Wireless Monitor?

Post Date: 2014-12-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Wireless Monitor?
    Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 5:47am
Hi All,

Here's what I want to do and I would love thoughts on whether or not this is practical or feasible.

Buy a Bolt II that I'll keep in my entertainment center under my TV and hooked directly up to my router, which is also in that area. I would then like to use my Bolt with my regular 24'' computer monitor that is at my office desk, about 30 feet away. In essence, I want to be able to play games at my desk while the physical computer is tucked away across the room.

Is this possible? If so, would there likely be lag that would make gaming harder/impossible? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 11:09am
Yes, this is possible. You can do it wirelessly with WiDi, WirelessHD, or other proprietary display streaming devices. You'll want to keep an unobstructed line-of-sight between the transmitter and receiver, and probably want it operating in unused wireless spectrum (some do operate up in the 60GHz area, which should be well clear of all of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz out there).

I'm not sure what the latency is like...I've seen Intel demoing MiraCast with a game, but I don't recall reading a review about this (there could very well be some out there, just Google it).
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 1:49pm
If I have a spare few moments later on, I'll test to see how my wireless monitor performs if I remotely locate my wireless antenna to point down the hall. I'm sort of curious how it performs. I know I can't get much outside of the room, but that is with walls obstructing the signal in the 5GHz spectrum.
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 2:07pm
Thanks for the info!

I suppose I would also have to find a pretty solid wireless mouse and keyboard- unless there is an all-in-one device, but I haven't located it yet.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 2:49pm
I think the router to the 24" TV will work but you will have a problem with the mouse and keyboard. If I get about 10' from my computer the mouse stops working. For any chance of a good gaming experience I would be thinking about one of the AC routers.

Your biggest problem may be putting your computer in an entertainment center, especially in a closed compartment. Even if it is open in the front you may need a small fan in the compartment to move the warm air out. You will need to cut a good size hole in the back of the entertainment center for air flow.

Frank   

Edited by FrankW - 01 Dec 2014 at 2:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply