FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2x Dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W & Gaming !

Post Date: 2012-12-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias901 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alias901 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2x Dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W & Gaming !
    Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 6:21am
Hello, my intention for the next (maximum) two years is to build and buy a very, very powerful PC from Digital Point only for gaming ! Now I'm wondering if 2x Dual (Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.10GHz (20MB Cache) (Eight-Core CPU) (16 CPU Cores Total) on a EVGA SR-2 motherboard can be used for gaming, AND if they get BETTER results than an Intel i7 3970X  Question

Thankyou and I appreciate any help :)
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 7:46am
From what I've seen the clear answer is no. Games won't utilize 32 threads.. hahah. The 3970X or similar has out performed 2x Xeons consistently for gaming. 2x Xeon's would make a kick ass work station though!

It is pretty much covered here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010985/digital-storm-aventum-review-impressive-build-but-misses-the-target.html
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 7:48am
PS- not sure why DS sent a "gaming" machine to PC world with 2x Xeons. Other builds that DS have previously made could beat the pants off the competition listed in the article.
Alias901 View Drop Down

Quote Alias901 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 7:59am
Originally posted by MarkNY

From what I've seen the clear answer is no. Games won't utilize 32 threads.. hahah. The 3970X or similar has out performed 2x Xeons consistently for gaming. 2x Xeon's would make a kick ass work station though!

It is pretty much covered here: pcworld.com/article/2010985/digital-storm-aventum-review-impressive-build-but-misses-the-target.html

Then why Gamespot tried to build the best of the best gaming PCs by using those kind of processors ? : gamespot.com/news/greatest-gaming-rig-part-two-evga-sr-2-intel-x5680-crucial-ballistix-6280674

Edited by Alias901 - 14 Dec 2012 at 8:02am
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 8:20am
I think they just tried to build a monster because it is easy for people to believe that the most $$ invested will yield the best results (notice there are NO benchmarks in that article). The key point to remember is that a Xeon processor cannot be OC'd, meaning it will run at 3.3 ghz while for a ton less money, you can go with a processor that can be OC'd to at least 4.5 ghz. Since games don't generally use more than 2 cores of one CPU, the extra speed will yield better results, at least in all of the benchmarks I've seen.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 8:22am
Total overkill for gaming.  The article even admits to that fact.   Gaming uses 4 cores at best and the higher overclocking on the 3770k or 6 core 3930k chip would yield better gaming results.

I believe that  Gamespot built that rig for for bragging-rights, to spend the most money and get the most cores.  There are apps they mention that would utilize it but not gaming.  A program has to be able to use the cores, no matter how many you have,  for it to be effective. 

Just my thoughts.  Big%20Smile

MarkNY beat me to it.  Strong

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Dec 2012 at 8:24am
Alias901 View Drop Down

Quote Alias901 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 8:43am
Ok thanks alot guys for clarifing me out, and yea I agree with you ,nowadays the games uses maximum 4 cores so no use to waste huge money on 2 xeon procs!

Thanks alot ! :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 8:48am
Our pleasure. Big%20Smile   You might consdier letting DS build you an awesome rig.  No sales pitch.....I don't work for them.  I've done the build thing and now like the idea of a great team of pros watching my back.  But, either way, best of luck. 
 Post Reply Post Reply