23" monitor. I just the the kb and mouse so much better than a controller for FPS games. Console is superior for sports games and platformers IMHO. But I like the shooters best so PC for me.

i'd also like to add that even with my pathertic video card BFBC2 still looks great.
Savster View Drop Down

Quote Savster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:28pm
Even a single gtx 570 is perfectly adequate for almost any game you put on your PC.  From the looks of your hardware that you have listed in your signature,  you're not going to have any problems.  Just get whatever games you want.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 5:57am
kane860....BF3 on Ultra with all settings maxed out might be a stretch.   My gtx560 plays it on high in the 50's fps and ultra in the 25-35 fps so your 570 would be about 20-30% better than that. 

Every rig is different so those are just general numbers, but even on high with aax4 and afx16, BF3 is great.  You don't have to MAX a game out to really enjoy it. 

Get BF3, you won't be sorry, at least fo MP, IMHO, single player campaign was too linear for me.  Great graphics, though.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Jan 2012 at 6:00am
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:57am
thanks guys for the feedback, I already have battlefield 3 for PS3 but I have not played it much yet as I usually play MW3 instead... so I may just get BF3 for PC too then mainly just to get a feel for what its like to game on the PC. 
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:13pm
so guys, check it out... Im freakin irritated... first let me say that in the past a couple years ago, I tried to install a game, I think it was battlefield, on my PC so I could check out how it was to game on the PC.  I had problems back then and couldnt get the game to play.  So I gave up.

Finally I got this awesome rig from DS... I then started this thread about gaming on the PC... then I finally gave in and bought my first PC game (other than FSX)... I bought Grand Theft Auto 4... its old but it was only $20 at target...

So I finally just finished the installation and tried to fire up the game.  What happens?  I get a mutha effin error message.  I get "GTA Fatal Error WS10" .... I mean, seriously?  This is one main reason I avoided gaming on the PC... I dont ever have issues like this on the PS3... so now wtf am I supposed to do?  I havent been able to find any working solutions on the internet.... man this irritates the crap out of me Upset
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:54pm
I was finally able to figure out a fix for the fatal error and have managed to get the game to start.  But I cannot figure out how to get my playstation 3 controller to work with the game.  How do I do this?  Or do I need to purchase a new gaming controller for the PC?  Man, if I was on my ps3 I would have been able to play for like an hour already...
System:
Hugo View Drop Down

Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:57pm
whait did you atleast verify that the game worked on windows 7??? or maybe c++ hasn't been installed... look your probleme on google and see if it's your pc or the game Big%20Smile
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:10pm
well guys, so far my pc gaming experience has been terrible.  After finally getting the game to start playing, the game skips like a bad dvd.  The frame rates are perfect for 2 seconds then skips... perfect for 3 seconds, then skips...and this is with the settings not even that high... does this mean that after all this money I spent on a PC, my computer cant even play this 4 year old game properly on medium settings? 

Oh yah, then finally after playing for 5 minutes, the game crashes my computer.  I mean, seriously?  PC gaming seems like nothing but freakin headaches, the only game so far I have not had real issues with is FSX. 
System:
Hugo View Drop Down

Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:13pm
well if you have problems with games it's probebly the game that has a probleme because with a gtx 560 i can play almost every games on high/ultra... so look on google if any other person have the same problem
Haf x Nvidia edition/evga gtx 560 2gb/i7 2600k/noctua Nh-D14/asus p8z68 deluxe/ fsp aurum gold 700w/wd caviar black 1 tb/patriot memory ddr3 2000MHz 8gb/Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:56pm
I downloaded the drivers for the PS3 controller from motionjoy and the computer recognizes the controller as I have configured it now.. but I still cannot get GTA4 to recognize the controller and allow myself to play with it. 

Also just played the game again for about 5 minutes... actually started enjoying it too... then of course, it crashed.  Again..  Frustrated
System:
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:37am
Hi Kane,

I think that the comments about gaming on the computer were made thinking you would buy a new game. There are many, many old games that is not going to play on your computer. That is the price of progress. You may also be disappointed with trying to use your PS3 controller on your system. The XBox controller works just fine but then it is Microsoft and your operating system is Microsoft. I won't buy any game that doesn't state it will play on Vista or Win-7.

Also buying older games won't give you the same results as the new games built for todays GPUs. You need a game that supports DirectX 10 or 11.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 02 Feb 2012 at 8:38am
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:35am
Thanks Frank, I guess I just figured that my system would handle anything even older games.  I did mention GTA4 earlier in this thread but no one really mentioned that I may have any issues with the game so I figured I'd give it a shot. 

As for controllers, the XBOX controller works without a hitch?  I really do not like the XBOX controller, I prefer the PS3 style.  I do see some controllers meant for Windows that are pretty much PS3 COPIES.  In other words, they are pretty much identical to the PS3 controllers but are meant for windows.  Do you have any recommendations as to which one of these I should check out?  I am not sure which one would work without issues. 
System:
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:23pm
Kane, I don't use a game controller so not much help in finding one that works other than the Xbox one. With time you can learn to get use to any of them if they work. I don't like to use a keyboard and mouse but had to learn because most games don't support a Joy Stick these days.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 02 Feb 2012 at 1:24pm
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:31pm
really?  So games like battlefield 3 and MW3, I would have to play with a keyboard or do these games support a keypad?
System:
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:32pm
Some games really are better using a controller then mouse and keyboard even on PC. Games like Arkham Asylum/City and the GTA games (starting with III) are designed to be played with a controller and can be a pain to try and play with a mouse and keyboard.

My brother worked on both Batman games and even he used a 360 controller to test all the different version. Most games are not created and tested on a "developer console" like some people think. It's all done on PCs from start to finish as the publishers do not allow any discs to be created until the discs are actually produced for release. A sample of those discs will be tested strictly for quality control.

So for the PC, 360 and PS3 versions he used only the 360 controller plugged into his computer. The only exception was when they had to work on something specific to the control of one of the other platforms.

Personally I remember trying to play through Arkham Asylum with my keyboard and it was terrible. As soon as I switched to a controller things like my combo numbers and over all survivability in fights were much better.

I also tried playing GTA III and Vice City using a keyboard and trying to control the vehicles was a pain. It was even worse when you have to try and do something specific with a vehicle like a race or have to shoot and drive at the same time. A thumb stick offers much better control when handling a vehicle.

Shooting and driving in the GTA games depends heavily on camera control to adjust your aim with out having to mess with your steering. Which again goes back to thumb sticks being so useful.

Edited by jmaster299 - 02 Feb 2012 at 2:36pm

kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 4:26pm
well guys, I went out to Best Buy and bought myself an XBOX Wireless Controller that is meant for Windows.  I installed the software and what happens?  The freakin thing doesn't connect.  I cannot get this damn thing to work.  I cannot tell you how freakin sick I am of trying to game on my PC... it obviously takes a genius to be able to play games on the PC so you know what?  All you guys who are enjoying your games on your PC's, you guys are all genius's.... Its like no matter how much money I spend on the PC, Games, Controllers, etc... I just cant seem to win and at least enjoy a damn game other than FSX..
System:
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 4:29pm
Oh man, the wireless Xbox controller for PC, I have nothing but horror stories about those things. Literally, every. single. person. I know who had one had the receiver die on them, or it was DOA.

I used to use the Logitech Wireless Rumblepad 2, I think its been upgraded to something newer. I never had much issue with it, but I've since changed over to a wired Xbox 360 controller since so many titles recognize it instantly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>