FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

680M Price is crazy!

Post Date: 2012-06-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
madwiese1 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote madwiese1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 680M Price is crazy!
    Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 11:46am
Wow I noticed that DS added the 680M card today.  I was hoping it didnt come out before my computer shipped, because I didn't want to add another cost! ha!  Well it did, but I dont think it is worth 300 more than the 7970. 

670m Base Price
675M +98
AMD 7970m +203
680m + 516!

It is costing almost as much as a desktop card these days.  Oops, its costing MORE than most desktop cards!

I by no means am blaming DS, this price is pretty much across the board with other comp manufactures.  I Just find it crazy. 

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 12:54pm
Yes, NVIDIA is charging a pretty penny for the 680M.
stormswa View Drop Down

Quote stormswa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 1:01pm
yep thats the main reason im going with the 670, and from what ive read online there is a very very little difference between the cards.
Scharf19 View Drop Down

Quote Scharf19 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 1:19pm
lol look at the 690 I paid for..   
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 1:45pm
My x17 hasn't been shipped yet and I had already done the upgrade from the 675M to the 7970M. The thought crossed my mind to do the upgrade to the 680M but I'm playing legacy games on my laptop and if it won't run great on the 7970M then the 680M wasn't going to make a difference.

I did check around and DS prices were as good as anyone else without the great customer service so I don't believe I will delay my laptop any longer than I have.

Besides....I figure, if I wanted the 680M sometime in the future, I could send the laptop back to DS for them to do an upgrade. Like I used to say when racing stock cars.....performance cost money Big%20Smile
madwiese1 View Drop Down

Quote madwiese1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Bobby

My x17 hasn't been shipped yet and I had already done the upgrade from the 675M to the 7970M. The thought crossed my mind to do the upgrade to the 680M but I'm playing legacy games on my laptop and if it won't run great on the 7970M then the 680M wasn't going to make a difference.

I did check around and DS prices were as good as anyone else without the great customer service so I don't believe I will delay my laptop any longer than I have.

Besides....I figure, if I wanted the 680M sometime in the future, I could send the laptop back to DS for them to do an upgrade. Like I used to say when racing stock cars.....performance cost money Big%20Smile

When did you order yours?  I went through the exact same thing as you, I upgraded to the 7970 also.  I ordered on the 18th, and am still waiting for it to ship.  I wish it would hurry up, I am out of patience. 
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:53pm
I ordered on the 16th and upgraded when the 7970M was released. The customer service guy was cool and told me (at that time) that they didn't expect delivery till June 8th and if I was fine with that....which I was.I think I read somewhere where Alex said they may have already arrived.
Remember it's estimated 15 business days and there was a holiday after we ordered. It's like waiting for Christmas morning Big%20Smile 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 6:09pm
It'll be worth the wait guys. These new cards do take time to ship, now only if these vendors that release these new cards didn't take so long to deliver them once they were announced. Chilling
big_worm View Drop Down

Quote big_worm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Alex

It'll be worth the wait guys. These new cards do take time to ship, now only if these vendors that release these new cards didn't take so long to deliver them once they were announced. Chilling

I completely agree with the second statement... Whoa
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 12:07pm
Cool
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:14am
I thought about the new cards when starting my build could have waited and chosen the 680 went with the EVGA Classified 580 it was cheaper, water blocked and ready to go. Performance differences is not going to be missed the 580 is an amazing card and up to the task doing everything I want.
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:56am
Originally posted by barbitque

I thought about the new cards when starting my build could have waited and chosen the 680 went with the EVGA Classified 580 it was cheaper, water blocked and ready to go. Performance differences is not going to be missed the 580 is an amazing card and up to the task doing everything I want.

You freaked me out.....I'm going....how the heck is that going to fit in our laptops!!!!! (no worries....just kidding you Big%20Smile )

Then I remembered you are getting the Marauder. We were talking about the 680M.....LOL LOL

Now Alex....if you can overclock and liquid cool a 680M....I'll pay it and wait till the end of July Big%20Smile

BTW...did those 7970M finally show up????. I've checked the build status so many times I got the number memorized Hahaha

edit: can't spell

Edited by Bobby - 13 Jun 2012 at 12:58am
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Bobby

Originally posted by barbitque

You freaked me out.....I'm going....how the heck is that going to fit in our laptops!!!!! (no worries....just kidding you Big%20Smile )

Then I remembered you are getting the Marauder. We were talking about the 680M.....LOL LOL

Ahhh ok I missed that completely I'm on a desktop build. Oops

Edited by barbitque - 13 Jun 2012 at 1:14am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 9:19am
It would be epic if we could!

The cards should be arriving very soon, today or tomorrow.
dflyn003 View Drop Down

Quote dflyn003 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 9:32am
the price may seem crazy but after some research and a lot of thought I called DS got Bryan on the phone and once again upgraded my X17 order to include the 680M.

I have dealt with both Nvidia and AMD products and while I can appreciate the AMD 3870 X-fire setup in my M17 I will have to say that even when I just upgraded my desktop from a 7600GT (yes my desktop is that old) to the 550TI I got extremely good customer support from Nvidia. The customer rep on the chat from the Nvidia web site was great!

That plus I do believe that when it comes to the most important support anyone needs when it comes to GPU's that Nvidia is far ahead of AMD when it comes to drivers for their products and to read that the cards should be arriving very soon, today or tomorrow just makes this week a very good one...
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 10:48am
@dflym003....I agree with you in the AMD drivers; Radeon does tend to release GPU's using buggy drivers and takes a while to fix them. Also, I am getting this machine exclusively for Microsoft FSX and the conventional wisdom is the sim runs better on NVidia cards because of shader issues. The performance bump and price from the 675M to the 7970M made the upgrade a good bet and since FSX is a legacy game that is no longer supported, my expectations are simply that it plays "good enough."

I don't see the performance and cost efficiency from the 7970M to the 680M only because FSX is driven more by the CPU than the GPU. My thought is to see how my configuration runs since I already took the delay hit on this upgrade. If the 7970M works....great; if not, I'll send it back to have DS upgrade to the 680M unless Alex can ask the team what they think of the 7970M running Microsoft FSX.

Bottom line....I agree with you. I've always run NVidia...this is my first ATI card. Also...and I may be mistaken, I think Alex was referring to the delivery time of the 7970M card that I was asking about in my post. You may want to check on that so you don't get your hopes up.

edit: can't spell :)

Edited by Bobby - 13 Jun 2012 at 11:09am
madwiese1 View Drop Down

Quote madwiese1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 2:06pm
I called today to check on the status of my laptop due to it being the 17th buisness day since I ordered it.  I was told by Bryan that the 7970's would be in tomorrow or the next day. 

Still waiting...
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by madwiese1

I called today to check on the status of my laptop due to it being the 17th buisness day since I ordered it.  I was told by Bryan that the 7970's would be in tomorrow or the next day. 

Still waiting...

yeah....but it's just like Christmas Big%20Smile

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:43pm
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply